Sign in to follow this  
Il Pirata

Grant Hanley

Fair play, he's played really well since returning to the side. Good old fashioned centre half. Whisper it, but exactly what we've been missing. 

• Like 10

Agreed. Really done well since coming back. Just a shame him and Zimemrman as a pair lacks a bit of pace to recover. 

Still too cumbersome and error-prone at this level, would play Godfrey or Klose over him every single time given the choice tbh.

Just now, Indy_Bones said:

Still too cumbersome and error-prone at this level, would play Godfrey or Klose over him every single time given the choice tbh.

Find this difficult to believe. Godfrey looks better, but I think Grants effectiveness is criminally overlooked. 

1 minute ago, Il Pirata said:

Find this difficult to believe. Godfrey looks better, but I think Grants effectiveness is criminally overlooked. 

Grant Hanley was epic today.

I agree, has defended better than Zimbo during the three games. Lacks a natural ball playing ability but made up for it with resilience.

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy, as we've had far worse players in the past, I just think that others get the nod over him given the choice.

I think we all went into the season expecting our first choices to be 2 from 3 of Klose, Godfrey and Zimm (injuries allowing), with Hanley as 4th choice, in fact, we even nearly loaned him out for the season to Blackburn (we only didn't as we couldn't get a suitable replacement) which kind of backs up the managerial view that he's not a primary selection.

We need to support him whilst Godfrey is out, as at least he's actually a CB unlike either of Tettey or Amadou, but make no mistake, once Ben is back, Grant should be back on the bench again IMHO.

Grant Hanley was ****ing brilliant today - some of his blocks and last ditch tackles were top draw this evening.

I was wrong earlier this season because I felt he got turned too easily. But I’ve since learnt he wasn’t quite fit with a groin injury, and was playing through the pain barrier. That fact shouldn’t be underestimated.

Top performance from our club captain, looking forward to Palace now! 💪🏽

We no longer look as vulnerable at corners since he returned. He's not frightened to stick his head in where it might get thumped.

24 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I don't want to be too harsh on the guy, as we've had far worse players in the past, I just think that others get the nod over him given the choice.

I think we all went into the season expecting our first choices to be 2 from 3 of Klose, Godfrey and Zimm (injuries allowing), with Hanley as 4th choice, in fact, we even nearly loaned him out for the season to Blackburn (we only didn't as we couldn't get a suitable replacement) which kind of backs up the managerial view that he's not a primary selection.

We need to support him whilst Godfrey is out, as at least he's actually a CB unlike either of Tettey or Amadou, but make no mistake, once Ben is back, Grant should be back on the bench again IMHO.

I hope not. If you have watched the last few games we have stopped seeing the same defensive frailties. Certainly in every game I have seen Hanley has looked loads better than Zimmermann, and I have to say Godfrey was destroyed by Wesley at Carrow Road whereas I don’t think Wesley won a header at Villa park.

Dont know about others but I no longer fear the opposition getting corners.

2 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

Better defender than Godfrey deserves to be in the team.Obviously not as gifted but we look a lot better at the back with him.

I actually agree with this. Godfrey has looked classy at times, but at other times has not looked like a natural defender - picking up the wrong runs, not reacting to players free in the box. He has got better, and Hanley is probably more one dimensional. But you can definiely argue Hanley is a better defender. I know that is sacrilege but still

Hanley has done well enough, hasn’t made us look any less like conceding but hasn’t let us down, looks better that he Hanley who started the season.

Like others Godfrey is a far better all round defender, but there is the call to play all three with Godfrey just ahead of the two CB.

Additionally you can see with each game just how good Zimbo is getting, as he gets fully match fit. It might be Zimbo makes both Godfrey and Hanley better defenders.

Thought he was unlucky with the penalty, it’s not like he took the diving cheat Kane out, slid alongside him and the well practiced fall into the defender to get a penalty worked.

A season ago, Hanley and Klose were first choice, remember this goal 

Zimmermann was perhaps struggling to adapt with people questioning whether Dortmands U23 captain was just a sentimental buy from Farke - the Tony Andreu signing, and Godfrey was either still playing for Shrewsbury, or was still largely thought of as a DM.

Dont get me wrong, Zimbo and Godfrey both took their opportunities and made the shirt their own. But I think a lot of people were quick to dismiss Hanley

Just now, Indy said:

Thought he was unlucky with the penalty, it’s not like he took the diving cheat Kane out, slid alongside him and the well practiced fall into the defender to get a penalty worked.

I don't disagree, but we all know how the game is played these days, and the minute you fully commit to a complete slide, unless it's an inch-perfect tackle, chances are a penalty shout may well be given.

It's an indictment of the modern game, and we all know the risks when it happens as well.

Had it not been Zimbo, but a big centre half from another team, chances are we'd be saying it was a clear penalty and the defender was foolish to lunge in, especially against a striker as good as Kane.

Still shouldn't have happened regardless, as we should have had the free-kick from the foul on TT, 20 seconds earlier...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Out of all our defenders a Zimbo looks very capable, got a good pace, good size, reads the game well and certainly commands the back four. Great defender and might just be the key to picking up the points needed to scrape 17th, if not will be the best defender in the championship next year.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Additionally you can see with each game just how good Zimbo is getting, as he gets fully match fit. It might be Zimbo makes both Godfrey and Hanley better defenders.

I thought Zimbo's penalty was a bit like something I saw earlier. Cant remember who it was, but similar position it was a long slide to block an anticipated cross. Opposition winger simply cut inside and went past him. Kane, instead had the nous to change direction so that Zimbo, commited, brought him down. Definite penalty, but one that Kane made happen. 

What was frustrating for me was that we had soaked up 10 minutes of their pressure quite comfortably and were playing quite safe. Then the ball falls kindly and we try to attack. The second we did I expected them to score on the counter, utilising the spce now available which we had previously denied them. Seen it happen time and time again. I hate trying to defend a one goal lead, but that little attack we naively did just opened us up at the back. Such a shame

Agree that it was given as a penalty, but definitely not by Zimbo, more won by diving, I have an issue with the manner of the reaction and scream by Kane, rolling around holding his foot when it hadn’t been touched, that’s enough for me to say get up you cheating xxxxx.

I can guarantee it wouldn’t have been given had that been Pukki in the Spurs box.

Edited by Indy

18 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Why do we have two Indies? Guys, get a room

No worse than the 470 Waveney's we've had 😄

At least me and the other Indy are totally different people!

• Like 1

Fair play to him, has been very solid since his return. He's been out in the wilderness for one reason and another but has been a true pro. Looks to have lost a bit of weight which seems to have helped. If we can get Klose fit we'll have 4 very good CHs. Not sure they are real Premier League quality but will be **** hot in the Chump.

Hanley has done well last 2 games, does BG get straight back in? I think Grant is actually better at the defending element. Obviously Godfrey has his all round attributes. For me Hanley stays in as long as he is fit and his performances are worthy. 

20 hours ago, Well b back said:

I hope not. If you have watched the last few games we have stopped seeing the same defensive frailties. Certainly in every game I have seen Hanley has looked loads better than Zimmermann, and I have to say Godfrey was destroyed by Wesley at Carrow Road whereas I don’t think Wesley won a header at Villa park.

Dont know about others but I no longer fear the opposition getting corners.

A little bit premature - we conceded from a corner in Hanley's first game back against Wolves (not that it was anything to do with Hanley). 

2 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

No worse than the 470 Waveney's we've had 😄

At least me and the other Indy are totally different people!

Oh no we’re not!👍😂💛💚