Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

VAR officials for Palace...

I can’t believe that the PL will continue with it in this format next season but this is how it will be for this one. They can’t change its use half way through. Just pray that the championship don’t have this in place next season 

The real problem is judging when the ball leaves the foot of the person crossing the ball. It cannot be judged to the microsecond, but VAR officials are judging the decsion by the micro second. It is just faulty system and doesn't hold up. 

The linesman has a far better feel for the situation and in both cases - Pukki's the other day and this one today, the linesman was probably right.  Today's was marginal and you could argue that he could have given the decision in favour of the attacker, which is fair enough, but he didn't - to him it looked offside.  All VAR did was choose a moment in time that cannot be accurate to the millimetre and as the other day, just makes a mockery of VAR and the way it is being applied.

It was onside. We never get thr rub of the green. I don't get why we took pukki off and didnt bring on a striker. Would've rather idah have a few more mins.

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The real problem is judging when the ball leaves the foot of the person crossing the ball. It cannot be judged to the microsecond, but VAR officials are judging the decsion by the micro second. It is just faulty system and doesn't hold up. 

The linesman has a far better feel for the situation and in both cases - Pukki's the other day and this one today, the linesman was probably right.  Today's was marginal and you could argue that he could have given the decision in favour of the attacker, which is fair enough, but he didn't - to him it looked offside.  All VAR did was choose a moment in time that cannot be accurate to the millimetre and as the other day, just makes a mockery of VAR and the way it is being applied.

Agreed. But if I am correct in my understanding the VAR referee is told to use the first frame AFTER the ball has left the foot of the passer to judge offside. And at least based on what we were shown on TV that didn't seem to be the case for Wickham today, and it was clearly the wrong frame used for Pukki v Spurs. 

As many others has said, quite apart from the fact the technology is too imprecise to be used the way they are trying to use it, the game would be much better served by trusting the on-field officials as they get most things right anyway. Key word in VAR is ASSIST, just as the Linesmen/women are Referee Assistants, so should VAR be, not an omnipresent being passing decisions from heaven. 

Two things annoy me on this. The first is the frame and whether it is indeed correct. The photo they used shows the ball at Zahas feet.

the second is that after Pukki it’s a double whammy. Ok so maybe today it’s technically correct but we have a situation where on Saturday the linesman gave it onside and VAR ruled it off. Then today the linesman actually tries to do his job and gives it off and VAR rules it on. It’s so frustrating and regardless of whether both decisions can be proven correct or incorrect I just keep coming back to the fact that in the pre VAR works we probably would have taken 6 points from those two home games and things would look rather different. Across the season I honestly think we’d be 6 or 7 points better off if there were no VAR. 

Besides which it's easier as a fan to cuss a referee or linesman over a poor offside decision, but we all get over it because we know to err is human. And even though we may get frustrated at a game, the game goes on and passions - good or bad - get vented. This VAR mess is just killing atmosphere and people are quite rightly questioning what the hell is going on, is it all being done for TV? Why did we not get shown the VAR check image for Arsenal v Man U goal just now, that looked just as tight as today's Wickham decision (I thought the Arsenal attacker was offside). 

Edited by Surfer

bad luck with var cost us 4 pts in space of 3 days.Without doubt this decisions affected fans and make also players feel bad and lost his confidence.

We must agree that also other results make us no favour.

to sum up 

No good signing in the summer as only Byram make any presence and Amadou so so.

Nightmare injury crisis soon after start of the season.

Referees and Var decisions 90% of 50-50 is against us.

Lowest experience top level both staff and players+lowest Budget.

After all this work against us we must agree than all logic say we stand no chance to stay in this farce-var debut season.

We must hope team to be on his legs and competitive and we to not loose too many key players.

I not see any chance Buendia and Pukki to back and play in Championship,highly possible we hard to keep Aarons and Godfrey both.