Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

City v Spurs match thread

I suppose at 2-0 we would have been in the driving seat. Game ultimately heavily influenced by that VAR decision.

****ed by VAR again. We haven't had a single decision go our way this season and a whole host of ridiculous ones against. Tyrone Mings double handball not given and then Zimmermann conceding a pen for being shoved hand first into the ball etc etc.

VAR is a ****ing joke.

Actually gutted. The mental impact of being 2-0 up would have been huge. What can you do? Entertaining sure but still rooted to the bottom and will be down. 

For once I have to agree with Mr Moy. Zimmermann made no contact with Kane and Kane turned and fell into Zimbo. But it was always going to be a penalty because they would not have overruled the ref on this occasion. And I agree that TT could have just as easily had a free kick at the other end.

Surely Moura deserved something more than a yellow for what was slyly nudging Max out but in a dangerous area. Maybe they should renew the calls for an orange card which is 10 minutes in a sin bin.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For once I have to agree with Mr Moy. Zimmermann made no contact with Kane and Kane turned and fell into Zimbo. But it was always going to be a penalty because they would not have overruled the ref on this occasion. And I agree that TT could have just as easily had a free kick at the other end.

Surely Moura deserved something more than a yellow for what was slyly nudging Max out but in a dangerous area. Maybe they should renew the calls for an orange card which is 10 minutes in a sin bin.

Exactly, we both saw that so how come VAR did not overrule the ref.   It is a joke !!!

Tend to agree, Zimbo slid across and Kane dived over him holding his ankles as if he’d been taken out. Never a clear penalty.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jools said:

I'd rather a Vrančić start ahead of Stiepermann and have done all season.

Impressive use of accents there.

Steipermann is this seasons Naismith, very slow, doesn’t look that bothered and didn’t move outside his 30 yard circle to chase or close down any players.

We needed Cantwell there today.

22 minutes ago, Indy said:

Tend to agree, Zimbo slid across and Kane dived over him holding his ankles as if he’d been taken out. Never a clear penalty.

VAR was implemented to remove doubt.  It is failing us and favouring the top sides.

• Like 1

.. and from BBC comments :

216. Posted by A_FORCE_ONE

on 11 minutes ago

It's strange that VAR can see that Pukki was offside but cannot see that Kane dived for that penalty. I would like to know who the VAR officials were and what teams they support. Football is dead for me . I support neither teams by the way. I just love the game but my interest is waning very fast.

•  

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I thought there probably was some contact but whether there was a little or none at all it was a clear dive by Kane.

Given that Kane also talked the ref into awarding the free kick for the first goal it seems as though he was running the game rather than the ref.

Fantastic effort/performance by the lads, and would have been a very exciting game had it not been turned into a total farce by VAR and the ref.

I've said it before several times but after watching that I'm going to say it again - the Premier League is utter rubbish and a complete waste of time. Why on earth would we want to stay in it when we've just beaten one of the best teams in the country 3-0 (maybe 3-1 at a stretch) and got one point from it, plus watching one of the goals of the season being ruled out after an incredibly long delay - have they even got their story straight as to why yet??

I guess probably not because there is a clear inherent bias in favour of the big teams - of course that has always been the case with refs  but far from improving the situation, which I (naively) at the start of the season thought it would, VAR has actually made it even worse and totally ruins the spectacle and atmosphere in the process.

In regards to the Kane penalty decision, he uses a bit of skill to cut the ball to the side, and because of Zimm's slide, has the easy option to go over his legs, you can argue that he's totally played for it, and yes, he has, but he's only able to do so because of Zimm's slide, and if you commit like that in the penalty area, you completely open yourself up to a penalty shout.

My main issue with this, however, is that before that could even happen, we should have had a free-kick at the other end for a clear foul on TT, we don't get it, they play the ball forward, and bang, penalty.

The VAR decision is laughably poor, and I don't think there's anyone out there actually saying they agreed with the decision, even Hughton was simply saying that with the VAR system in place, if that system gives a call, then we have to go with it, which was always one of the dangers of VAR in the first place, but the lack of consistency is appalling.

We should have been going in 2-0 up a half-time, and then it's a totally different 2nd half, but instead, we get robbed again and end up with just a draw. Don't get me wrong, many people would have happily accepted a 2-2 draw with Spurs before kick-off, but the manner of the result is leaving a bitter taste in the mouth, and clearly not just for us City fans, but fans everywhere are in complete disbelief at the latest VAR shambles.

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I've said it before several times but after watching that I'm going to say it again - the Premier League is utter rubbish and a complete waste of time. Why on earth would we want to stay in it when we've just beaten one of the best teams in the country 3-0 (maybe 3-1 at a stretch) and got one point from it, plus watching one of the goals of the season being ruled out after an incredibly long delay - have they even got their story straight as to why yet??

Been saying it for months now. The Prem is ****. Roll on the Championship next year - Far more enjoyable.

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

My main issue with this, however, is that before that could even happen, we should have had a free-kick at the other end for a clear foul on TT, we don't get it, they play the ball forward, and bang, penalty.

That's about the 3rd one in the last month where we've not had a decision and theyve gone up the other end and scored. Think Sheff United was one and then there was the ludicrous throw in to Villa on Boxing day when their player had dribbled it out with no City shirt for 8 yards in any direction

8 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

In regards to the Kane penalty decision, he uses a bit of skill to cut the ball to the side (yes he did), and because of Zimm's slide, has the easy option to go over his legs (also true), you can argue that he's totally played for it, and yes, he has - and that is simulation, therefore a yellow card for Kane and no penalty.

My main issue with this, however, is that before that could even happen, we should have had a free-kick at the other end for a clear foul on TT, we don't get it, they play the ball forward, and bang, penalty - yep, there's that as well.

The VAR decision is laughably poor, and I don't think there's anyone out there actually saying they agreed with the decision, even Hughton was simply saying that with the VAR system in place, if that system gives a call, then we have to go with it, which was always one of the dangers of VAR in the first place, but the lack of consistency is appalling. Exactly, today wasn't a one off, we're seeing ridiculous wrong decisions all over the league practically every week and what on earth happened to the idea that VAR was going to just correct clear and obvious mistakes??? Many of these are apparently not 'relevant' or 'appropriate' for VAR whilst it happily steps in to screw up decisions where there is no clear and obvious mistake, or indeed any mistake at all!!! It is a total and disgraceful shambles.

We should have been going in 2-0 up a half-time, and then it's a totally different 2nd half, but instead, we get robbed again and end up with just a draw. Don't get me wrong, many people would have happily accepted a 2-2 draw with Spurs before kick-off, but the manner of the result is leaving a bitter taste in the mouth, and clearly not just for us City fans, but fans everywhere are in complete disbelief at the latest VAR shambles.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Steipermann is this seasons Naismith, very slow, doesn’t look that bothered and didn’t move outside his 30 yard circle to chase or close down any players.

We needed Cantwell there today.

That’s very harsh. He looks short of confidence but he looked to me like he put himself about well today, some good build up play and nearly scored. Deservedly substituted but I didn’t think he looked unbothered.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That’s very harsh. He looks short of confidence but he looked to me like he put himself about well today, some good build up play and nearly scored. Deservedly substituted but I didn’t think he looked unbothered.

After that, I think there’s a clear case for Vrancic to start, but not Stiepi sadly.

I checked the scores on my phone whilst watching our game (Leics), and you guys were winning.   checked a bit later, about 3/4 into the game and still leading, at that point I thought you would win.

After FT, I checked again and you couldn't hold out, and was also due to a penalty 😞

Feel for you guys as after the game at the King Power I know your team is capable, you not out of it yet though, keep your chins up, and fight till the end.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

After that, I think there’s a clear case for Vrancic to start, but not Stiepi sadly.

I don’t disagree but I also don’t think Stiepermann looked like he was poor or unbothered.

1 minute ago, foxchrys said:

I checked the scores on my phone whilst watching our game (Leics), and you guys were winning.   checked a bit later, about 3/4 into the game and still leading, at that point I thought you would win.

After FT, I checked again and you couldn't hold out, and was also due to a penalty 😞

Feel for you guys as after the game at the King Power I know your team is capable, you not out of it yet though, keep your chins up, and fight till the end.

Cheers 👍 Got to say though that the championship without this var **** is starting to look like an attractive proposition right now. This just isn’t football 

1 hour ago, foxchrys said:

Very kind comments. Many thanks. Be interested to hear your views on our disallowed goal!!

5 hours ago, paul moy said:

It's strange that VAR can see that Pukki was offside but cannot see that Kane dived for that penalty. I would like to know who the VAR officials were and what teams they support. Football is dead for me . I support neither teams by the way. I just love the game but my interest is waning very fast.

According to the EPL website the two VAR officials were Dave Peacock and Stevland Morris.

13 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Very kind comments. Many thanks. Be interested to hear your views on our disallowed goal!!

At the time I had no view as didn't see it.

Now I have.

That is I have to say a very harsh decision, and probably a result changer, as it was the difference between having a one goal or two goal cushion.

I think the rule needs to change where they only check feet and ignore upper body position. Offside was designed to stop goal hanging, not to rule a few cm of upper body as offside.

Sadly for the penalty I think it was one, your defender seemed to have a rush of blood to the head. 😞

Had a 2nd look, its even worse, Pukki feet was behind the defender, he got ruled offside simply because he was leaning forward more.  Ridiculous.

Edited by foxchrys