Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Still in there fighting - and we WILL improve results.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

But the start of that season including that 10 game run, we were playing good football, it wasn’t till the following season with his Park the Bus tactics which relegated us that things turned.

I disagree, losing as we are is more acceptable as we’re giving it a go, rather than losing in a negative style!.... but yes winning is definitely more pleasurable 👍

When Hughton came in, once they'd settled Bassong and Turner were a superb partnership, Garrido an upgrade on Tierney. The team looked organised and efficient. We didnt look soft, and importantly we had an outlet in a player like Holt. Redmond also dazzled until he had some of that beaten out of him. The problem came when Hughton was finally able to roll out his masterplan with his players

Just now, nutty nigel said:

He is but Buendia is the key that unlocks him. Anyway, I don't know of any team in my 52 years going that would have been improved with RVW.

That's harsh, what about that season under Roeder when we played Darel Russell up front for half a season 😉

Just now, nutty nigel said:

He is but Buendia is the key that unlocks him. Anyway, I don't know of any team in my 52 years going that would have been improved with RVW.

Come on Nutty, 2004/05 when we had the ginger pele up front as we had no other striker to talk of! Surely even RVW would have improved that team?

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's harsh, what about that season under Roeder when we played Darel Russell up front for half a season 😉

Not sure he'd have improved it, maybe it wouldn't have been worse though...

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Come on Nutty, 2004/05 when we had the ginger pele up front as we had no other striker to talk of! Surely even RVW would have improved that team?

BLASPHEMY!

No-one yet born could improve on the Ginger Pele.

OTBC

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Nope, Gingerpele was more of a threat. Defenders had to mark him on set plays...

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Oi, lay off him!

There's the marketing team, for starters. Think about all the shirts he sold!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

When Hughton came in, once they'd settled Bassong and Turner were a superb partnership, Garrido an upgrade on Tierney. The team looked organised and efficient. We didnt look soft, and importantly we had an outlet in a player like Holt. Redmond also dazzled until he had some of that beaten out of him. The problem came when Hughton was finally able to roll out his masterplan with his players

The player from our current squad that Hughton really needed was Onel Hernandez.

He was trying to counter attack with Snodgrass our main outlet. The problem being that Snodgrass was a bit short of pace, it was a really quite silly idea.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Cant help but question his signing. We were all excited to have what we were told at the time was one of the hottest prospects in Europe, stolen from under the noses of the big boys.

However, RvW scored almost all his goals in a particular way. It seems baffling to me that you would break your transfer record for such a player, and then not set your team up to replicate how he scored goals. Also the same is true of Hooper, who I thought was the business when he first arrived (see defence splitting pass from Fer and clinical finish from Hooper against ?Watford).

Just smacked of spun-king money at players with a good goalscoring record and thinking 'Right, fat tyre-fitter replaced, proven goalscorers installed, goals taken care of, now, lets get the other 9 outfield players working on their defensive drills' without really appreciating why they were prolific, or how they were expected to score goals in your system.

Also, were they intended to play together or not, because it might not have been the best move to for your two most expensive outlays to not be on the pitch at the same time

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

9 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Big Rob Newman.....leading the line......

The only thing dear old Rob could lead was a pie eating contest. He did try though. A real Swiss-army-knife of a player. Think he even played in goal once.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That season's Bassong was awesome. That season's Bassong would be brilliant in this team.

I have always said that Bassong is simultaneously the best and worst defender we've ever had.

The Bassong of that first season was a cut above any Centre-back I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt. He was absolutely brilliant. What the hell happened to him after that I have no idea

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Cant help but question his signing. We were all excited to have what we were told at the time was one of the hottest prospects in Europe, stolen from under the noses of the big boys.

However, RvW scored almost all his goals in a particular way. It seems baffling to me that you would break your transfer record for such a player, and then not set your team up to replicate how he scored goals. Also the same is true of Hooper, who I thought was the business when he first arrived (see defence splitting pass from Fer and clinical finish from Hooper against ?Watford).

Just smacked of spun-king money at players with a good goalscoring record and thinking 'Right, fat tyre-fitter replaced, proven goalscorers installed, goals taken care of, now, lets get the other 9 outfield players working on their defensive drills'

We definitely didn't play to RVW's or Hooper's strengths.

But RVW still wasn't Premier League standard. 

I felt a bit sorry for Gary Hooper as he had one shot really of coming down from the SPL and proving himself Premier League standard, and he chose completely the wrong club. 

Hooper may well have just been top Championship standard and not Premier League, but I can't help but wonder whether his career would have looked somewhat different if he'd made the right move at that stage of his career. 

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The player from our current squad that Hughton really needed was Onel Hernandez.

He was trying to counter attack with Snodgrass our main outlet. The problem being that Snodgrass was a bit short of pace, it was a really quite silly idea.

He would have ruined Hernandez. That team cried out for anyone to play the way Onel does, but the reason noone did was because of the restrictive tactics. Redmond dazzled every time he got the ball when he first arrived before he had defensive discipline drilled into him

8 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Sorry, but i really hate this kind of snobbishness. How do you know how Burnley play? Do you watch them every week? Clearly they must have players that are premiership quality and play in a style that fits well in one of the best leagues in the world - unlike us, unfortunately. I'd love to be Burnley. 

OTBC

Of course I know how Burnley play, I've seen plenty enough of them to know, and the stats of their games back it up.

Youd love to be Burnley now, but you wouldnt have done some years ago, it would be some other team that's currently in the prem punching above their weight. It was us for 3 consecutive seasons not so long ago.

Anyway, it's nothing to do with snobbishness. Its just the style of football you like to watch. 

• Like 1

Always enjoy when we get into the argument of ‘would you rather be Hughton?’ as if no middle ground could exist between getting relegated scor By the least goals like him or getting relegated conceding the most goals like now.

There are no other options!

Gosh I never expected this season would be one where I looked back on the Hughton era with fondness 

yes his tactics were negative but at least he had an understanding of the game. Not just sending out your team to run around like headless chickens 

3 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Gosh I never expected this season would be one where I looked back on the Hughton era with fondness 

yes his tactics were negative but at least he had an understanding of the game. Not just sending out your team to run around like headless chickens 

And there, my friends, is the exact reason why we need to get behind Daniel Farke. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

Always enjoy when we get into the argument of ‘would you rather be Hughton?’ as if no middle ground could exist between getting relegated scor By the least goals like him or getting relegated conceding the most goals like now.

There are no other options!

When things are going badly fan's never see a middle-ground. They always 'want' a middle ground option but they only exist when things are going well...

16 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Sooo funny, love your “jokes”

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When things are going badly fan's never see a middle-ground. They always 'want' a middle ground option but they only exist when things are going well...

I’d suggest that when things are going badly it is precisely because you’re too far away from the middle ground usually.

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I’d suggest that when things are going badly it is precisely because you’re too far away from the middle ground usually.

Well, apparently so. But not necessarily. No one complained about our defending at set pieces when we won the league last season.

The majority of fans pretend to care about what they're watching but really all they care about is winning football. Which is their prerogative. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Well, apparently so. But not necessarily. No one complained about our defending at set pieces when we won the league last season.

The majority of fans pretend to care about what they're watching but really all they care about is winning football. Which is their prerogative. 

Results are obviously priority. Style gives you a certain amount of rope IMO. Neil and Farke are both managers who generally played good football so get far more time if results are poor than Hughton ever did 

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

Results are obviously priority. Style gives you a certain amount of rope IMO. Neil and Farke are both managers who generally played good football so get far more time if results are poor than Hughton ever did 

Neil stopped playing good football after that 6-2 shellacking at Newcastle. At least Farke has stuck to his guns, despite having absolutely no financial backing. I really respect him for that, and that's why I can stomach our weaknesses.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Neil stopped playing good football after that 6-2 shellacking at Newcastle. At least Farke has stuck to his guns, despite having absolutely no financial backing. I really respect him for that, and that's why I can stomach our weaknesses.

My point is not about their relative merits- simply that Neil and Farke had both shown themselves capable of players by entertaining and successful football, this got/will get more rope than a dour manager like Hughton wth fans.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

My point is not about their relative merits- simply that Neil and Farke had both shown themselves capable of players by entertaining and successful football, this got/will get more rope than a dour manager like Hughton wth fans.

Yeah, I agree with you. All I'm adding is that despite our inferior league position, Farke is getting even more rope than Neil did because he's stuck to his guns rather than trying to totally reinvent his tactical approach based on one poor result.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

I often worried about the way we defended last season, but we were winning so no one dwelled on it. I’m really proud of the way we continue to play football, but we’re simply not good enough at the defensive side of the game, coupled with the fact it’s a lot harder to outscore most of the teams in this division, compared to last year.

27 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

I often worried about the way we defended last season, but we were winning so no one dwelled on it. I’m really proud of the way we continue to play football, but we’re simply not good enough at the defensive side of the game, coupled with the fact it’s a lot harder to outscore most of the teams in this division, compared to last year.

Yep, hard to argue with any of that.