Monty13

Team for Spurs

Like the title, what do people think, any changes?

I imagine there are some tired legs but I don’t see any of our bench deserving of the nod otherwise.

The back 5 basically pick themselves as does Pukki leaving the 5 in midfield. Both CM left early last match so suspect Tettey and Tybul will start again, they seem our best pairing. Emi is by far our biggest threat in terms of creativity so also expect him to start.

Just leaves McLean and Cantwell. I’d want to see McLean rested but Stiepermann looks devoid of confidence and a shadow of last years player. Vrancic is a possibility I suppose. Cantwell deserves his spot for me but if tired Onel is the obvious replacement. Or bring Cantwell central and sacrifice McLean but then you lose the height both Stiepermann and him offer in this role.

Ultimately I personally suspect the team that started the last match will start and I struggle to disagree based on the first half performance.

I'm not expecting any change to the starting line-up or the bench. However the change I would like to see is Hernandez for Cantwell.

Cantwell is always the fall guy. His record would suggest if fit he's a starter...

McClean, Cantwell and Buendia look the most fluid three to me and they change places a lot during games. We've created a lot of chances with those three too. It's not their fault the chances have been missed. If Pukki had taken just a couple things would have looked very different.

If Vrancic starts maybe beside Tetty or Trybull? But we've been tighter with those two together. However without Vrancic free kicks around the box carry little threat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Cantwell is always the fall guy. His record would suggest if fit he's a starter...

McClean, Cantwell and Buendia look the most fluid three to me and they change places a lot during games. We've created a lot of chances with those three too. It's not their fault the chances have been missed. If Pukki had taken just a couple things would have looked very different.

If Vrancic starts maybe beside Tetty or Trybull? But we've been tighter with those two together. However without Vrancic free kicks around the box carry little threat.

I agree Nutty, i think they are the best three on evidence. I don’t think it’s so much Cantwell is a fall guy it’s just if you are going to accommodate Hernandez it usually means dropping Buendia or Cantwell and Buendia creates more.

I agree on free kicks, definitely the area we most miss Vrancic, Buendias delivery has got much better, McLean offers a solid delivery if nothing goal threatening and Cantwell has thankfully been removed from duties as it wasn’t his strength.

I’m just unconvinced in open play that Vrancic is the better option than Trybull who has been more than neat and tidy while offering good screening that I don’t think Vrancic can. I don’t think we can afford to drop that defensive screening for Vrancic’s creativity, certainly not without reigning in our full backs a bit. If we weren’t creating enough I could see a reason to.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

Trybull looks a bit 'leggy' to me recently. I'd bring Vrancic in for Trybull, but otherwise unchanged. That will give us a little more creativity, but I think Vrancic would be so desperate to impress he'd be putting himself around a lot too. He's not a 'breaker-upper', admittedly, but I think it's worth that gamble. Trybull is a good player to bring on if we've got something to defend, and we've got to go into the match believing we can win it. If it doesn't work out then so be it, but let's really get at them and create as many chances as we can.

Only other possibility would be Hernandez for Cantwell, just for freshness purposes - not because Cantwell's the 'fall guy', but because Hernandez also plays most naturally on the left of the three, and I think Kenny has been vital at giving us a physical/aerial presence in recent games. And Emi is utterly undroppable at the moment.

With two games in 48 hours, and three games in six days, the logical thing is surely to give some players breathers as no human being can play at peak performance three times in such a short period in modern football as the intensity is so high nowadays. I'm sure most sides will rotate the players in this period to keep them fresh and make sure those on the pitch are as close to 100% as possible, but Farke is so loyal to his starters than he's probably going to make fewer changes than most (and that's intended to be an observation rather than a criticism).

Lewis, Hernandez, Amadou and Vrancic would be the obvious candidates to come into the side, but it's hard to say who they should replace as we haven't seen the players today. It should be up to Farke and the medical team to assess which players are a bit jaded and go from there.

Krul

central 3 zimm Hanley amadou

Aaron's Hernandez

Buendia vrancic Cantrell

srbeny

Pukki

I think Todd will be given a rest simply because he is the player who works hardest and covers most ground and will feel 2 games in 3 days more than anyone. We shall see if Onel works both ways, or whether he leaves us open down that flank.

Let's hope that they put up a good performance. 

It's not that they're not playing well, but playing well in this league is a different proposition to the Championship. 

And Lady Luck hasn't been with us. 

Cantwell has had a fantastatic season but in my view we have to give Hernandez a go now. We are probably guilty of overplaying it around the opposition penalty area, Argos doesn't naturally do that. There are no free hits left now and 4 points out of Spurs and Palace is a must to either close or maintain the gap.

I also think our midfield is leggy, I said that before the Villa game. 2 games in 5 days will be a challenge so wouldn't be surprised to see Amadou or Vrancic in. We'll have the physicality of Palace to deal with on NYD as well.

I would give Aarons a rest for part of the game and switch Byram to right back and recall Lewis. Probably also take a chance on Amadou for Trybull who seems to have been quiet to me over recent games. Onel to come on after 60 mins.

I didn't see the Villa game so wouldn't pick a side based on that.

I would like to see, just based on my favourites and who is fit:

Krul

Byram Zimmermann Hanley

Aarons Tettey Vrancic Lewis

Cantwell Buendia

Pukki

That may be seen as defensive but it doesn't stop our preference for pass and move.

If they are all fit enough to go again then the same starting 11 for me. We’ve looked solid and played well lately. Today we must take the chances if and when they come

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I didn't see the Villa game so wouldn't pick a side based on that.

I would like to see, just based on my favourites and who is fit:

Krul

Byram Zimmermann Hanley

Aarons Tettey Vrancic Lewis

Cantwell Buendia

Pukki

That may be seen as defensive but it doesn't stop our preference for pass and move.

Even if not including the Villa game where he was excellent you would drop McClean ? Just goes to show a fall guy is created and from there on in never loses the tag. Even Krul still has his critics.

Trybull’s not been too great recently, so maybe Amadou to replace him, or possibly a 4-1-4-1 type formation that Farke has already done this season with Cantwell on the left, McLean and Vrancic in the middle and Buendia on the right. 
In defence i assume it will be the same as last week, but maybe Byram and Lewis or Aarons and Lewis.

Spurs will will win 4-1 easy game, City will huff and puff and Farke will say the same old sh!ite at the end. Bottom of the league and going down. Disgusting - the board need to get their heads out of their fat ar5es and sort this out.

Happer clappers need not reply unless you a total tw  at, which will become clear in due course.

Edited by Carra Rud
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carra Rud said:

Spurs will will win 4-1 easy game, City will huff and puff and Farke will say the same old sh!ite at the end. Bottom of the league and going down. Disgusting - the board need to get their heads out of their fat ar5es and sort this out.

Happer clappers need not reply unless you a total **, which will become clear in due course.

Did Father Christmas empty his sack in your mums room and not yours? 

Edited by JF
  • Haha 1

I’d like for us to rest Pukki and use him as an impact player off the bench, ideally before the 85th minute. Start with Idah and get crosses into him. I’d love to see a Roberts / Hernandez width combo. No chance of that though.

36 minutes ago, Carra Rud said:

Happer clappers need not reply unless you a total tw  at, which will become clear in due course.

Pipe down, Dusty. 

Even if not including the Villa game where he was excellent you would drop McClean ? Just goes to show a fall guy is created and from there on in never loses the tag. Even Krul still has his critics.

Perhaps if you had read the post correctly you would have seen that I put "just based on my favourites". As much as I like his attitude, I don't think he is as good as the others. I have no agenda against anyone apart from probably James Corden.

4 changes. Not surprised as the schedule at this time of year requires rotation. Shame though as performances have been great recently, just haven’t taken those chances

byram, Cantwell, McClean, Trybull out for Hernandez Vrancic Stiepermann Lewis 

Edited by JF

Eriksen’s first start for Spurs for almost two months...........you kind of know what’s going to happen....

1 hour ago, JF said:

Did Farther Christmas empty his sack in your mums room and not yours? 

Learn to spell and use the English language properly and you might get taken seriously JF.

1 minute ago, Carra Rud said:

Learn to spell and use the English language properly and you might get taken seriously JF.

That’s a yes then. Oh well, at least your mum got  some...

53 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Perhaps if you had read the post correctly you would have seen that I put "just based on my favourites". As much as I like his attitude, I don't think he is as good as the others. I have no agenda against anyone apart from probably James Corden.

You are clearly a man of wisdom. What the **** people see in the gurning fool utterly escapes me.