Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Great goal, total disgrace. I'm done.

14 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I banned myself from coming on here last night because I was so angry. This morning I'm just deflated and despondent. So much wrong with the system I don't even know where to start.

If it's still being used next season (or is introduced in the Championship if we're relegated), that will probably be my last season as a paying supporter.

I have already made that call after attending live VAR matches, thats me done, until its scrapped or were back in the championship, also going to cancel Sky after yesterday.When they ask why i am canceling ,I will say because its not football any more. Fans from all the clubs I have spoken to are all saying the same, its killing the game.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JF said:

Zaha was ruled offside for a palace goal yesterday for a pretty much identical call. The one thing you can say about this nonsense is that it is consistent, no matter who the player or team is.

But that's precisely the point, it isn't consistent at all - look at the encroachment on penalties, its quite obvious that they simply flip a coin each time to see whether to retake or not, or maybe they just check whose paying with coin!

20 minutes ago, JF said:

As I’ve said in another thread which may well have been missed, anyone watching the game at the ground won’t be aware that the official reason that Sky were given from Var headquarters for disallowing the goal was that Pukki was coming back from an offside position in the build up to the goal. It was a good 10 - 15 minutes before Sky were then told from Var headquartered that the reason for it was he was offside in the image that’s now seen. Unless Sky have broadcast the wrong information at the time, Var headquarters changed their reasons

Didnt know that. Even more tragic.

17 minutes ago, JF said:

Zaha was ruled offside for a palace goal yesterday for a pretty much identical call. The one thing you can say about this nonsense is that it is consistent, no matter who the player or team is.

Yeah I know but, with big instances like this earlier in the season it felt like VAR tried to get people on side by then changing slightly. I think it happened with handballs early on.

8 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

But that's precisely the point, it isn't consistent at all - look at the encroachment on penalties, its quite obvious that they simply flip a coin each time to see whether to retake or not, or maybe they just check whose paying with coin!

For the offside calls like this one it’s been consistent. Every call like this has been given offside, there were three yesterday. I don’t like it at all but it’s across the board for all clubs. 

Absolute ****ing disgrace. I can't help thinking now there is corruption in the system. I guarantee you that had that goal been scored by Salah for Liverpool it would have stood. Kane was offside, clearly offside. Moura should have been sent off, a reckless dangerous challenge with no attempt to play the ball. Why weren't either checked by VAR?

I have to say Man City have been on the end of some rediculous VAR decisions all season too, so there seems to be a bias towards selected big clubs for whatever aim.

If VAR isn't scrapped I would like refs to be forced to check a pitchside monitor and then give the final decision based on that. I would also like the video image of what they are seeing shown in the stadium.

I have a horrible feeling the EFL will introduce VAR in the Chump just so they can make sure the right clubs get promoted, so I wouldn't want to rush back just yet.

Saw this poster on Twitter underneath Michael Owens tweet where he agreed with the decision.

The technology isn’t being used correctly by the referees. The referees who we cannot hold to account.

The images aren’t provided where a player definitively is onside/offside when the ball is played so may get it wrong. Needs to allow for a margin on error favouring attacking teams.

I fear for them that the word ‘VAR’ and ‘Stockley Park’ are now so toxic that people won’t give them a chance next year should the rules change.

5BBC6BD8-384A-4F92-B8C1-85252997BE43.jpeg

11 minutes ago, JF said:

For the offside calls like this one it’s been consistent. Every call like this has been given offside, there were three yesterday. I don’t like it at all but it’s across the board for all clubs. 

The call yesterday wasn't consistent with other decisions of this type - or accurate. The computed lines were simply in the wrong place. It was a "guess" - mainly because it was so near the half way line that the angles could not be computed accurately from where the cameras were. Look at the other two offsides, they were clearly easier for the technology to judge because the camera was in line with the incident. 

To anyone that has watched football, it was a goal and stands for me as wretched a decision as the one to disallow Jeromes "goal" of the season a few years ago.  It stinks all the way to the top.

3 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Saw this poster on Twitter underneath Michael Owens tweet where he agreed with the decision.

The technology isn’t being used correctly by the referees. The referees who we cannot hold to account.

The images aren’t provided where a player definitively is onside/offside when the ball is played so may get it wrong. Needs to allow for a margin on error favouring attacking teams.

I fear for them that the word ‘VAR’ and ‘Stockley Park’ are now so toxic that people won’t give them a chance next year should the rules change.

5BBC6BD8-384A-4F92-B8C1-85252997BE43.jpeg

They dont really deserve a chance from fans to get it right. It's the fans who go to games who theyve royally shafted. Despite having a pretty much unlimited budget to get something right theyve got it so horribly wrong.

31 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The call yesterday wasn't consistent with other decisions of this type - or accurate. The computed lines were simply in the wrong place. It was a "guess" - mainly because it was so near the half way line that the angles could not be computed accurately from where the cameras were. Look at the other two offsides, they were clearly easier for the technology to judge because the camera was in line with the incident. 

To anyone that has watched football, it was a goal and stands for me as wretched a decision as the one to disallow Jeromes "goal" of the season a few years ago.  It stinks all the way to the top.

Of cause it was a perfect goal but this has happened time and time again this season. Anyone that claims otherwise is talking out their ****. There were three yesterday. Kane had one recently and then there was Mane for Liverpool with the much maligned armpit line

Back as far as the Arsenal game, my opinion on VAR is that the officials have been hiding behind the strict finality of the technology to avoid the responsibility of actual decision making.

The respect for a single referee who was willing to use the pitchside screen- and had the minerals to either admit he made the wrong call or stick with his own decision- would be immense at this point. Unfortunately at this point it seems there are no such heroes and we will continue to let Photoshop decide the outcome of our games.

I don't believe we need a '10-20cm leeway' or to change the rule to just include foot position. We just need better, braver officials who control their games properly and, on the odd occasion they might have it wrong, double check via VAR.

As a side note, since when has 'coming back from an offside position in the build up' ever, ever had anything to do with being onside when the ball was played? 

• Thanks 1

I may have passed this story on before. 

I used to be a London Cab Driver, one day I picked up a guy and we got talking about football and how I was losing 'the love' for the game.

I gave him the example of a game we'd played during our first season back under Lambert and how the game had 'turned' on several decisions by the Referee. 

He explained that he worked for Sky, was involved in specialized filming,  action replays, slow mo's etc and that they were working on 3D for live games.

He continued that the Big Clubs would never be relegated, that it would not be allowed to happen. "Do you know how much it would cost the Premiership to lose one of its biggest earners" "How much would Sky lose in subscriptions around the World if a ManU or Arsenal were to go down"

It was then that I decided that I was not going to pay £50 to see my Team at Stamford Bridge if the result had already been decided. 

Conspiracy theorist? You betcha.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....just to be clear ...my wish for influenza is still ok?.....just want to establish where the marker is??

Is pox ridden a more appropriate term, the Dickensian tone rings a Christmas accord

I'd rather moan at a linesman for a contentious decision than continue with this VAR farce. Initially I thought it would be a good idea but it hasn't worked out that way. Bin it.

I genuinely couldn't face coming on here last night as I was so angry about the VAR debacle. 

I have seen some terrible performances from us over the years and some abysmal refereeing decisions. The angriest I have ever been was when that goal was disallowed yesterday and I watched the replay on my phone. 

VAR has a place in football. However, the FA have managed to find the absolute worst implementation in the world. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I'd rather moan at a linesman for a contentious decision than continue with this VAR farce. Initially I thought it would be a good idea but it hasn't worked out that way. Bin it.

At least you would know a linesman did it with the best intentions. VAR you can’t guarantee that. I wondered why Sky changed their mind as to wether he was offside, it now transpires that 1 hour later when it was realised VAR had used a frame further on and also they had shown the lines placed were likely at an angle they changed their reason to why the goal had been ruled out. 
Since when has somebody getting back onside ( before the ball is kicked ) or running at angle been offside ?

They have been rumbled at last, only this time all football fans have turned against them, other than noticeably Man Utd and Liverpool fans.

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

At least you would know a linesman did it with the best intentions. VAR you can’t guarantee that. I wondered why Sky changed their mind as to wether he was offside, it now transpires that 1 hour later when it was realised VAR had used a frame further on and also they had shown the lines placed were likely at an angle they changed their reason to why the goal had been ruled out. 
Since when has somebody getting back onside ( before the ball is kicked ) or running at angle been offside ?

They have been rumbled at last, only this time all football fans have turned against them, other than noticeably Man Utd and Liverpool fans.

'Coincidently' the only 2 clubs in the league who dont have a big screen to replay their corrupt decisions

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

'Coincidently' the only 2 clubs in the league who dont have a big screen to replay their corrupt decisions

Which is of course the reason given by the EPL for not replaying the incidents in stadiums.

Had they have replayed that yesterday with the side on angle there would have been a riot. 

Farke and Hodgson ( as they will be together on Wednesday ) should take the opportunity to condem VAR together and if this means a fine for our managers then that should be crowd funded ( I am sure most fans would see this as a worthy cause ). They should call it as it is blatant rule moving to benefit the larger clubs.

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

Which is of course the reason given by the EPL for not replaying the incidents in stadiums.

Had they have replayed that yesterday with the side on angle there would have been a riot. 

Farke and Hodgson ( as they will be together on Wednesday ) should take the opportunity to condem VAR together and if this means a fine for our managers then that should be crowd funded ( I am sure most fans would see this as a worthy cause ). They should call it as it is blatant rule moving to benefit the larger clubs.

They did very briefly show the freeze frame on the big screen yesterday before hurredly taking it down...

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They did very briefly show the freeze frame on the big screen yesterday before hurredly taking it down...

Yeah as soon as they realised how ****ing stupid and corrupt it made the whole farce look they took it down extremely quickly.

As you can probably tell, still not over this one. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

You missed the fun.

I've caught up on what I missed, and I'm even more glad I missed it... would've got even uglier if I'd been on here 😉

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They did. Not sure if they were allowed to and this was a mistake. But had they shown the Sky side on ie a real time as we saw at 1/2 time in the bars on Sky, we would have realised Pukki was onside and no need to start even drawing lines. But of course VAR now reckon it wasn’t because of this it was because Pukki was offside when the ball was being played previous to the pass.

They have been rumbled. They thought no one would care about Norwich ( or Palace and Brighton come to that ) but we have become the club everyone admires this year and it has backfired.

The newspapers, other message boards and twitter are questioning how or why these 3 decisions were arrived at and finally questioning the validity of VAR. It has been shown to not be accurate something before yesterday people guessed, but now there is proof.

1 hour ago, splendidrush said:

I may have passed this story on before. 

I used to be a London Cab Driver, one day I picked up a guy and we got talking about football and how I was losing 'the love' for the game.

I gave him the example of a game we'd played during our first season back under Lambert and how the game had 'turned' on several decisions by the Referee. 

He explained that he worked for Sky, was involved in specialized filming,  action replays, slow mo's etc and that they were working on 3D for live games.

He continued that the Big Clubs would never be relegated, that it would not be allowed to happen. "Do you know how much it would cost the Premiership to lose one of its biggest earners" "How much would Sky lose in subscriptions around the World if a ManU or Arsenal were to go down"

It was then that I decided that I was not going to pay £50 to see my Team at Stamford Bridge if the result had already been decided. 

Conspiracy theorist? You betcha.....

Reckon it’s been going on even longer than this Splendid . Remember 1985 , when we got relegated when Coventry beat league Champions Everton 4-1 to stay up . Playing matches after we’d finished our season . Can’t believe that situation would have been allowed to happen if one of the big boys had been in danger ! Can you imagine that happening now  ? Before yesterday I’d have said no , with my hangover today I think anything’s possible ! 

Been going on for years - 2007

Sheffield United's bid to regain their Premiership status appears to be over after their bid to see West Ham docked points was dismissed.

An arbitration panel upheld the Premier League's decision not to dock the Hammers points over the signings of Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano.

Sheffield United launched an appeal after they went down on the last day of the season and West Ham stayed up.

West Ham had earlier been fined £5.5m for their handling of the duo's deals.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6252310.stm

So who would they want relegated?

No brainer

Edited by Making Plans

I suspect they realised they had made a mistake and came up with the **** reason of Pukki 'coming back from an offside position', and afterwards realised that wouldn't hold up, so came up with the image that we all see, with the vertical lines manipulated to make it 'appear' that Pukki was offside by his armpit.

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

8E9B79EC-B166-4B92-A5A8-9BE281E2A384.jpeg

The Premier League clearly have a real case to answer here, although I'm not going to be holding my breath.

Will be interesting to see what happens though as yesterday combined several factors:

• Firstly an absolutely brilliant goal was cancelled by a blatently wrong decision.
  • Secondly the technology is inaccurate if the incident is is any distance off the direct line of the camera (despite the **** the PL talk about calibration etc).
  • Thirdly the decisions are not being made honestly, and not by the match referee who has had control of the game totally removed and handed over to someone watching a screen in a darkened room miles away.

This is not the way VAR was supposed to work or that we were told it would work. Can't help wondering whether we, and other clubs because its certainly not just our problem, can take legal action against the PL. Given the huge sums of money involved I'd surprised if some smart **** of a lawyer somewhere couldn't find grounds for substantial damages, and certainly the fans whether at the ground or subscribed via Sky deserve refunds (to be paid for by the PL obviously)

6 minutes ago, Interested Observer said:

I suspect they realised they had made a mistake and came up with the **** reason of Pukki 'coming back from an offside position', and afterwards realised that wouldn't hold up, so came up with the image that we all see, with the vertical lines manipulated to make it 'appear' that Pukki was offside by his armpit.

Purely and simply...for that goal to be ruled out somebody is actively wanting to rule it out and will keep looking and fast forwarding/rewinding/doctoring the lines on these machines until they find a frame to suit their desired outcome.

If the referee who originally allows the goal looks at it again on his pitchside monitor and rules it out ...I could sort of accept that

...but we just dont know the motives or influences these faceless people in these booths 120 miles away are under.

Its open to corruption....I didnt want to believe that but when Man Uniteds first penalty was awarded against us when previously turned down, after Daniel James fell into Ben Godfrey, from that day onwards I'm afraid I have to assume cheating is at play.

• Like 1

Seeing the still pictures makes it even more unbelievable the goal was disallowed. You can watch the video in real time and in slow time over and over and he is still a yard onside as the ball is kicked as clear as anything could be. End of.

Abusive use of technology is ruining the game and robbed us of another brilliant goal....and it was brilliant in every way.