Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

One of the most profoundly depressing/frustrating seasons ever

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Too many fans have a different opinion than me too...

How dare they!

I've got a different opinion to the one I had before the last game..... I seriously need to give myself a good talking to.

The most frustrating thing for me this season is how we're going down without a fight. We have no backbone and we fold at the slightest hint of pressure. No mental fortitude whatsoever. 

Farke is far too reactive rather than proactive and hasn't really learned much or evolved his coaching methods since the first day he joined. I mean look at the recent decision to make triple subs in the last couple of games, the tide had turned against Wolves so why not preempt them scoring and make changes? No, just make a triple substitution after the damage has been done.

Plenty of last season's important players are simply not good enough for this league or are too inconsistent. Steipermann probably the most glaringly obvious of these, he's dreadful at this level and is currently bereft of confidence yet Farke insists on bringing him on. 

We're in the Premier league. We should be planning on staying in it, not planning for a promotion push to get back in it next season. That is such a high risk and makes the least sense. 

The issues do run deep, we can't ever seem to shake our inferiority complex no matter who the manager is or how many players we change. This has been prevalent at the club for the majority of my life. 

That being said, I've been a Norwich supporter for long enough to know exactly what we are and I'm at peace with that now. I'll still go to plenty of games both home and away, I'll get frustrated, I'll voice my opinions to friends, colleagues and on here. I'd like us to be better and win everything but we simply aren't run that way. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Farke is far too reactive rather than proactive and hasn't really learned much or evolved his coaching methods since the first day he joined. I mean look at the recent decision to make triple subs in the last couple of games, the tide had turned against Wolves so why not preempt them scoring and make changes? No, just make a triple substitution after the damage has been done.

Farke is a very conservative manager as witnessed last season when he was reluctant to rest or rotate players if things were going well and it's the same with his substitutions - he rarely makes changes unless forced by injury or we're chasing the game and there's nothing left to lose.

It's probably also true that he doesn't have a lot of faith in his bench to change the game (Hernandez the exception IMO) and if he felt he had a bit more quality there he might be more inclined to make proactive changes sooner.

On 27/12/2019 at 12:31, kick it off said:

Pukki I think will stay. He's a hero of the Finnish team, so no danger of losing his international place and I get the impression he likes it in the fine city. He's a hero here too.

No chance whatsoever of him staying to do another year in the Championship. He did 8 consecutive years of European football before moving to us in the Championship.... he'll want more of that, or one last bumper contract somewhere before retirement. 

No evidence at all that he has any sort of big affinity with this club or city, and he hasn't shown loyalty before (left his last cloub on a Bosman!) Huckerby's are very rare cases! 

Will be a case of 'thanks for the memories' in the summer I'm afraid. 

Cannot see any January signings apart from loans.

If we beat Spurs today then no-one will be bought and if we lose to Spurs then there definitely won't be any signings.

I don't know why things went the way they did in the Summer. Who defined it? The Board? Webber? DF?. If it was the Board then the other two are off the hook. If it was the other two, and I suspect not, then I would understand even less.

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

Sorry but I couldn't disagree more with this. Scoring and assisting goals at this level is one of the hardest things to do and Cantwell has done both in his first season at this level. Theres a reason hes hyped up now outside of Norfolk by the likes of MOTD.

To say hes largely ineffective is only fair if you credit Hernandez with exactly the same. He has often been ineffective and on top of that lacks the quality to deliver assists and lacks the finishing to deliver the goals that Cantwell has.

What I do agree with you on is obviously Hernandez offers raw pace and strength which CAN be effective and perhaps he should be on earlier in games we are chasing.

I didnt like Farkes three subs against Villa but equally can understand why he hadnt changed anything before their goal - we were playing well, defending well and creating chances.

Sorry, but using MOTD for supporting evidence is not credible. We all know how little they pay attention to the 'smaller' sides in the EPL. Shearer and co only watch the highlights presented to them and make judgement based on that. 

We looked good today - and I feel some what vindicated in my support to start with Vrancic and Hernandez over Cantwell and Trybull. 

First half we looked superb tonight... the frustration continues, but hats off - its a very good result. 

Just now, Il Pirata said:

Sorry, but using MOTD for supporting evidence is not credible. We all know how little they pay attention to the 'smaller' sides in the EPL. Shearer and co only watch the highlights presented to them and make judgement based on that. 

We looked good today - and I feel some what vindicated in my support to start with Vrancic and Hernandez over Cantwell and Trybull. 

First half we looked superb tonight... the frustration continues, but hats off - its a very good result. 

Agree with Vrancic but I was championing him when people slated him when he first joined, so you'll always have my support for that.

But for me Hernandez was again looking unlikely to ever score or assist. Cantwell again, has 5 premier league goals to his name, and links up much better with pukki (hence his assists, too).

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Agree with Vrancic but I was championing him when people slated him when he first joined, so you'll always have my support for that.

But for me Hernandez was again looking unlikely to ever score or assist. Cantwell again, has 5 premier league goals to his name, and links up much better with pukki (hence his assists, too).

But he caused panic in possession. I agree sometimes he looks indecisive, but whenever in possession he worries defenders. Whereas Cantwell is 'easier' to defend and play against, IMO. 

Just now, Il Pirata said:

But he caused panic in possession. I agree sometimes he looks indecisive, but whenever in possession he worries defenders. Whereas Cantwell is 'easier' to defend and play against, IMO. 

I'm not sure the teams Cantwell has scored and assisted against would agree.

I do agree as a team we lack pace and that on it's own could cause panic. But at the end of the season I can guarantee the player we'll be worried about losing to a Prem club will be Cantwell over Hernandez.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure the teams Cantwell has scored and assisted against would agree.

I do agree as a team we lack pace and that on it's own could cause panic. But at the end of the season I can guarantee the player we'll be worried about losing to a Prem club will be Cantwell over Hernandez.

Hand on heart, I'd sell Cantwell over Hernandez in a heartbeat. 

4 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

Hand on heart, I'd sell Cantwell over Hernandez in a heartbeat. 

Football is all about opinions. 

But you're more likely to get your wish as I suspect there will be far, far more interest in Todd than there ever will be Onel!

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Football is all about opinions. 

But you're more likely to get your wish as I suspect there will be far, far more interest in Todd than there ever will be Onel!

Agreed. 

But check the stats, our results are better when Hernandez plays.