Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

Red card for VAR ?

Chris Kavanagh - the man in charge of VAR today.

Chris Kavanagh became a Select Group 1 referee for the 2017/18 season after working his way up the football pyramid.

The Manchester-born referee started officiating in 1998 as a 13-year-old, plying his trade in local football, before being promoted to take charge of matches in the National League in 2012.

Kavanagh refereed in the Football League regularly from the 2014/15 season and in 2016/17 he was the man in the middle on 27 occassions for the EFL Championship campaign.

Prior to his promotion to Select Group 1 status, Kavanagh made his Premier League debut in April 2017 as West Bromwich Albion lost to Southampton 1-0 at The Hawthorns, while he has been fourth official in the top flight on a number of occasions.

Kavanagh was also the fourth official for the League One Play-off Final between Scunthorpe United and Millwall at Wembley at the end of the 2016/17 season.

What an arseole

o42675.png

Cricket sorts it with "umpire's call." I thought that it was supposed to be this way with VAR - weren't we told "clear and obvious mistake?"

11 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Chris Kavanagh - the man in charge of VAR today.

Chris Kavanagh became a Select Group 1 referee for the 2017/18 season after working his way up the football pyramid.

The Manchester-born referee started officiating in 1998 as a 13-year-old, plying his trade in local football, before being promoted to take charge of matches in the National League in 2012.

Kavanagh refereed in the Football League regularly from the 2014/15 season and in 2016/17 he was the man in the middle on 27 occassions for the EFL Championship campaign.

Prior to his promotion to Select Group 1 status, Kavanagh made his Premier League debut in April 2017 as West Bromwich Albion lost to Southampton 1-0 at The Hawthorns, while he has been fourth official in the top flight on a number of occasions.

Kavanagh was also the fourth official for the League One Play-off Final between Scunthorpe United and Millwall at Wembley at the end of the 2016/17 season.

What an arseole

o42675.png

Shame on him. He should be struck off as a  referee.

44 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Only Hughton defending the decision. Someone who is perhaps bitter methinks

He's also Spurs through and through to be fair

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Hughton was fair with his comments for both sides - he even said "we" at one point when talking about us.

Nobody can "be fair" if they thought it was offside. Nobody.

LDC, instead of sticking up for everyone all the time why not, just once in a while, be bloody critical of someone

Edited by Making Plans

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hughton was fair with his comments for both sides - he even said "we" at one point when talking about us.

What did he say?

From what I recall of Hughton's comments, he simply said that when you introduce a system like VAR, you have to accept the decisions it makes, and if VAR says it was offside, then it was offside, it doesn't matter if the pundits, fans, commentators or even match officials don't think it was, VAR has spoken, and that's the risk you run with having it in place.

Just now, Indy_Bones said:

From what I recall of Hughton's comments, he simply said that when you introduce a system like VAR, you have to accept the decisions it makes, and if VAR says it was offside, then it was offside, it doesn't matter if the pundits, fans, commentators or even match officials don't think it was, VAR has spoken, and that's the risk you run with having it in place.

But that's just ****. Jesus, if he, as an ex player/manager thinks like that then it's time to chuck it in the bin

I don't disagree with the sentiment MP, but that IS the decision the FA and Premier League have made in the way VAR is being used.

I personally thought it was only meant to check clear and obvious errors, yet when the players on the pitch, match officials and fans in the ground have no objection to a goal, yet VAR overrules all of that, then we do have to question its usage and implementation IMHO.

Hughton could be braver in saying that although that is the system, in this instance it's clearly not good for the game and that the League really needs to look at this sort of thing more, but I guess he's scared of saying anything that may be deemed too controversial so he can get another managerial job, or keep doing punditry. One thing that could always be said of the guy was he was very diplomatic and rarely criticised others clubs, referees or players, so it's not like he's saying anything out of character with his comments ref the offside today.

24 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

And I do not understand why people in the game talk about Cricket to justify VAR. In Cricket, it is only used when a team appeals the umpire's decision.

I can see the merit in Clubs getting two appeals per game and if they are correct they don't lose it and still have two left, or one as the case may be. And it is similar in the NFL. But in the NFL, the onfield umpire decides. The man who is controlling the game.

I agree, there should be one man making decisions, the ref. I think each head coach/manager should have two challenges per game, forfeiting a substitution if you fail in your challenge. If a manager does not challenge, VAR does not look at it.

20 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I agree, there should be one man making decisions, the ref. I think each head coach/manager should have two challenges per game, forfeiting a substitution if you fail in your challenge. If a manager does not challenge, VAR does not look at it.

NFL has it right. Ref can go to the sideline any time he likes. Coaches get 2 challenges for rulings on the field. If the video has no clear evidence to overturn it then the ruling on the field stands as called. They also have all scoring plays reviewed as otherwise the coaches would just challenge every goal, but again it should be the ref making that decision and only overturning it if the video has clear and indisputable evidence that it shouldn't stand. All penalties also subject to review.

That would literally solve every single issue with VAR

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, kick it off said:

NFL has it right. Ref can go to the sideline any time he likes. Coaches get 2 challenges for rulings on the field. If the video has no clear evidence to overturn it then the ruling on the field stands as called. They also have all scoring plays reviewed as otherwise the coaches would just challenge every goal, but again it should be the ref making that decision and only overturning it if the video has clear and indisputable evidence that it shouldn't stand. All penalties also subject to review.

That would literally solve every single issue with VAR

I'm not a fan of reviewing every goal. Especially on today's evidence. Pukki was a yard on side, but the goal was ruled out because it was automatically reviewed by a cheat.

2 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I'm not a fan of reviewing every goal. Especially on today's evidence. Pukki was a yard on side, but the goal was ruled out because it was automatically reviewed by a cheat.

But coaches will just challenge every goal regardless if you don't put that in. The ref on the pitch reviewing that goal without misleading lines, just the photo, does not change his mind.

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Oceania was at war with EastAsia. Oceania has always been at war with EastAsia. 

There are 5 fingers. Why do you persist with saying there are 4?

The off side rule was introduced in 1863 to stop goal hanging. I have to ask, can any ref prove Pukki is goal hanging when the defender has a yard head start?

15 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Plus it takes away from the euphoria of the moment.

Absolutely. Its a massive kick in the teeth and changes the entire mood of the game. Krul's penalty save and Pukki's goal. Without VAR we'd have beaten both Spurs and Arsenal this season. We'd still be bottom but we and the players deserve our moments of glory

The defenders hand looks to be further forwards than his knee, why has the line been drawn from the knee if his hand is the furthest part of his body? In fact why the **** are we even having to debate this farcical ****? For every season in football history up until this one that’s a perfectly legal and fantastic goal 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I actually think all premier league fans should bring large red cards with a two finger V on it to be held aloft just before KO.

This is a very serious point. If it’s something we start maybe other clubs will join in ?

You guys that fund the flags, could you not organise this ?

• Like 1

EFL will consider 2020/2021 Season VAR if the teams want it - i.e. too many crap decisions from the ‘professionals’ currently tasked with the job.

As an ex player, Lino and County ref. Level is on. Having some remote observer with access to computer generated ‘lines’ just sucks the life out of the game (to misquote Chris Wilder ) especially as all it is [is] another ‘opinion’ .

19 minutes ago, Well b back said:

This is a very serious point. If it’s something we start maybe other clubs will join in ?

You guys that fund the flags, could you not organise this ?

Agreed. Is it possible to organise one of those Parliament Petitions where the subject has to be debated in Parliament if enough people sign the petition. I don't know a single football supporter who attends games who is for it.

Edited by Hairy Canary

I guess if you're a neutral watching a game on sky it 'adds drama' - and with all the foreign markets for premier league football theres gonna be a lot of neutrals.

But any proper football fan wants that excellent ball from Vrancic and calm finish from Pukki to be a goal.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I guess if you're a neutral watching a game on sky it 'adds drama' - and with all the foreign markets for premier league football theres gonna be a lot of neutrals.

But any proper football fan wants that excellent ball from Vrancic and calm finish from Pukki to be a goal.

Id give that a thumbs up if I could have any more reactions on this forum today

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The whole football world ( including MOD ) other than Hughton because of today now beleive VAR needs to be scrapped and this was clearly not a clear and obvious error and in fact most people beleive Pukki wasn’t even offside, yet he now has 1 Allie you.

You really cannot be serious ? Surely you have only said this to cause an argument ?

1 hour ago, JF said:

The defenders hand looks to be further forwards than his knee, why has the line been drawn from the knee if his hand is the furthest part of his body? In fact why the **** are we even having to debate this farcical ****? For every season in football history up until this one that’s a perfectly legal and fantastic goal 

Its supposed to be the most forward part of the body that can play the ball, so hand/arm not included. This is why Twitter is referring to this and other incidents today as 'Armpit Offsides'