Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Canary Call

1 hour ago, First Wazzock said:

I used to enjoy Neil Adams on Canary call, was far better.

Especially when that guy rang in and said 'How big is your d**k Neil?'

Got a Seven Nation army chant of ‘Neil how bigs your penis?’ chant going at Brentford away when he was in charge. Proud moment.

• Haha 1

On 26/12/2019 at 17:45, lake district canary said:

Can understand why he is combatting the slaters.  There is nothing to slate!  

See this is the kind of balls that means people don’t take you seriously.

We’re bottom of the league, 7 points off safety while conceding more goals than anyone else but in your world there is nothing to criticise.

7 minutes ago, king canary said:
On 26/12/2019 at 17:45, lake district canary said:

Can understand why he is combatting the slaters.  There is nothing to slate!  

See this is the kind of balls that means people don’t take you seriously.

We’re bottom of the league, 7 points off safety while conceding more goals than anyone else but in your world there is nothing to criticise.

This is exactly the kind of misrepresentation that doesn't help people's arguments.  Nowhere in any of my posts have I ever said don't criticise. There is always room for criticism, but my complaint is about "slating" which is not the same as "criticising".  

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is exactly the kind of misrepresentation that doesn't help people's arguments.  Nowhere in any of my posts have I ever said don't criticise. There is always room for criticism, but my complaint is about "slating" which is not the same as "criticising".  

To "slate" means to "criticise severely". Who decides what constitutes criticism and what constitutes severe criticism? Where do you draw the line? I think people who are criticising/slating the club for failing to invest in the squad over the summer are perfectly entitled to do so. Doesn't mean I agree with them, but when a club is bottom of the league some criticism is inevitable, and you're trying to draw an arbitrary line on what level of criticism is 'acceptable'.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

To "slate" means to "criticise severely". Who decides what constitutes criticism and what constitutes severe criticism? Where do you draw the line? I think people who are criticising/slating the club for failing to invest in the squad over the summer are perfectly entitled to do so. Doesn't mean I agree with them, but when a club is bottom of the league some criticism is inevitable, and you're trying to draw an arbitrary line on what level of criticism is 'acceptable'.

Sensible as usual FTW.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Talk about semantics. There is a point where criticism becomes slating....and that is the crux of the matter - people over reacting and coming out with the "but we h'ant got no hinvestment" line. Ok, they are entitled to their view - but I am entitled to comment on that view. 

And to be clear, I never said "don't criticise" I said don't slate....or to put it your way.......I never said don't criticise, I said "don't criticise severely".  

I hope that clears the point up. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

Talk about semantics. There is a point where criticism becomes slating....and that is the crux of the matter - people over reacting and coming out with the "but we h'ant got no hinvestment" line. Ok, they are entitled to their view - but I am entitled to comment on that view. 

And to be clear, I never said "don't criticise" I said don't slate....or to put it your way.......I never said don't criticise, I said "don't criticise severely".  

I hope that clears the point up. 

Yep, semantics. The meaning of words. That's kind of what I was getting at.

Maybe you could write up a list of guidelines for what constitutes an acceptable level of criticism, so we all know where we stand?

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Meh! I'll leave it to you and hogesar, you seem to want to be the arbiters of what is and what is not acceptable on here.

Christ alive man. Find me a lecture where I tell fellow fans how to behave and how to support their club. Go on, just one. You do about three a week... including the very post that I dared to question you about! You absolute nutter.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Meh! I'll leave it to you and hogesar, you seem to want to be the arbiters of what is and what is not acceptable on here.

Eh? What you involving me for now?

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Eh? What you involving me for now?

Apparently you and I are now telling everyone how to behave, because I questioned his arbitrary use of a word.

It's weird... I've openly agreed with a ton of what Lakey has posted on here recently, but the moment I disagree with him on something he starts getting all spiky. Funny old boy.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Apparently you and I are now telling everyone how to behave, because I questioned his arbitrary use of a word.

It's weird... I've openly agreed with a ton of what Lakey has posted on here recently, but the moment I disagree with him on something he starts getting all spiky. Funny old boy.

I dont think I've really commented one way or another on anything by Lakey directly, so was a tad confused.

Also, you're one of the last posters to tell other people how to behave, so seems unfair on you. 

I have the usual same people on here who dont like me where we may have 'confrontational' arguments on here but even those have generally been in pretty good spirit recently.

I can only assume hes trying to deflect attention away for some reason.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Got a Seven Nation army chant of ‘Neil how bigs your penis?’ chant going at Brentford away when he was in charge. Proud moment.

Someone who went to that match mentioned that to me after the game and I presumed he was joking!!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Christ alive man. Find me a lecture where I tell fellow fans how to behave and how to support their club. Go on, just one. You do about three a week... including the very post that I dared to question you about! You absolute nutter.

That's entirely different.  I'll discuss stuff with anyone, I'll argue any case I think important with anyone, but some on here like to think they are arbiters of what should and should not be said.....to my mind people can write what they like, as long as they don't mind being questioned about it.

42 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Hoggy won't be happy with that. 😜

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

That's entirely different.  I'll discuss stuff with anyone, I'll argue any case I think important with anyone, but some on here like to think they are arbiters of what should and should not be said.....to my mind people can write what they like, as long as they don't mind being questioned about it.

You've just accused me of being an arbiter of what should and should not be said, but all I was doing was questioning you about something you said, so I don't really see what the problem is here.

More than happy to just forget the last hour happened and look forward to the match tomorrow, carrying on with this would be a waste of time for both of us I think.

On 26/12/2019 at 18:49, Indy said:

Yet we scored three against the champions! Swings and roundabouts, had we spent 10 million on a decent striker to play with or option for Pukki, we might have scored more, then again how many goals has the multi million pound striker scored this year?

Possibly - but as you suggest,  how do we know if we would have scored more? Oli McBurne cost 17.5 million rising to £20 million (twice what you specify) and has returned 3 goals from 16. It might work out for them in the long run, who knows, but most of Sheffield United's success has come with last year's players rather than because of the new purchases.