Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Canary Call

Whats the point of it?

Butler is not being a Talksport adjitator he is just defending his NCFC access. 
Every caller who slates is shouted down. 
I thought is is a discussion show , not Butlers opinion vs the rest. He is not even understanding Rivers thoughts on loan players as he is to busy shouting. 

Can understand why he is combatting the slaters.  There is nothing to slate!  We are playing well, the goals will come if we continue to play as well as that and the season can turn on a couple of good results.  People have to hang in there and keep their toys in the pram.

No Lakey the goals won't come.  Our final ball generally not good enough. our one decent striker is playing with an injury.  Not enough depth in squad to sub him out even for a fully fit striker.  Not enough goals coming from midfield.  No goals coming from defenders.

Not throwing toys out the pram but Jesus man open your eyes.  You can still be positive and realistic at the same time!

43 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Can understand why he is combatting the slaters.  There is nothing to slate!  We are playing well, the goals will come if we continue to play as well as that and the season can turn on a couple of good results.  People have to hang in there and keep their toys in the pram.

Why will they come. How do you know. They haven’t come yet.  We can’t defend and we don’t score more than 1 goal a game at home. Only goals count. Not chances not near misses. Goals.  We will relegated without even putting up a fight. And tactical we are inept.  

5 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Why will they come. How do you know. They haven’t come yet.  We can’t defend and we don’t score more than 1 goal a game at home. Only goals count. Not chances not near misses. Goals.  We will relegated without even putting up a fight. And tactical we are inept.  

Can’t agree, we have the talent to create chances as we do, we’ve not taken them, on another day we certainly will score more.

That said we played a very poor team low on confidence and couldn’t score, the issue is Pukki doesn’t score we don’t have an equivalent striker as good to replace him with off the bench.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Can’t agree, we have the talent to create chances as we do, we’ve not taken them, on another day we certainly will score more.

That said we played a very poor team low on confidence and couldn’t score, the issue is Pukki doesn’t score we don’t have an equivalent striker as good to replace him with off the bench.

More goals didn’t come against Sheffield Utd or Wolves on other days. 

6 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

More goals didn’t come against Sheffield Utd or Wolves on other days. 

Yet we scored three against the champions! Swings and roundabouts, had we spent 10 million on a decent striker to play with or option for Pukki, we might have scored more, then again how many goals has the multi million pound striker scored this year?

Edited by Indy

Taking the conversation back to canary call... 

Yes it is awful. The host is basically the bloke from the pub who thinks he knows everything football.

A good host conducts the show while giving the guest and the callers a platform to deliver their opinions. 

A bad host just shouts his opinion over everyone else. That is Butler in my opinion, probably a lovely bloke but not suited for this show. 

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yet we scored three against the champions! Swings and roundabouts, had we spent 10 million on a decent striker to play with or option for Pukki, we might have scored more, then again how many goals has the multi million pound striker scored this year?

But it’s not the “Champions” we need to compete with.  And yes we did because they are open and allow teams to play. Their not in you face closing down. Pressuring us on the ball.  When that happens we play well.  Doesn’t always result in wins but like Liverpool and Chelsea who also play an expansive open game we do ok.

when you get in our faces close us down we struggle. Yeah chances have come but they run out as teams learn in play during the game how to combat us. And eventually we make the mistake and by then we’re all done. Can’t chase a game for toffees, can’t set the pace always want to play counter attack and never finish strongly when searching for equalisers.   

Limited by our squad! Would you rather play with 5 defenders, four midfielders? I’m not sure what you want to see any different, maybe you might ask yourself are our players good enough for a sustained campaign at this level? As we sit bottom after half the season I’d say no!

Butler is ok but he becomes boring very quickly,  and i tend to lose interest in the show as he tries to take over the whole show . He thinks his view is always the right view and he loves his own voice too much.

Whenever I listen it’s only ‘friends of the show’ that seem to get air time. It’s a terrible show with a terrible host. 

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No, people show passion for their club. There is plenty to slate. The table does not lie!

Butler is the main reason I no longer listen to Radio Norfolk coverage of NCFC. It's all about him and he only let's the same callers through week after week, why would I want to hear the same people calling in? Constantly kissing the club's backside. 

10 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

No, people show passion for their club. There is plenty to slate. The table does not lie!

The table does not show how well we have been playing and how close we are to getting results.  The team is still learning - and we have improved in many areas over the last few weeks - and dominating large parts of games.  A goal or two would help - and we came so close to scoring several times.  If we keep the levels of performance up, we stand a good chance of picking up results as the season progresses, maybe not enough, but who knows?  Just slating or trying cast blame isn't passion, it's just mouthing off.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The table does not show how well we have been playing and how close we are to getting results.  The team is still learning - and we have improved in many areas over the last few weeks - and dominating large parts of games.  A goal or two would help - and we came so close to scoring several times.  If we keep the levels of performance up, we stand a good chance of picking up results as the season progresses, maybe not enough, but who knows?  Just slating or trying cast blame isn't passion, it's just mouthing off.

No it isn’t, it is a sign of frustration, we have been here before. If the club cannot learn from the same mistakes every single time, then what is the point? How long do they need to “learn”? 6 or 7 games, yes. Half a season? No! You have said “if” and “would” do far in the paragraphs I have read. Take it you love dreaming up other outcomes? I see how you stay so positive now!

8 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No it isn’t, it is a sign of frustration, we have been here before. If the club cannot learn from the same mistakes every single time, then what is the point? How long do they need to “learn”? 6 or 7 games, yes. Half a season? No! You have said “if” and “would” do far in the paragraphs I have read. Take it you love dreaming up other outcomes? I see how you stay so positive now!

"If the club cannot learn from the same mistakes" ?  

What mistakes have there been recently? Getting promoted?  Getting the club in a good financial position and getting the Academy facilities upgraded at the same time?  Getting a progressive and intelligent management structure?

To most people the club has been turned from practically being a basket case, with huge salaries to non playing has beens, to a team playing some of the best football many of us have seen - and that includes some of our play this season - and a coaching/backroom staff that are excellent on every level.  Are they mistakes or are they improvements?  

Oh... you mean we haven't spent money......money we haven't got by the way......yeah, but then that would have been making the same mistakes as before, wouldn't it?

I used to enjoy Neil Adams on Canary call, was far better.

LDC I agree, the only way to make the changes some are calling for is to find a buyer and sell the club on the next promotion to a rich buyer.

If we get straight back up, the next promotion summer and we don’t spend any money then I can understand some of the comments about lack of investment, the players earned the right to play this season and the manager is correct in sticking to his playing style.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

What mistakes have there been recently? Getting promoted?  Getting the club in a good financial position and getting the Academy facilities upgraded at the same time?  Getting a progressive and intelligent management structure?

To most people the club has been turned from practically being a basket case, with huge salaries to non playing has beens, to a team playing some of the best football many of us have seen - and that includes some of our play this season - and a coaching/backroom staff that are excellent on every level.  Are they mistakes or are they improvements?  

Oh... you mean we haven't spent money......money we haven't got by the way......yeah, but then that would have been making the same mistakes as before, wouldn't it?

The club is currently bottom of the premiership and you mean the backwards owners have had a kick up the backside to actually make the club modern? We had one transfer window of investment and sold Johnson and Grabban to help fund it. All the club ever do is ensure the useless owners buy themselves more time, it’s so sad, not even a laughing stock where I live these days, just pity! 

I stopped listening to Canary Call after Rob Butler took over. Tune in occasionally and don't last long before I have to switch off; he comes across as a self-important, patronising tosspot. Neil Adams, on the other hand, was brilliant; probably on account of understanding how football actually works over many years as a player, coach and co-commentator. Butler is just a sub-Talksport soapboxer with an inflated sense of self-worth. Gross.

• Like 2

Last week had to be the worst yet with Butler spending most of the show eulogising over Martin Peters who he clearly had never met, seen play or even knew much about. I turned over to 5 Live and learned more about Peters death in a 10 second bulletin than I had from 10 minutes of Butler boring on about him. It was embarrassing and cringeworthy. I don't know what Butler's background is (not journalism, surely) but he comes across as some sort of poundshop Alan Partridge.

• Like 2

No different to any other football phone in. Not sure why it bothers some people. Butler is just a fan, some will agree with him some wont.

Just now, hogesar said:

No different to any other football phone in. Not sure why it bothers some people. Butler is just a fan, some will agree with him some wont.

Its true what you say,  but we all love a moan lol 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:
8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

The club is currently bottom of the premiership and you mean the backwards owners have had a kick up the backside to actually make the club modern? We had one transfer window of investment and sold Johnson and Grabban to help fund it. All the club ever do is ensure the useless owners buy themselves more time, it’s so sad, not even a laughing stock where I live these days, just pity! 

So we're bottom, yes, not nice, but by your judgement we could be in the top six and you would still be batting on about things that happened well in the past. Mistakes were made, but the club has moved on, there is a purpose about what we are doing, there is a long term strategy, there is a plan in place, currently the best club set up in the whole time DS and MJW have been majority shareholders - and it led us to a season none of us will ever forget last season - and on to this season where the challenges are there  to be overcome - and at this point, there is still everything to play for.  

People can wallow in misery at being bottom, or they can get over that, recognise the improved performances and the possibility that we can improve still further - and rise to the challenge of what the season still has to offer.