Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

9 wins?

Okay....so this post might be unrealistic, let me start by stating this.

Yet, 7 home wins (none against the top 6) and two away wins (none against the top 6) would give us a fighting chance of staying up. 9 wins from 19 matches. Burnley did it from 12 points after 19 games in 2018 (finishing 15th on 40 points).

Trying to find a small strand of hope amidst the obituaries being written (which are naturally not unreasonable and quite understandable).

For a moment I thought this was Lakey, until I saw how short it was! FWIW I agree that, while unlikely, it's certainly not impossible. 

If we can somehow muster  2 wins against Spurs and Palace then we are right back in it with a fight.

A long way to go yet! Still confident the lads can pull this off. A couple of decent signings would help. A big powerful number 10 to start with

Just now, Yellow Green Army said:

If we can somehow muster  2 wins against Spurs and Palace then we are right back in it with a fight.

A long way to go yet! Still confident the lads can pull this off. A couple of decent signings would help. A big powerful number 10 to start with

I think we should give Dean Ashton a call and see if he fancies having half a season to try and save us, just like 14 years ago.

He's put on few extra pounds but probably still weighs less than Drmic, plus he actually fits our transfer budget.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Kenny is doing pretty well at number 10 I think, he's deceptively good in the air. Stiepermann as backup isn't great, but I think we might consider Drmic playing just behind Pukki when he's fit again.

It's not impossible, but we are running extremely short of rope. We need a minimum of four points from the next two games to have any chance at all.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not impossible but one unfit striker isn't going to be enough. A lot of change will need to happen.

Agree with that. We really need Another Pukki style striker (only more physical) & I wouldn't mind Rhodes as back up as well.

Can't see it happening though. Just possible Webber might find some unknown furriner type player we could get in on loan (& who's up for the fight).

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Okay....so this post might be unrealistic, let me start by stating this.

Yet, 7 home wins (none against the top 6) and two away wins (none against the top 6) would give us a fighting chance of staying up. 9 wins from 19 matches. Burnley did it from 12 points after 19 games in 2018 (finishing 15th on 40 points).

Trying to find a small strand of hope amidst the obituaries being written (which are naturally not unreasonable and quite understandable).

I’d love this to happen but it would be a miracle if it did.

I think the main reason obituaries are being written are not because we are an awful side.

Its because we’ve just outplayed Wolves, Leicester and Villa and walked away with 1 point.

Whether we are unlucky, or not strong enough mentally or in the squad quality, the fact is that even outplaying teams we are walking away with nothing, not even a point more often than not.

Thats some position to turnaround into winning every home game and a couple on the road.

Maybe something will just click and we will start burying chances, maybe we will bring in a player or two that really shakes things up, maybe. 

I’ll watch every game this season and enjoy it whether relegated or not, but I just don’t see signs to be optimistic enough for us to escape our likely fate.

• Like 2

Not a cat in hells chance folks. We are looking at top 6-8 form now . This is a team who have shipped maximum points against all other promotion sides , the (then) bottom side , West Ham and Brighton. 

A nearly 50% win rate just isn’t going to happen. 

Fuggin 9 WINS?.......WAHOOSH! I've just seen a squadron of pigs fly past my gaff.......and they did it with sty.....le...... 

Aye. It's massively unlikely that we will stay up from here, but not impossible. We keep seeing green shoots without really gaining any traction. Pukki is certainly doing his bit but there have been too few goals from elsewhere. It's hard to see that changing enough in the second half of the season. We keep plugging away until it is mathematically impossible, though. 

So folk don't think we can get 9 wins. I think it's a tall order but think we can get 7. We'd still need a few draws and may still fall short. How many wins do others forecast?

From here on it’s best to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It’s highly unlikely we will get another nine wins but certainly not impossible. A win against Spurs wouldn’t go against the grain of our season, the problem so far has been building on the positive results when they happen. We’ve actually played superbly for the last 3 matches and could easily have taken 9 points from them with better finishing 

Edited by JF

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

So folk don't think we can get 9 wins. I think it's a tall order but think we can get 7. We'd still need a few draws and may still fall short. How many wins do others forecast?

Seven. Seven wins and the odd draw here and there would see us get to 35-37 points and leave us on the borderline. Nine wins would see us survive quite comfortably, as I very much doubt we'd then lose the other ten without drawing any.

Seven wins are unlikely but at least a realistic target. Nine wins are impossible and also probably more than we need.

Our home form will be crucial if we have any chance of staying up. Palace, Bournemouth, Southampton, Everton, Brighton, West Ham and Burnley are the games where we need to be picking up points.

Whilst our home form is poor, the flicker of hope is that we have been competitive and unlucky not to pick up more points in recent games. A bit more luck/confidence in the second half of the season would help.

Anything is possible. To do it though, the players  need to keep the level of performance up and believe they can win every game.  It must be hard to take that they have not picked up more points, as they have recently shown they are in many ways good enough and now just need to start converting chances to go along with their good play. 

Fans are understandably sceptical about our chances, but the season is not over and just one win will get us believing again.  

Edited by lake district canary

What a massive few days. I feel we could get a result against Spurs. And if we could beat Palace in the week too then I think everything would look far more different - we’d be looking at probably another 5 wins by May and a few draws which I believe is more than achievable if we can get that run of the green starting this weekend.