Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

What did we learn. Vranic must start.

I was worried he'd be too languid in his application, particularly as a DM, but on today's evidence he gives us so much more creatively that it's worth taking the risk - especially now our defence is starting to look more solid, more physically resilient (albeit still with mistakes in it).

What was really pleasing to see was the number of players flooding the box today, compared to the lone Teemu + A N Other (if lucky) against Villa.

Absolutely. My MOM. Has shown he can stick it in and gives you the creativity you miss with other players in there. Several defence splitting passes today. Scored with his weaker foot. Put himself about as much as Trybull does. A great performance from him today - deserved more

I’d like to see a team featuring both Vrancic and Cantwell 😜. I think Farke got it bang on tonight, I could say bring Todd on 15 mins earlier, but I think he’s utilised the squad well in fairness, we will be relatively fresh against Palace midweek. 

There will be 1 or 2 other teams that drop off in the second half of the season, for sure - maybe whom you aren’t expecting. It happens every year. I truly believe we can capitalise on that because our performances are far more consistent now than earlier in the season. I’m hopeful and confident it can be us, alongside Watford, who take more points than Villa, Bournemouth etc in the coming weeks and months 💪🏽

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I’d like to see a team featuring both Vrancic and Cantwell 😜. I think Farke got it bang on tonight, I could say bring Todd on 15 mins earlier, but I think he’s utilised the squad well in fairness, we will be relatively fresh against Palace midweek. 

There will be 1 or 2 other teams that drop off in the second half of the season, for sure - maybe whom you aren’t expecting. It happens every year. I truly believe we can capitalise on that because our performances are far more consistent now than earlier in the season. I’m hopeful and confident it can be us, alongside Watford, who take more points than Villa, Bournemouth etc in the coming weeks and months 💪🏽

100% correct AM and something I mentioned a few weeks ago. 

However, I believe the New year game is probably our last one to possibly salvage a season. Three points needed. No excuses.

• Thanks 1

Always been my issue when playing both Tettey and Trybull, they're great at breaking up play, but offer virtually nothing creatively, in fact, it's rare to see Trybull do virtually anything in a forward or creative manner.

Vrancic and Leitner (when he's on form) both offer the opposite, much more creativity and tempo, but defensively not as effective.

That's why having Vrancic alongside Tettey worked so well IMHO, Alex worked on the midfield break up play (Vrancic did help), but then Vrancic was able to spray balls forward almost at will to give us something to work with, had it not been for the possible concussion, I think he'd have played the full match, and would have deserved to on that showing.

44 minutes ago, East Rider said:

100% correct AM and something I mentioned a few weeks ago. 

However, I believe the New year game is probably our last one to possibly salvage a season. Three points needed. No excuses.

This is where it could happen. Are we good enough to beat Palace away from their place where they’re very impressive?

100%.

And if we do, our bunch of lads confidence and belief will go through the roof, not to mention us supporters. We’ll be right back in it. And that’s one powerful thing, Palace to me could be season defining 🥊

I'd add that if Cantwell would have started instead of Onel with the reverse switch happening once Todd would have tired, then we would maybe have been more effective. Onel hasn't brought much much quality of late as teams seem to have worked out he's not as widely dynamic as some others we have. I thought the Spuds weakeness was on that side and we could have put them to the sword earlier. 

I'm not complaining though,  a decent performance all said and done bar a rash "2019" challenge that got punished and a few not jumping in the wall. 

2 hours ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

Trybull is a decent player but all he ever does is pass it back or sideways. Vrancic is a much more progressive player

I've always felt Trybull can be a bit anonymous. When he's playing well he does the simple stuff and is neat and tidy, but ideally you want a player who does all that but also offers something more. Vrancic has a good range of passing and is a goal threat from distance but he can be a bit lightweight and drifts in and out of games. Certainly today he was fantastic and he had some great performances last season, eg. Elland Road where he dominated. He does need a solid DM alongside him though.

With both him and Buendia in the team you've got two quality playmakers and it really gives the opposition something to think about.

He's a great passer. He keeps the ball. He scores goals. He creates goals. He wins tackles. He wins headers.

With him and Emi in the team at the same time we play some brilliant stuff and those two clearly have an understanding (great football brains). 

I believe the stts show Palace are better away from Selhurst certainly true earlier in season.

Did Onel play in second half not one mention in 2nd.

Another chance for us to play another team off the park in first half.  Then to capitulate in second half last 3 at home and at Villa.  Certain players look jaded and tired are they fit enough or trained too hard?

Mario was excellent last night. Whether he will be as effective against a team that really presses we shall see. Spurs were lazy first half and the defending for his goal was appalling. Hopefully he will figure against Palace and it wasn't a run out just to shuffle the pack. MOM for me.

Maybe we have stumbled upon our best combination there, have to say that Todd off the bench was also a great option, he injected huge energy into the game with some purpose when he came on.