Sign in to follow this  
Surfer

VAR _ Man City

So, another saved penalty re-taken because of encroachment. Good to see that at least they are being consistent. 

Funny that, I bet if that had been the other way round it wouldn’t have been given as a retake.

It’s interesting video assistance has been an excepted mainstay in cricket and rugby union for years! Does anyone know when it was introduced to these sports and what the fan reaction was?

As for the encroachment today, like Max Aarons against Arsenal, the Wolves defender was a foot a best into the area when the penalty was taken, but ultimately he cleared the rebound!

Interestingly there was a Man City player encroaching a yard and a half, if he’d have scored the rebound, would it of been retaken still????

3 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

Interestingly there was a Man City player encroaching a yard and a half, if he’d have scored the rebound, would it of been retaken still????

No.

I think that's easier said than done. If you don't go when the opposition go they will get to any loose ball first. It's a split second reaction.

Maybe a way to deal with this encroachment issue is to make the penalty a dead kick, like in ice hockey, if the player misses or it’s saved it’s a keepers goal kick, no rebounds.

Does away with this ****e encroachment, as said how far inside was the Man City player?

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Maybe a way to deal with this encroachment issue is to make the penalty a dead kick, like in ice hockey, if the player misses or it’s saved it’s a keepers goal kick, no rebounds.

Does away with this ****e encroachment, as said how far inside was the Man City player?

Yes! This is the perfect solution 👍

Guess it would be too much for the premier league to adopt such a sensible approach 😜

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

That's an interesting idea. It works that way in a pk shootout. I don't normally like the rules getting messed with but that would make the issue clear.

18 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Rules are rules. Even rules that people consider to be stupid still are rules. I blame the player entirely, don't encroach.

Interestingly as discussed after the Arsenal game this is not the FA rule it is an interpretation made by the epl for VAR. There was a Man City player encroaching therefore as was discussed in our thread it should have been an indirect free kick to Wolves. So rules aren’t rules when it comes to VAR but interpretation is, ie a completely undeliberate handball disallows a goal but doesn’t get you a penalty.

27 minutes ago, Indy said:

Should've been done years ago.

31 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Interestingly as discussed after the Arsenal game this is not the FA rule it is an interpretation made by the epl for VAR. There was a Man City player encroaching therefore as was discussed in our thread it should have been an indirect free kick to Wolves. So rules aren’t rules when it comes to VAR but interpretation is, ie a completely undeliberate handball disallows a goal but doesn’t get you a penalty.

Fair enough, however, everyone now knows what the interpretation is. If you encroach, you run a high risk of undoing the good work your keeper (or goal posts) do. The message is still the same, don't encroach and if you do, you are to blame.

• Like 2

.. and what about the foul for the barge in the back of the defender which was ignored and allowed the second goal for Wolves ?   A shoulder charge is allowed but that was clearly not.

7 minutes ago, paul moy said:

.. and what about the foul for the barge in the back of the defender which was ignored and allowed the second goal for Wolves ?   A shoulder charge is allowed but that was clearly not.

Just desert for the penalty, karma.......funny thing isn’t it.

3 hours ago, Cliff the Canary said:

No. It wouldn't been an indirect free kick if I'm not mistaken, but the rules aren't even 100% clear on that.

3 hours ago, Indy said:

I said the exact same thing to my dad earlier because it would certainly simplify the issue. I first heard this idea floated a few years and wasn't a fan, but with VAR around now it would clear the encroachment rule up. With VAR it's a mess, and without VAR everyone has encroached for years.

The alternative would be that if players start to see that if they encroach and then proceed to touch the ball in the event of a missed penalty penalises their team they might stop doing it, but I can't see that happening any time soon.

We just have to remember there are different rules for different teams. They have not been published but exist.

15 hours ago, Indy said:

Agreed. It also makes it more equal between keeper and striker - I always think it’s unfair when the keeper saves it only for the striker who has just missed a penalty to get a simple tap in. 

16 hours ago, Cliff the Canary said:

It’s interesting video assistance has been an excepted mainstay in cricket and rugby union for years! Does anyone know when it was introduced to these sports and what the fan reaction was?

As for the encroachment today, like Max Aarons against Arsenal, the Wolves defender was a foot a best into the area when the penalty was taken, but ultimately he cleared the rebound!

Yes!

It's already happened this season. None other than James Maddison. See 2.24 on this.