Liverpool VAR

LEVEL......is ON 

as adjudged by a human being not

Artificial Intelligence ???? 

No farke off there is little Intelligence at Heathrow- sorry Stockley Park

another Layer of beaurocracy

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Pukki was onside

I thought so too but not under the present interpretation of the law. 

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Football, along with all sport, exists for entertainment.

Whats entertaining about seeing some lovely moves that result in goals chalked off because someone’s beard was offside? Is the technology good enough to know the split second the ball leaves a players boot to then draw the offside line? Or the millimetres that is the difference between off and onside in some cases?

Cricket has got it spot on. A review based system that has the important element of ‘umpires call’ that exists because those setting the laws of the game understand that technology can’t be trusted 100%. Let the humans officiate the game and use technology for ‘clear and obvious errors’, even for those supposedly non subjective decisions. Cricket is a sport full of clear cut, right or wrong decisions, yet it has umpires call as they’re not stupid enough to assume technology will always get every decision spot on. Cricket also managed to introduce help for the umpires whilst maintaining (and even enhancing) the entertainment of the sport. Football really is run by idiots.

Either radically reform the whole VAR process, or get rid. It’s not football anymore.

Get rid would be better.

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

What about the clear and obvious bit ?

Would love to see 3 league tables, one of var decisions for, one of var decisons against, and one with var taken out of it altogether and the refs decision stands,as previously. Any geek up for the challenge, sounds like a job for Wolfo.

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

the clear and obvious bit doesn’t apply to offsides. You are either offside or not. There’s no grey area.....supposedly

Edited by Fiery Zac

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Doesn't apply to offside which is apparently a matter of fact. You are either offside or on.

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

the clear and obvious bit doesn’t apply to offsides. You are either offside or not. There’s no grey area.....supposedly

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Doesn't apply to offside which is apparently a matter of fact. You are either offside or on.

So it’s just obvious then 😁

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

So it’s just obvious then 😁

It is to the man in the booth who is measuring with set squares and micrometers.😀

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

But that has not been proved beyond any reasonable doubt.

A still frame at an angle of 45 degrees to the players and a couple of red & blue lines proves nothing.

They must have had a camera on the half way line so why was it never shown from that angle.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Yes - it is as clear as that.

But the technology cannot possibly tell the nanosecond the ball was passed (is it the point of contact or when the ball leaves the foot?) but is ‘pretending’ to do so and then trying to get a mm-precise answer from poor input information.  I’m convinced that most of the var offsides are actually incorrect as the wrong frame is being used.

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:

But that has not been proved beyond any reasonable doubt.

A still frame at an angle of 45 degrees to the players and a couple of red & blue lines proves nothing.

They must have had a camera on the half way line so why was it never shown from that angle.

Pointless arguing about it, the result isn't going to be changed. The fact remains that he was given offside.

If they're not careful they are going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. And I for one would be delighted if they do

Eventually money & technology will ruin everything

The thing with Rugby and Cricket is the players have a totally attitude to sport and winning so partial use of VAR works. It has to be all or nothing in football and every goal or handball has to be checked as most teams have a gobby **** (such as Henderson or Ashley Young) who will chase the referee around all game querying decisions and incidents. Has to be totally got rid of.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes - it is as clear as that.

But the technology cannot possibly tell the nanosecond the ball was passed (is it the point of contact or when the ball leaves the foot?) but is ‘pretending’ to do so and then trying to get a mm-precise answer from poor input information.  I’m convinced that most of the var offsides are actually incorrect as the wrong frame is being used.

Well I don't know how you prove that one.

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Pseudo-defending VAR just makes you look pathetic quite frankly.

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Well I don't know how you prove that one.

you can't. Which is why it's ridiculous.

The way it's currently implemented is on borrowed time. 

22 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

What like Emis clear and obvious corner shout ??

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Pseudo-defending VAR just makes you look pathetic quite frankly.

I'm not defending it. It should be binned.

I am merely saying that under the present rules the decisions are correct.

Just now, ricardo said:

I'm not defending it. It should be binned.

I am merely saying that under the present rules the decisions are correct.

Pedantic, it’s ruining the Man City Sheffield United game as well btw.

football is dead and VAR is the coffin they bury it in

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Pedantic, it’s ruining the Man City Sheffield United game as well btw.

football is dead and VAR is the coffin they bury it in

As Hughton said last night, this was bound to be contentious.

Just now, ricardo said:

As Hughton said last night, this was bound to be contentious.

And Chris Hughton is a spurs fan and looks like a re-animated corpse. What’s your point?

It’s odd that this weekend seems to be becoming “the” weekend where fans have decided they’ve had enough.  The problem is, can they make changes they make it work?

Imo you bin var for offsides but keep it for the rest and it’ll be seen to perform a lot better.  But I’d be happy to scrap it entirely.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

And Chris Hughton is a spurs fan and looks like a re-animated corpse. What’s your point?

My point is that there will be very tight decisions which could have gone either way pre VAR but would now enter the realm of the factual. We now go by the technology which is objective not subjective.

The main problem is the time taken to make a decision. You can also argue the technology is not perfect but it is what we have and it is what we go by.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s odd that this weekend seems to be becoming “the” weekend where fans have decided they’ve had enough.  The problem is, can they make changes they make it work?

Imo you bin var for offsides but keep it for the rest and it’ll be seen to perform a lot better.  But I’d be happy to scrap it entirely.

I think out of consistency it must remain for the entire season. You can't change the rule halfway through.

• Like 1