Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pete

Racism footbal's dirty secret

Recommended Posts

We have had a rash of racist incidents at high profile matches in recent times.  Everyone is blaming it as a societal problem which of course it is but football gives a forum for the bigots to carry out their racist bile whilst hiding amongst a crowd of their peers who will not identify the miscreants.  Football needs to start to put its house in order to stamp racism out by taking positives steps to close parts of grounds where home supporters are found to be guilty i.e. Chelsea and Tottenham recently hitting clubs in the pocket.  Start with small areas maybe a few rows where the racists congregate which seems to be close to the touchline.  Then if the racism is not snuffed out close parts of the ground and then deduct points.  Racists will be swiftly identified and not be welcomed.

The FA and EPL need to start taking the strongest action to start taking this seriously.  And urge UEFA and FIFA to take progressive action to take the matter seriously rather than the half hearted approach they have adopted.

Racists not welcome at Carrow Rd and happily not in attendance.  Not the same at all clubs.  Decisive action needed now.  Will we see it maybe not.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately part of your post isn’t true. I once went to a steward to report someone who had shouted out something that was blatantly racist. The steward, who had been sitting closer than me to the blokes said he didn’t hear anything. I had to go to the head steward at the end of the match and he said that the three supporters would be getting letters from the club. They were very quiet for the next few home matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Unfortunately part of your post isn’t true. I once went to a steward to report someone who had shouted out something that was blatantly racist. The steward, who had been sitting closer than me to the blokes said he didn’t hear anything. I had to go to the head steward at the end of the match and he said that the three supporters would be getting letters from the club. They were very quiet for the next few home matches.

Is that something that happened recently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something in society has gone wrong. There’s always racists in any crowd but now they seem to be getting braver and off load their views for players to hear. 

Anything to do with the frustrations of Brexit not coming quickly enough for the bigoted minority? 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can you expect society not to be racist when the very top of our establishment have been accused of it, i.e Islamophobia and racism in the Conservative party and anti-semitism in Labour. And it isn't just Britain, e.g. Joffra Archer in New Zealand. Unfortunately right wing beliefs seem to be becoming even more prevalent across the world and I fear the situation will get worse before it gets better. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Is that something that happened recently?

No, it was a while back, the player concerned was Dele Adebola. I was just making the point that Norwich supporters aren’t necessarily as squeaky clean as Pete was suggesting 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

How can you expect society not to be racist when the very top of our establishment have been accused of it, i.e Islamophobia and racism in the Conservative party and anti-semitism in Labour. And it isn't just Britain, e.g. Joffra Archer in New Zealand. Unfortunately right wing beliefs seem to be becoming even more prevalent across the world and I fear the situation will get worse before it gets better. 

Just because someone has a 'right wing belief' as you put it does not automatically mean that person is racist. Why should it? Both Russia and China have severe problems with racism in that their governments / society are intrinsically to blame. Last time I checked, those countries were tagged as 'left wing' due to overt communist / pseudo communist regimes. Racism is an intolerance of others due to ethnicity, skin colour, religion etc. I don't think it matters a jot whether the perpetrator is from a so called 'right wing' country or 'left wing'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can people  be ar$ed to be racist when all races are everywhere nowadays, its too late,, game over. None of us is'pure' anything  anyway anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Racsim is society's problem, not footballs.

 

When you have a PM who has made racist remarks and then gets re-elected with a near landslide, then it strikes me that those up high are quite happy to condone that sort of language and behaviour as its a vote winner.

then you have the President of the USA making even worse racist statements...well what do you expect?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made the point last year that there is loads of racist at football clubs ours included 

one poster on here had the raving hump with me at the time but I haven’t changed my view 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It strikes me as extraordinary that the Government is putting pressure on football over racism. Do they think that people become racists only when they're at a football match? It beggars belief. 

We all thought this problem had gone away but 3 years ago it suddenly started getting worse again. If the Prime Minister and his Government wonder why, perhaps they should take a long hard look in the mirror. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t help when Sky are too craven to call it out and get their presenter to spout some b*llocks like “these aren’t the views of Sky Sports” when Gary Neville points out the problem.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

It doesn’t help when Sky are too craven to call it out and get their presenter to spout some b*llocks like “these aren’t the views of Sky Sports” when Gary Neville points out the problem.

That was very poor. I understand these companies like to have a balanced argument but not on this, surely?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Herman said:

That was very poor. I understand these companies like to have a balanced argument but not on this, surely?!

It’s too reminiscent of Trump’s “very fine people on both sides” for my liking. The only remotely feasible explanation I’ve heard is that Sky are scared of upsetting the Premier League. Which is strange, given how much money they throw their way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Just because someone has a 'right wing belief' as you put it does not automatically mean that person is racist. Why should it?

Of course it doesn't mean that those holding right-wing beliefs are automatically racist. Many right wing people are strongly opposed to racism. However, to answer your question, there is a stream of right wing nationalism that is prone to racism. A nationalism that proclaims that "we" are better than anyone else emphasises supremacy over "them:" it emphasises differences rather than similarities. Of course it is possible to be patriotic without being racist, there is no "automatic" connection; however those on the extreme right of politics are more prone to racism.

Neither China not Russia have ever been "communist" despite having been tagged as such. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

It doesn’t help when Sky are too craven to call it out and get their presenter to spout some b*llocks like “these aren’t the views of Sky Sports” when Gary Neville points out the problem.

It was an astonishing thing to say during the discussion and was so blatantly wrong.

Dave Jones has since issued an apology, below, the explanation appears to be that Neville was suggesting that the problem was made worse by the racism displayed both by the Prime Minister and the leader of the Opposition, Jones remark was fed to him by Sky apparently in the interest of non political bias,  ie other racist leaders are available!

“I’m so sorry to have spoiled what was such an important discussion on racism tonight,” Jones posted on Twitter. “I had to intervene when Gary suggested the two main political parties were to blame - I didn’t make that clear enough. For that I apologise unreservedly.

 

“I would never purposefully shut down a discussion on racism. I’ve worked for Sky for over 20 years and know they share my view that racism of any kind should not be tolerated. That is not a debate. And that’s why I’m so very disappointed and sorry tonight.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Racism is not society's problem. Society may have to deal with the consequences. But racism is an individuals problem. If you think you are superior to someone just because of their race or colour then you are at odds with society.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

How can people  be ar$ed to be racist when all races are everywhere nowadays, its too late,, game over. None of us is'pure' anything  anyway anymore. 

Exactly, and what I can't get my head around is that fans can racially abuse a player on another team when they have players the same on their side!? 

Are they selective racists or just stupid racists 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Exactly, and what I can't get my head around is that fans can racially abuse a player on another team when they have players the same on their side!? 

Are they selective racists or just stupid racists 🤷‍♂️

When Cyrille Regis passed away I read the story about George Berry hearing a load of racist abuse coming from a West Brom fan, while marking Cyrille at a corner.

"Who you talking to? Me or Cyrille?" asked George.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read an article on the BBC last week about the new owner of Beitar Jerusalem, an apparently notorious club in Israel. They have a massive problem with hatred towards Arabs and Muslims.
 

The new owner’s solution was to threaten to personally sue anyone who displays racist behaviour. The club sent letters to individuals that they had identified, accusing them of behaviour that damaged the reputation of the club. There were two reported racist incidents last season and none so far this season. He has suggested that FIFA and UEFA should think about using this approach.

I don’t know whether our laws would allow this course of action but something needs to be done because the current deterrents are not sufficient.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When anti-Semitism, which is a form of racism, is condoned and even encouraged at all levels of the Labour party - all the way to the leader of the party, then there is little surprise that some see it as open season to be racist. Not even top-level investigations seem to make much difference, the Human Rights Commission have only invstigated two political parties, the BNP and the Labour party and until there's some severe punishment to make people sit up and take note, it will undoubtedly continue for a long time yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badger said:

Of course it doesn't mean that those holding right-wing beliefs are automatically racist. Many right wing people are strongly opposed to racism. However, to answer your question, there is a stream of right wing nationalism that is prone to racism. A nationalism that proclaims that "we" are better than anyone else emphasises supremacy over "them:" it emphasises differences rather than similarities. Of course it is possible to be patriotic without being racist, there is no "automatic" connection; however those on the extreme right of politics are more prone to racism.

Neither China not Russia have ever been "communist" despite having been tagged as such. 

Sadly, such apology for Communism exists still today, despite the knowledge that both those countries murdered far more of their own citizens than the Nazis inflicted on others.

And given that Nazis were National Socialists, in other words Nationalists of the Far Left, we can dismiss Badger's claim that those on the extreme right of politics are more prone to racism as without evidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

When anti-Semitism, which is a form of racism, is condoned and even encouraged at all levels of the Labour party - all the way to the leader of the party, then there is little surprise that some see it as open season to be racist. Not even top-level investigations seem to make much difference, the Human Rights Commission have only invstigated two political parties, the BNP and the Labour party and until there's some severe punishment to make people sit up and take note, it will undoubtedly continue for a long time yet.

Let's not politicise racism Boato. Its more fundamental than politics or religion for that matter, it is a basic human right to walk unchallenged on grounds of geographical origin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your wasting your time expecting anything sensible from RTB.

" Nazis were National Socialists, in other words Nationalists of the Far Left". - RTB

" The National Socialist German Workers' Party commonly referred to in English as the **** Party was a far-right political party" - people who are not stupid.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

And given that Nazis were National Socialists, in other words Nationalists of the Far Left

Oh dear. I failed my History O-Level but even I know that this is incorrect-is it just plain stupidity or some sort of agenda?

Edited by Mr Angry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Exactly, and what I can't get my head around is that fans can racially abuse a player on another team when they have players the same on their side!? 

Are they selective racists or just stupid racists 🤷‍♂️

A lot of these people just don't see it as racism I think. Their attitude is he's black so I called him an effing black so and so and if he was Welsh I'd have called him an effing Welsh so and so, if he was ginger an effing ginger so and so, etc. They would say they aren't really racist and it's just part of letting off steam at a football match, hence why they don't abuse their own black players.

So to answer your question, both stupid and selective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Maybe he means they were so far left that they went all the way around and popped out, highly surprised, on the right.

Have you seen Eddie Izzard’s sketch about fashion - the fashion wheel spins from fashionable to hipster to extremely fashionable and then it suddenly becomes “looking like a ****”?
 

Except it’s funnier when he does it.

Same idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...