Hucks6

At least we will be a rich championship club

When we sell half of our players next year.Thanks Mr Webber why wait for two years to leave go now and run how you did at Huddersfield 

Wonder if Webber might get bored of another Championship season too. Wouldn't be surprised that he goes before his 3 years are out (I always felt it was arrogant for him to even state that intention).

Sorry cliff the canary.Delia has been led up the garden path by a man who is up his own backside 

2 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Sorry cliff the canary.Delia has been led up the garden path by a man who is up his own backside 

I didn’t realise that Delia knows Waveney 

• Haha 1

We will only be in ‘the mix’ with several clubs with wealthy owners willing to spend. We’ll get one or two years of parachute payments to have  another attempt at fluking not being relegated. This is where we are at present.

A rich club yes but only for next 3 seasons of failure.  Watch the debts pile up you cannot see another PL financial shot in the arm for the foreseeable future.  Self funding will not work in the lower reaches of the championship only feasible with PL riches.

Just now, Hucks6 said:

I’m sorry! Does Stuart Webber have any control over the amount of capital invested in the playing squad?

Im not denying there is a hint of arrogance about the guy, but that comes as part of the course for anyone with ambition!

However his remit this year was to take a championship squad with the bare minimum of investment into the EPL and compete with teams who regularly spend >£20m per player!

Given that remit, what’s the biggest surprise is that SW didn’t resign before the season started!

As per many of my post the problem with NCFC are the owners who are financially unable to run a club at this level!

surely this must be obvious to all???

5 minutes ago, Cliff the Canary said:

the problem with NCFC are the owners who are financially unable to run a club at this level!

Nail on head. We will forever be Yo Yo with these owners. 

Time to say 'Hello' to championship football. Only a miracle will get us out of this hole now. Looking forward to next season already/.

Quite agree.

low spending in the champ result promotion.......miracle achieved.

low spending in the PL can only result in relegation.

Such a small investment this year to me just shows a complete lack of intend by the board.

A so called self funding club just can’t be done in the PL. I know there are a lot more knowledgeable folk on here, be nice if someone could point out a self funding club who spent a few consecutive seasons in the PL

Fact is we are a selling club, it’s in our DNA.

I think the intent is there'll be more money in the kitty for next time we're promoted, which given our record should be fairly soon. So more money to splash on improving the squad and relegation won't mean we'll have to sell, only if an offer is too good to refuse.

4 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

.....Fact is we are a selling club, it’s in our DNA.

An intrinsic part of the model we are adopting. I have glory hunting work colleagues who support one of the ‘big’ PL teams, overlooking Norwich for always having displayed a lack of ambition. Idiots I agree, but I given our position now I kind of understand the thinking- 18 to 26 (at best) in the ‘pecking order’ is always going to be our glass ceiling.

Farke is a managerial genius. The responsibility for our failure today rests firmly in the boardroom. Our cash stockpile should at least stave off administration for a while.

3 hours ago, pete said:

A rich club yes but only for next 3 seasons of failure.  Watch the debts pile up you cannot see another PL financial shot in the arm for the foreseeable future.  Self funding will not work in the lower reaches of the championship only feasible with PL riches.

Not wanting to depress you or anything Pete but if we go down this year it’ll only be two years parachute payments 😒

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pete said:

That is just word salad Pete, picking up a young player for next to nothing, developing them and selling them at a profit is not dependent on PL money.

3 hours ago, Beetley Yellow said:

We will only be in ‘the mix’ with several clubs with wealthy owners willing to spend. We’ll get one or two years of parachute payments to have  another attempt at fluking not being relegated. This is where we are at present.

Michael Bailey recently reported the Financial Fair Play rules are starting to bite now for the Championship clubs, so the ability to outspend us by our potential rivals is finally falling away. 

We would be a Championship winning team with another years experience In the grown ups’ league v’s some famous name teams rebuilding from financial meltdown and a bunch of also rans. 

Maximizing opportunity for success depends if we retain our system and high technical quality of players. So to answer that look to who will leave or stay, and who we have signed for our U23 squad recently. 

Maybe a side effect of Brexit will be killing off the pipeline of almost PL quality overseas players getting a work visa to play in the Championship. Teams with older squads may then struggle to replace their better players 

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

When Webber and Farke arrived we had big debts, were paying out mega bucks to players on long contracts and who contributed not very much. The infrastructure of the club had a future based on the Portman Road model and the academy had produced very little.

All we had was one saleable asset in Maddison.

Fast forward two years and what has been achieved is nothing short of amazing. Yes we're extremely likely to come down because we used the cash windfall to sort out all the highly expensive problems listed above, the alternative was to spend like Villa and Fulham and end up in sh!t creek again if we went down. 

When we go down we will be where we should have been when we came down under Alex Neil instead of the utter Horlics of a state we  actually found ourselves in, after pi$$ing it away up a wall, to coin a phrase.

This time we will be debt free, the players we have are worth fortunes rather than leeching away cash like Naismith and Jarvis, who couldn't be given away. The infrastructure improvements have been paid for and we have added significantly to our up and coming academy talent.

It's not nice at this stage of the project and ultimately we may **** it up again next year, but we have given ourselves the best possible chance of taking the next step.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

“Fast forward two years and what has been achieved is nothing short of amazing. Yes we're extremely likely to come down because we used the cash windfall to sort out all the highly expensive problems listed above, the alternative was to spend like Villa and Fulham and end up in sh!t creek again if we went down.”

So there was no alternatives other than spend practically nothing or spend £100 million? 
How about spending £5-8 million on 3 players with potential and developing those players? I get feed up reading comments about us “doing a Fulham, Villa” literally no one has asked for us to do that. What we did was to abandon the model we had in place of getting players in and developing them and decided to take the money and run instead 

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

Bloody hell, this thread is like a family reunion of those who went completely AWOL last season!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cliff the Canary said:

I’m sorry! Does Stuart Webber have any control over the amount of capital invested in the playing squad?

Im not denying there is a hint of arrogance about the guy, but that comes as part of the course for anyone with ambition!

However his remit this year was to take a championship squad with the bare minimum of investment into the EPL and compete with teams who regularly spend >£20m per player!

Given that remit, what’s the biggest surprise is that SW didn’t resign before the season started!

As per many of my post the problem with NCFC are the owners who are financially unable to run a club at this level!

Stuart Webber has total control over the amount of capital invested in the playing squad. What a very nieve comment to make.

He controls the scouting system, he searches out players with those scouts, he states what we are going to pay for a player, he negotiates contracts, he negotiates the selling of players, he states who will be leaving if they are past their sell by date!

he is the director of football, he hires and fires. Farke is merely a coach!

he will jog on when it gets tough, as he did at Huddersfield and just as his predecessors have done.  That is football.

• Thanks 1

That's not true in the slightest. Where has this ridiculous "taken the money and run" nonsense come from. For starters we don't get a lump sum on promotion, we'd have to risk borrowing the money on future income, which could work or fail badly and lead us to exactly the same position.

We have invested in future prospects, but future being the operative word.

We could invest £5-8 million on 3 players. and I am sure they are looking for gems, but it's not that simple. We could've got 3 Patrick Roberts for instance.

Delia has not got a handbag full of used £50 notes. She is not a Mobuto type dictator building castles in the jungles of Suffolk.

A lot of income will still be going on wages so for that we do have to be financially sensible.

Yes, the results are extremely frustrating but stop making up nonsense.

12 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Not wanting to depress you or anything Pete but if we go down this year it’ll only be two years parachute payments 😒

That's like throwing a drowning man a Divers lead belt.

15 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Stuart Webber has total control over the amount of capital invested in the playing squad. What a very nieve comment to make.

He controls the scouting system, he searches out players with those scouts, he states what we are going to pay for a player, he negotiates contracts, he negotiates the selling of players, he states who will be leaving if they are past their sell by date!

he is the director of football, he hires and fires. Farke is merely a coach!

he will jog on when it gets tough, as he did at Huddersfield and just as his predecessors have done.  That is football.

He left Huddersfield on the cusp of Promotion. I'm not sure he left when it 'got tough'. 

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bloody hell, this thread is like a family reunion of those who went completely AWOL last season!

Official Eyeore flashmobs will be held every time we lose from now till end of season, then they can all say 'we told you so' .....as if our history ends at the end of this season.

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

Official Eyeore flashmobs will be held every time we lose from now till end of season, then they can all say 'we told you so' .....as if our history ends at the end of this season.

Can't wait! 😂

18 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Stuart Webber has total control over the amount of capital invested in the playing squad

What a complete load of tosh. He has some control over what we do with what have , none at all over how much is available, that is taken care of by accountants who will say how much is available once we have budgeted for all considerations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

What a complete load of tosh. He has some control over what we do with what have , none at all over how much is available, that is taken care of by accountants who will say how much is available once we have budgeted for all considerations.

I would imagine that the board collectively agree on the transfer budget, with the majority shareholders having the casting vote. I'd imagine the accountants present their findings to the board, who then decide what is invested where. This would also include any improvements to the academy/training facilities, plus any potential war chest for planned stadium upgrades, as well as player transfers.