Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vos

Standing Up in the Regency Stand

Recommended Posts

I am seated in the Upper Regency Stand slightly left of the goal. Over recent games there has been an increasing tendency for spectators to stand up whenever we look to have an opportunity to score. At a quick guess I would put the number well in excess of a hundred. This can happen five or six times when we are attacking that end. When we do score I rarely see the ball crossing the line. I was so frustrated at the Spurs game that I complained to the three stewards who are stationed at the "stand exit" at half time. To my amazement there response was simply "its part of the game and its bound to happen and they cannot do much about it". I find this unacceptable and propose to contact the Club. Before doing this I would welcome any comments or contributions from fellow posters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get a life, I also sit river end upper and I have to slowly raise my massively bloated body off my seat like everyone else when there looks to be a goal

What next you will be expecting us to stop moaning for the entirety of the game next 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an e-mail this morning from the Safe Standing Roadshow. It included a link to a quiz about Safe Standing. One of the questions was "The Sports Ground Safety Authority issued clubs covered by the all-seater policy with new advice on dealing with persistent standing this season. It said that if all previously used measures to encourage fans to sit down have failed, some additional steps should be considered. Which of the following did that include?"

The correct answer was "The SGSA has now advised clubs that if measures to encourage fans to sit fail, they should consider installing rail seats or independent rails in areas where persistent standing is prevalent in order to enhance spectator safety there."

So my advise is, don't complain unless you want the club to install rail seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Saturday  the bloke 3 rows in front of me stood up ( he does regularly) thus making it necessary for people in front of me to stand up, and hence myself. 

Saturday, with me being the easier accessible, I got a tap on the shoulder from a steward telling me to sit down. I told him I would when he got the others in front to sit down, his reply was that he couldnt reach them, and I should tap them on the shoulder when they stood up. I told him that was his job and I was there to get on with the game. He then walked away

Interesting during a quiet part of the game i nipped to the loo, and said steward didn't say a word. I would happily have discussed.

The bloke who stood up first is always doing it, not even for anything over exciting,  but had the stewards nipped this in the bud, it wouldn't have been a problem. 

That said i do think it's part and parcel of the game, and if during a moment of excitement people in fron stand, then stand up too, get involved, BUT, then when the moment passes sit back down again.

Interested to hear the clubs response if op does contact them.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fair point. I only stand because the people in front of me do and otherwise I wouldn't be able to see. There's a disabled guy who sits behind me who can't jump up so he misses all the action, and I suppose it's the same for all the kids and short people too.

You're never going to change people's behaviour, but I do wonder if people give much thought to those behind them when they stand up. I guess it's fairly symptomatic of what's going on in the country these days. Sad really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been to 3 away games this season and only sat down during halftime. That’s probably the same for most of our fans in the away end. I haven’t noticed any stewards telling fans to sit down. Do the away fans at Carrow Road still stand up for the whole game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I’ve been to 3 away games this season and only sat down during halftime. That’s probably the same for most of our fans in the away end. I haven’t noticed any stewards telling fans to sit down. Do the away fans at Carrow Road still stand up for the whole game?

Saturday was the first time I've seen / heard a steward ask in the stand I'm in.

There was a letter sent to barclay block A a couple of seasons ago about persistent standing, I recall

I have NEVER sat at an away game.

Edited by Greavsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

You need to get a life, I also sit river end upper and I have to slowly raise my massively bloated body off my seat like everyone else when there looks to be a goal

What next you will be expecting us to stop moaning for the entirety of the game next 

I'm also River Upper, and compared to other parts of the ground there's very little standing. I'm in the very back row, as my old man has an artificial hip and needs to stand up from time to time, so I'm on my feet more than most.

I guess if you have genuine mobility problems it must be really frustrating, but ultimately it's always going to happen, we're not at the Theatre Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

On Saturday  the bloke 3 rows in front of me stood up ( he does regularly) thus making it necessary for people in front of me to stand up, and hence myself. 

Saturday, with me being the easier accessible, I got a tap on the shoulder from a steward telling me to sit down. I told him I would when he got the others in front to sit down, his reply was that he couldnt reach them, and I should tap them on the shoulder when they stood up. I told him that was his job and I was there to get on with the game. He then walked away

Interesting during a quiet part of the game i nipped to the loo, and said steward didn't say a word. I would happily have discussed.

The bloke who stood up first is always doing it, not even for anything over exciting,  but had the stewards nipped this in the bud, it wouldn't have been a problem. 

That said i do think it's part and parcel of the game, and if during a moment of excitement people in fron stand, then stand up too, get involved, BUT, then when the moment passes sit back down again.

Interested to hear the clubs response if op does contact them.

 

Is it me ? Have to confess I get carried away far to easily ( especially if it’s something to do with the ref or VAR ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Is it me ? Have to confess I get carried away far to easily ( especially if it’s something to do with the ref or VAR ).

I have no idea, and my reply wasn't looking to 'out' anyone, just report on what happened on Saturday and the stewards inability to resolve the root cause of this particular situation. 

In balance I usually find the steward in my area to be helpful. The one Saturday was a section head, what ever that means. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

I have no idea, and my reply wasn't looking to 'out' anyone, just report on what happened on Saturday and the stewards inability to resolve the root cause of this particular situation. 

In balance I usually find the steward in my area to be helpful. The one Saturday was a section head, what ever that means. 

It means he's been sectioned, because of his head.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:

My comments were totally tounge in cheek as I can’t help myself lol. Even my son constantly says sit down. 

That tell me enough to know you don't sit in front of me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to stay seated for the majority of games the best places to sit are the City Stand and the Jarrold. Almost the only times you will find yourself standing is to let latecomers shuffle past, just before and after HT and for those that leave early.

In other words a fair bit 😉

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All seats should have an automatic restraining bar to prevent standing while the game is in progress. If in need of a comfort break you should raise your hand and await a stewards instructions.

Anyone attemting to leave before the final whistle should be hung drawn and quartered in the centre circle as halftime entertainment during the next match.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

All seats should have an automatic restraining bar to prevent standing while the game is in progress. If in need of a comfort break you should raise your hand and await a stewards instructions.

Anyone attemting to leave before the final whistle should be hung drawn and quartered in the centre circle as halftime entertainment during the next match.

Or if female death by weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's a fair point. I only stand because the people in front of me do and otherwise I wouldn't be able to see. There's a disabled guy who sits behind me who can't jump up so he misses all the action, and I suppose it's the same for all the kids and short people too.

You're never going to change people's behaviour, but I do wonder if people give much thought to those behind them when they stand up. I guess it's fairly symptomatic of what's going on in the country these days. Sad really.

Sorry but when I do go to a game, I will stand up when exciting play takes over. It is a natural reaction rather than sitting. 

I do also stand up when we have had an foul against us or called against us. I will stand if we the players need encouragement when we have had our backs against the walls.

No idea what you mean about if people gave more thought. Should I ask for permission or swap seats so you can stay rooted to your seat.

Sport is exciting and I love that we stand up when it is exciting. So I will write to the club congratulating them on giving us to stand up for over the last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was "amazed" at the Steward's response, I am "extremely surprised" as to the number of replies which do not support me. For the record I have been watching the Canaries for 74 years, been to many grounds, and recall the early days when my dad said "let the boy through to the railings at the front". I can safely say I have been there and done it. Whatever the audience for a paid entertainment event, particularly when it is all seated, I always assumed the general idea was that you could see the whole of the Show. I can understand the odd occasion when people stand and applause at the end, but it is unacceptable to have to get up and down some ten times in a match. In response to some of the cynics I can comfortably achieve this exercise and walk an all round 2 miles to see the match, but that's not the point.

Purely by chance I spoke to a person today, who unknown to me is a steward at the Club, and he tells me in his area No Standing is strictly adhered to. Once he speaks firmly to supporters he never has a problem. He strongly states the Stewards are not doing their job properly and I should report to the Club. In that respect, the stewards I am referring to, just seem to be chatting amongst themselves.

Petriix sums it up. Common sense and thought for other people continues to decline in this country. And finally I know the Club are reluctant to spend any money on improvements to the Regency Stand, but it would cost a minimal amount to video the main culprits. Indeed it would not be a bad idea to put the VAR cameras to better use and introduce them for this purpose !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, vos said:

If I was "amazed" at the Steward's response, I am "extremely surprised" as to the number of replies which do not support me. For the record I have been watching the Canaries for 74 years, been to many grounds, and recall the early days when my dad said "let the boy through to the railings at the front". I can safely say I have been there and done it. Whatever the audience for a paid entertainment event, particularly when it is all seated, I always assumed the general idea was that you could see the whole of the Show. I can understand the odd occasion when people stand and applause at the end, but it is unacceptable to have to get up and down some ten times in a match. In response to some of the cynics I can comfortably achieve this exercise and walk an all round 2 miles to see the match, but that's not the point.

Purely by chance I spoke to a person today, who unknown to me is a steward at the Club, and he tells me in his area No Standing is strictly adhered to. Once he speaks firmly to supporters he never has a problem. He strongly states the Stewards are not doing their job properly and I should report to the Club. In that respect, the stewards I am referring to, just seem to be chatting amongst themselves.

Petriix sums it up. Common sense and thought for other people continues to decline in this country. And finally I know the Club are reluctant to spend any money on improvements to the Regency Stand, but it would cost a minimal amount to video the main culprits. Indeed it would not be a bad idea to put the VAR cameras to better use and introduce them for this purpose !!!!

The stewards at Carrow road are dangerously brain dead, I’ll give you that. However, you aren’t going to stop people getting up when a goal is scored. Good luck on your quest and always remember that Pukki was onside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was my view for most of the Leicester match:

 

 

23AF439D-22A4-4349-898E-2B82401575B9.jpeg
 

Anybody on here recognise the back of their head?

Edited by Nuff Said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Sorry but I agree with the stewards, it’s part of the game.

AGREED as above. If you don’t like it, stay at home and watch it! You won’t be bothered there hopefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bloke in front of me in the Barclay Upper kept standing up. I told the steward who told me to live with it. I told him that the club had issued letters to fans in the Lower Barclay telling them not to stand and asked him for his name so that I could report him to the club. He went and spoke to the idiot concerned who changed his behaviour. 

If you want to stand go in the Lower Barclay 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This was my view for most of the Leicester match:

 

 

23AF439D-22A4-4349-898E-2B82401575B9.jpeg
 

Anybody on here recognise the back of their head?

His first names are Richard Edward 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand in the lower barclay all game bar half time - but I understand other areas of the stadium are different.

I don't think you can get fans not to stand during exciting moments and the rules for standing have always applied to 'PERSISTENT' standing - there is no rule or regulation against standing during intermittent moments of excitement (if you're struggling this season, how on earth did you cope LAST season?). 

I would personally recommend finding a seat in the city stand, or a front row seat where you won't be affected. I'm sure if there is an available seat the club would try to help you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...