Sign in to follow this  
Mr Angry

One or two players short-will DF be given money to spend in January?

The way I see it, we could have won 5 out of our 6 games in December-Southampton was the only match where we didn’t ‘deserve’ anything out of the game. With one or two improvements on quality I think we could have turned 2 points from 18 into perhaps 10, which would have seen us out of the bottom 3.

If we continue to create chances and can add 1 or 2 Premiership quality players I think we can still have a good go at avoiding relegation. I’m thinking of experienced players who aren’t playing much for their current clubs, who either wouldn’t have any resale value or might possibly come in on loan. We don’t need to break the bank to do this.

But if DF is not given any money to improve first XI, or has to sell any of the current first team, that will tell me that the board have given up on this season.

A couple of loans in maybe, and perhaps a possible departure in January to fund those loans.....?

Isn't that how a self-funding club functions?......

let's face facts, we are miles off defensively. Tettey/Trybull just isn't good enough at this level and we haven't really improved with Zimbo back. I honestly think we are weaker than last season at the moment and have alienated some talented players like Leitner in the process. Aarons in a team fighting for survival is too naive and attacking but he will be better for this season, sadly he will probably move on to a mid table prem side next season where no doubt he will thrive.

Would have been interesting to see if Klose being there would have made us a bit more composed at the back. The lad seems cursed to ever play at prem level but easily is our most natural prem standard centre back.

Godfrey is suffering a similar fate to Aarons. I think he has struggled this year as well though he has had to basically do it all on his own this year so cant be too harsh.

I look a few places above us and see some very boring but compact teams like Burnley and Brighton that are just far better organised than us and not actually that terrible going forward as they are made out to be.

It's galling to yet again see a talented Norwich side that is so near yet so far. Last time we were Sebastien Haller away from being good enough, the time before it was Wilfried Bony.

The next few months is important to somehow get some momentum back and shake off this damaging losing mentality off. We cant just be constantly unlucky, there must be something ugly riding underneath all this bad luck.

I just hope it doesn't turn ugly under Farke like it did with Alex Neil as I think getting back to the amazing football from last season isn't beyond us.

1 hour ago, Hucks6 said:

Who wants to come to a team who’s going to be relegated 

Someone who isn’t playing much at his current club?

54 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

A couple of loans in maybe, and perhaps a possible departure in January to fund those loans.....?

Isn't that how a self-funding club functions?......

Surely we have enough in the bank to get a player or two in without selling?

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Surely we have enough in the bank to get a player or two in without selling?

ARE YOU BOB CRATCHETT!.......There is no munny!......Bah Humbug.....

We're one or two players short in the starting XI and we need quality on the bench too, game changers we don't have that. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we've used our loan allocation for the season unless we send back either Roberts or Fahrmann? Roberts, Drmic and to some extend Amadou have been a waste of money. The summer transfer window didn't work for Webber. Cheap options falling well short for the Premier League.

A huge investment required in January, and that isn't going to happen.

Need to start building for a promotion challenge next season, not throwing money at the impossible this season.

We'll see a few players submit transfer requests in the summer, we need to invest to come back up... forget about survival this year, its done.

I do hope Delia is looking at her bank account and is going to show us just how much she loves her club. 

A first team investment in January will be expensive and too late imo. I hope we avoid the loan market, as loans are not really to our benefit (unless we get an option to buy). If we're likely to get relegated, we might as well play our own youngsters instead of another clubs. 

On loans we can return... Fahrmann and Roberts have been largely a waste of money. Fahrmann has been unlucky due to the performances of Krul, but I think a necessary signing and one I stand by. Roberts on the other hand, has been money pissed up the wall. He is clearly not the caliber of player that Farke wanted from our recruitment team, and it probably suits all parties if he returns to his parent club. One can only hope he came cheap. 

Amadou is almost certainly not going to sign on a permanent and hence is questionable whether we should persevere giving him game time if he is leaving in the summer. 

I am not particularly inclined to write Drmic off yet. He hasn't had a fair crack and I suspect we will see his value next year. 

Long story short, the club should keep their eye out for some ones for the future. We missed our chance to build a Premier League squad in the summer.

If we're so strapped for cash, we may as well stop paying other clubs wages, give Roberts a break and let him return to his parent club

Edited by HertsCanary93

We need a replacement for Tettey for next season for sure. And a bully / target man to give us a physical presence option up top. I suspect we'll be going with Hanley and Zimmerman as our CB pair next year as Godfrey will be snapped up by a big team. So if we can find those people in January no point in not getting them in now, but I doubt those players are interested in us until they know where their own clubs will be next year either. So loans it is for me... assuming we can offload a couple we already have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surfer said:

We need a replacement for Tettey for next season for sure. And a bully / target man to give us a physical presence option up top. I suspect we'll be going with Hanley and Zimmerman as our CB pair next year as Godfrey will be snapped up by a big team. So if we can find those people in January no point in not getting them in now, but I doubt those players are interested in us until they know where their own clubs will be next year either. So loans it is for me... assuming we can offload a couple we already have. 

On his current form, I'd like to see Tettey playing for us next season whatever division we're in. A couple of years ago we were told he couldn't play two games in quick succession because his knees were shot, but he's playing as well as ever. Definitely need to be succession planning in that position, though.

• Like 1

One or two players isn't going to make a difference. The whole squad and playing style isn't built for surviving in this league, we're good at things that don't make a difference at this level and awfully weak at things that are crucial.  

For all the money and exotic names in this league the playing style and squad composition in this league is incredibly cynical and rudimentary. Every team relies primarily on pace, height, power, set pieces, counter attacking and defending deep in numbers. Villa at times today for example had 10 men behind the ball for huge patches of the game at home, against a smaller club with a team assembled on a shoestring. 10 years ago that would have been seen as farcical, but it's the norm nowadays. Every bottom 14 club apart from ours in this league is run and managed ruthlessly for a singular purpose of results and survival at this level, we're being managed differently, less ideally for this particular challenge and on a very challenging budget. 

Adding a few players in January won't make the slightest bit of difference come the end of the season so I'd rather we kept our powder dry, saved the cash and build a more solid base this summer going into next seasons Championship campaign. This season is a write off, there's enjoyment to be had watching our underdog team competing against massive odds every game, but we're going down regardless. I really hope we don't panic buy. 

👍 Cue the doom mongers CS, but you are right. We also came up ahead of schedule, we are not streetwise as a team and it's been our downfall. But we do have quality which shines through the PL dross most matches if only very briefly in some. If only we could play the top 6 every week ....

I'm a happy clapper. I'm content with our owners and our place in the footballing hierarchy at this moment in time, but i also live in the real world. We're almost certain to get relegated, we can't keep the ball out of our net, we have to work too hard to score at this level, we're weak on set pieces and most of our best talent is very young and very raw. I still support the team/club regardless. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say there's a problem, but there also isn't a quick or simple solution to it. We are where we are at the moment. I hate losing as well, but Pep Guardiola with a 100m budget couldn't save us this season. We're not dropping down to L1 or going to have to endure a fire sale, next season should be very interesting given the budget we'll have. 

And who knows what will happen in the future. The bottom half of the PL went from very strong to very, very weak between our promotion in 2004 and 2010. We could get promoted again in a few years, adopt the same strategy but find ourselves competing with less intense competition next time round. This is the strongest PL I have ever seen, we've been quite unlucky to be a promoted club this year but circumstance could change in the future. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Someone who isn’t playing much at his current club?

Unfortunately “agents” and “money” talks in the premiership! There are many players “not playing at their current clubs”, but who are picking up fat cat wages!

It is the nature of the product sky tv has produced, and we are not in a position to “compete’” at the levels required.

Don't think buying in January is going to change anything much, any new player will need to be assimilated first for at least a few weeks. Best strategy would be to get players that are going to contribute longer term, maybe next season or beyond.  This season is a learning process for many of our players - and they are improving, so best not get hopes up for new players in January regarding this season - the most we can expect is someone who might come in and offer cover for the cb position. 

Still a long way to go and any strengthening of the squad would be good, but we will have imo to realise the team isn't going to get a huge boost this january in terms of anyone who is likely to make much difference straight away.

Edited by lake district canary

7 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'm a happy clapper. I'm content with our owners and our place in the footballing hierarchy at this moment in time, but i also live in the real world. We're almost certain to get relegated, we can't keep the ball out of our net, we have to work too hard to score at this level, we're weak on set pieces and most of our best talent is very young and very raw. I still support the team/club regardless. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say there's a problem, but there also isn't a quick or simple solution to it. We are where we are at the moment. I hate losing as well, but Pep Guardiola with a 100m budget couldn't save us this season. We're not dropping down to L1 or going to have to endure a fire sale, next season should be very interesting given the budget we'll have. 

And who knows what will happen in the future. The bottom half of the PL went from very strong to very, very weak between our promotion in 2004 and 2010. We could get promoted again in a few years, adopt the same strategy but find ourselves competing with less intense competition next time round. This is the strongest PL I have ever seen, we've been quite unlucky to be a promoted club this year but circumstance could change in the future. 

Good post, spot on.

I think Webber said a good few weeks ago now that we will be looking to make a couple of signing but theyll be signings who would benefit us next season too, irrespective of what division we are in. Therefore, I suspect it'll be 'gamble' players that can hopefully make the step up.