Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Getting over VAR

Still annoyed, even furious still, after that marvellous goal being disallowed by var......but.......we have to get used to it for at least the rest of this season and just be even better.   Refs, var officials (who are just refs by another name) are always going to favour big teams whether they mean to or not, so we just have to rise above them and the wretched var.

I'm still wondering what effect it will have on players and whether attackers will start to be more tentative about  their runs. Pukki did everything right according to the rules of the game and yet was still penalised. I hope it doesn't stop them from being positive about making those runs. 

The other thing is that it isn't good to carry anger around and two days later to still be feeling an anger about something is not good. I'm probably not the only one, but var - or more accurately the way var is being used - is just so annoying and the sense of injustice is more because it is so clear that the goal should have stood.

What is worse is that I suspect var officials will defend their use of the var technology, or say they will make it more accurate, but really for offsides the rules on var have to change. Will they do it? I suspect not, because var gives them more control - and officials like to have control. 

It's like the car that is parked in a parking bay with it's bumper half an inch over the white line......you will get some parking wardens who will give the car a ticket for that......I know because that happens where I live......you can't argue with it because technically they are right, but morally they are just being over officious. Some will give it, some won't. Just like refs. The trouble with var is that they have millions of people watching what they do and if the technology makes it look as if a player is offside, they have to give it.

So the use of var HAS to change. The game depends on it.

Edited by lake district canary

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

With respect Lakey - the worst part of VAR is regularly sitting in the Ground watching it live. 

I do love your sermons but you may not be best placed on this one....

I appreciate that. But wherever you are VAR as a fan, the sense of injustice is the same.

I was told by an old boy that when he is in the ground and we score he leaks urine, when VAR rules the goal out he leaks some more. Not very fair is it?

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I was told by an old boy that when he is in the ground and we score he leaks urine, when VAR rules the goal out he leaks some more. Not very fair is it?

That really, truly is taking the p*ss.

• Haha 1

We don’t have to get used to it

as football fans I think we’ve just about done enough “getting used to it”

i, for one, am sick of being treated like scum for going to watch football.

we shouldn’t just “get used to it” we need to take direct action. They want to treat football fans like an inconvenience? We should show them just how inconvenient we can be.

• Like 1

Why should the majority of football get used to it. Just because half a dozen clubs in the Prem, who sack their manager if they don't finish in a CL spot, say the game is too important, the rest have to genuflect. No. No. No.

• Like 1

If you were in the stadiums you would understand why this is boiling over.

I wouldn’t suggest you post this on a Wolves message board today they will come and find you and there will be a public lynching.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I’m not actually on twitter but can see the posts.

On my behalf could you ask them to post this on the Wolves, Sheffield Utd and Palace message boards. We need big flags in the Barclay to. Amazingly 3 clubs that we are not actually keen on on we need to unite with.

I thought the original concept was that technology was only going to be used on the goal line. How did we wind with this? There is a rat to be smelled.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Ordered!

Is there a way you can order without going via twitter ? It would make an even better point as well if a number of palace fans also wore these on Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

Is there a way you can order without going via twitter ? It would make an even better point as well if a number of palace fans also wore these on Wednesday.

https://www.alongcomenorwich.com/merch/

They're only on pre-order at the moment, so won't be delivered until around the Bournemouth game I reckon. If the fans do want to organise something, that'd probably be the time to do it... would give us a couple of weeks to plan what we're going to do.

• Like 1

We all went to school with a kid like Dermot Gallagher or Mike Riley it I suspect most of these other premier league refs. Overwhelming self confidence given little or no actually ability, took themselves very seriously. Most probably given a hard time by the people who could actually play sport. Now they’ve got the power and the limelight and they love it. Jobsworth’s the lot of them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:
10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I appreciate that. But wherever you are VAR as a fan, the sense of injustice is the same.

Totally disagree with you there, it really isn't.........

It really is.

Signing "FCUK VAR" alone from the comfort of your armchair cannot come close to signing it with 20,000 others in the ground. This is not an argument about being a fellow fan that cares equally about the club, I do not doubt that for a minute, this is about the raw emotion of an incident in the moment, with many many others,  within spitting distance of that incident with everybody around you feeding off that raw emotion...........

• Like 1

https://www.givemesport.com/1533917-football-lawmakers-ifab-say-var-should-not-be-used-for-marginal-offside-decisions

not sure if its Horsesh&t or not but worth a read

10 hours ago, Well b back said:

If you were in the stadiums you would understand why this is boiling over.

I wouldn’t suggest you post this on a Wolves message board today they will come and find you and there will be a public lynching.

Even watching on the telly box it felt like the crowd were close to spilling over on Saturday. If something doesn't change I can see it happening soon.