Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official match thread v A. Villa*****

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Thought Hanley did ok today......

Seconded. I wonder if Hanley's virtues as a pure defender might be more useful to us at the moment than Ben's footballing attributes.

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Seconded. I wonder if Hanley's virtues as a pure defender might be more useful to us at the moment than Ben's footballing attributes.

Thats a great point , Ben's speed  and passing ability are there for all to see, but his pure defending brain does  leave a lot to be desired as he is often out of position ,  and his speed will most times get him out of trouble. But his biggest problem is he loses his man so often in the air ,and is still learning the art of defending , being as he was a defensive central midfielder.

Hanley certainly improves our defending on set pieces. He's not afraid  to attack the ball regardless of who is around him.

35 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

A few more competitive games under Grant Hanley's belt won't do him any harm....He may even keep Mr Godfrey out when Ben returns to match fitness?.....

Perhaps we could think the unthinkable again and keep Hanley at CB and push Godfrey into midfield? Or maybe 3 at the back?

We need to do something different to give ourselves a break

Good performance, wr created enough  chances but never to put them away. We were the better team but at this stage you need points on the board and losing that was a very upsetting result  especially because Villa got lucky. 

Would playing a back three, with Godfrey just in front of Hanley / Zimbo combo give us a better solid base and allow our wingbacks more freedom to go forward?

We could then drop Trybull, allowing McClean & Tettey to push up higher compress the midfield and support Cantwell & Buendia more?

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Would playing a back three, with Godfrey just in front of Hanley / Zimbo combo give us a better solid base and allow our wingbacks more freedom to go forward?

We could then drop Trybull, allowing McClean & Tettey to push up higher compress the midfield and support Cantwell & Buendia more?

I like that. Godfrey pushing forward, with Vrancic able to play instead of McLean if we want to sacrifice a bit of bite for some added creativity. Much as I love Onel, I think he's best used as an impact sub for now.

------------------------Krul---------------------------
------Hanley----Godfrey-----Zimbo---------
Aarons-------------------------------------Byram
----------------Tettey-------McLean-------------
---------------Buendia----Cantwell-------------
------------------------Pukki--------------------------

Hanley looks determined,  which was missing at the start of the season;  I wonder if he is now feeling truly fit and that is showing in his improved encouraging performances