Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Team for next season

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Just checked how the professionals view it and it’s less than a 20% chance. 4/1 to stay up but we’ve the over-round calculator bookies use it’s realistically around a 15% chance on staying up. 

And how many of the professionals said we would lose to Man City!! Predictions are futile!

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No one has given up but the table doesn’t lie after this many matches. 

The table is based on matches played so far, not those of the future!!!

8 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

And how many of the professionals said we would lose to Man City!! Predictions are futile!

You do realise how many games we have lost this season ? Ok let’s dine out on the Man City result all season.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You do realise how many games we have lost this season ? Ok let’s dine out on the Man City result all season.

Not finished pudding from Leicester yet 👍🏼

We shall be needing some English qualified to comply with EFL regs or to meet EPL regs if unbelievably we manage to stay up.  Don't think Idah will be qualified as such but whatever it will be risky to put him into the main striking role to try to maintain a promotion push, not to achieve a decent position will see the end of Farke.  We shall need new CB's as it looks Ben G will be off and Klose has become injury prone.  New striker or striker to rely on Drmic cannot be considered another sicknote investment will have to be made in this area which needs to be sufficient to recruit able personnel. 

20 hours ago, Surfer said:

We may not sell any of those 5 players, it may be Stiepermann, Hanley, Trybull, Tettey and Klose that we’d move on. Remember this probable relegation was budgeted for, all the players are on 4 year contracts and much of the team is young, so apart from wages what is the incentive to leave immediately instead of taking another year to mature in this team? 

I heard rumours that Pukki's head has been turned already and he may be seeking a move as early as January. Even though he doesnt seem the type, one has to factor in these players' agents. Ryan Giggs and Steven Gerrards agents probably made modest earnings from their careers. The Anelka brothers however made a fortune.

I wouldnt count on any idea of loyalty from these players, if they get a Premier League opportunity, they'll move. If we force them to stay we disrupt the harmony of the squad, upon which Farke places such importance, and he may underperform, ultimatey devaluing our asset.

Remember, we once rejected a bid of £4m for Keith O'Neill, only to sell him a year later for £700,000. Swansea rejected bids of £25m for Michu. Sell while the iron is hot

We will have little hope of retaining these players, only driving up their price. With some of the fees we have received of late, the bend over for me Norwich appears to be a thing of the past thankfully

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I could have highlighted all your post to me, but this part will do. You simply don't know if this team is good enough or not. No one does because the future has not been written yet!!!! 

And you seem to equate "enjoyment" with accepting we will go down....how about enjoying the football without accepting we will go down?  If you need to accept something, accept that you don't know what will happen, because that is the reality.

You mention added pressure trying to stay up...but there is no added pressure to think we might stay up, unless you want to think there is added pressure!! 

The mindset that makes sense to me is to enjoy the football for what it is - so we are that much in aggreement - but this kind of fatalism that some seem to have that "we are going down" is quite simply to my mind a cop out. It's a kind of "Yey, I'm going to enjoy the football because we are going down and it doesn't matter, its cool because it's in the long term plan".

How about enjoying the football because of the challenge of the competition....the challenge of playing our style of football and seeing if we can improve results? The margins as we have seen are very small......there is room for improvement - and we can improve.  

I am frankly staggered at this thought that people have given up already and are just going to try and enjoy it, as if they can't enjoy it for what it is.....a challenge to improve what we do and a challenge to win every game. If people haven't got the stomach for the challenge, then fair enough, but some of us still believe the future is uncertain and like it that way.

Football, like life, is uncertain. You simply have to enjoy it for what it is and the uncertainty is delicious - we could beat Villa, we could beat Spurs, we could beat Palace...we could end up in the mix again, like probably Watford will too and then the whole second half of the season could be a dogfight between about ten clubs to stay up.  Likewise we could lose the next four or five games.....but we don't know that! The future is uncertain - accept that then you might enjoy the football even more!

Relish it! Relish the challenge! Enjoy the challenge! Enjoy the fact that we are up against huge odds and could still overcome them!  Enjoy it for what it is.....not for what is some kind of mental gymnastics that says we have been relegated when wer're not even half way through the season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, to continue my fatalistic approach, ultimately it doesnt matter what we do as fans (unless Webber's comments are to be believed) as Im not on the pitch or in charge of what happens. Im not a church-goer so my sentiments carry only through to this board. But I dont want to get sucked into the feelings of desperation and negativity that I have felt in previous seasons, and Im not sure I can do that without making my peace with the fact that staying up is not the be-all and end-all

But hey, perhaps you and me are at different ends of the spectrum Lakey when it comes to the concept of locus of control. Each to his own

12 hours ago, lake district canary said:

We're not even half way through the season.

We are though really arent we. We've played 18 of 38 games. Yes 19 games is the official halfway point, but it's a technicality. We will have 24 points at the end of the season at this rate. I dont forsee where the meteoric change in our fortune will come from that can compensate for our first half of the season tally

12 hours ago, hogesar said:

Whichever way you look at it Wolves are a quality side.

Thats my point. Despite playing them off the park, and them playing like utter dog sh-ite, they were still too much for us. If we cant beat teams like that when they havent turned up and we are on our A-game, what hope do we have?

10 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Softcock alert...... glad the players haven't run up the white flag. Less than half way through the season and some of you have given up. 

I wouldn't want to be next to you in the trenches. 

Thankfully enjoying Norwich City and making love to my wife/trench warfare are different things...

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Thankfully enjoying Norwich City and making love to my wife/trench warfare are different things...

Fair enough, I just hope your wife doesn't give up on you as easily as you give up on Norwich. 

Norwich city are a side that could put on a run and confound the statistics. Similarly Norwich are a side that could easily capitulate and be steamrolled for the next few months.

What ever happens we need to play our strongest side every game, firstly to not undermine anyone in the squad, secondly we may need the financial support these player will return when sold and finally, just in case that Norwich side decide to turn up and start producing the goods.

53 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Norwich city are a side that could put on a run and confound the statistics.

Yes, we've proved we can compete and need a couple of decent results together to get back in the mix. It's starting to look as if there will be no basket case teams this season which is going to make for a heck of a competitive second half of the season for everyone in the league.

There’s a big difference in “giving up” or “being realistic with accepting relegation”.

Theres no doubt out of all three teams promoted we spent the least, have a young exciting squad and a manager who played the game the fluid technical way which on its day looks superb. Maybe with a bit of fortune and without injuries to our key CB we would have put a few more points on the board by now.

Unfortunately now Godfrey is injured we’re short on class at the back having to rely on Hanley for the time being.

That said it’s far better to accept the likelihood of relegation and enjoy each game for what it is than try to look at the table all the time. Like Taxes, Norwich relegation is inevitable!

The key to next seasons team will be holding onto our own youngsters and development of Idah and other youngsters to strengthen a very strong championship team.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

That said it’s far better to accept the likelihood of relegation and enjoy each game for what it is than try to look at the table all the time.

You can still enjoy each game for what it is regardless of the position in the league, so why is it better to accept the likelihood of relegation......or am I missing something? 

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Idah will be homegrown next season, I believe.

Makes him sound like  something off the allotment 

18 minutes ago, daly said:

Makes him sound like  something off the allotment 

Good call, I suggest that Colney should be henceforth known as 'The Allotment'.

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Try as you might to belittle my answers, because we have lost a few games this season, it does definitely not mean they will lose a % Of the games left to play. You simply cannot base future predictions on the past. What do you intend to say if city do stay up? What is your argument then?

4 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Try as you might to belittle my answers, because we have lost a few games this season, it does definitely not mean they will lose a % Of the games left to play. You simply cannot base future predictions on the past. What do you intend to say if city do stay up? What is your argument then?

Lost a few games ? Norwich have won 3 and lost 12 which points to one conclusion at this stage. If they stay up I’d be delighted by the way. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You can still enjoy each game for what it is regardless of the position in the league, so why is it better to accept the likelihood of relegation......or am I missing something? 

You can but most who appear to get frustrated and moan that we’re losing games against Wolves and United, but fail to appreciate the good standard we are playing against.

So resign yourselves to the inevitable and then just enjoy the football, it’s funny how the crowds of relegated teams towards the end of the season normally pick up the atmosphere and inevitably leads to some decent performances as the pressure is off. Well let’s just accept we’re going down and enjoy each game, up the atmosphere at home and put less pressure on the club and players on here, other forums or at the ground.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indy said:

You can but most who appear to get frustrated and moan that we’re losing games against Wolves and United, but fail to appreciate the good standard we are playing against.

So resign yourselves to the inevitable and then just enjoy the football, it’s funny how the crowds of relegated teams towards the end of the season normally pick up the atmosphere and inevitably leads to some decent performances as the pressure is off. Well let’s just accept we’re going down and enjoy each game, up the atmosphere at home and put less pressure on the club and players on here, other forums or at the ground.

Nope, still don't get it. Accepting the uncertainty and enjoying that is much better than accepting something that may not happen.

And what if we do stay up? Your whole premise of "accepting we are going down" will have been a fallacy.

Football is uncertain, surely people can understand that, especially after last season? 

Enjoy it for what it is, without putting some kind of label to it! 

On 24/12/2019 at 14:02, lake district canary said:

And what if we do stay up? Your whole premise of "accepting we are going down" will have been a fallacy

...but not anywhere near as nonsensical or lacking in reason, logic, evidence or basic common sense as someone predicting top 4.

On 24/12/2019 at 14:02, lake district canary said:

Enjoy it for what it is, without putting some kind of label to it! 

They're trying to Lakey - you just won't let them. 

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 3

Previous relegation battles have been laced with nastiness, bitterness, resentment, Delia out and general frustration. I dont want to get sucked into that this year. I dont want to start attacking the players, the manager or the club, which is inevitable when there is a perceived failure.

Im saying that I want to be progressive and change my perception of the gameplan. If we go down we wont have failed. We'll be where we are supposed to be following a financially sensible model designed to ensure the club has a long term future and doesnt do a Bolton or a Bury. Accepting the inevitable and making peace with it rather than operating under unrealistic expectations, and then getting angry when the inevitable happens is a way to move beyond the negativity that can be generated by a relegation battle.

Taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture is not defeatism. It is growth

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Indy said:

The key to next seasons team will be holding onto our own youngsters and development of Idah and other youngsters to strengthen a very strong championship team.

Not to be overlooked is the recruitment we did for the U23 squad this past Summer. We are restocking our pipeline already - the Ajax model.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Surfer said:

Not to be overlooked is the recruitment we did for the U23 squad this past Summer. We are restocking our pipeline already - the Ajax model.

This is the way we have to operate. Bring players in to bring them on. We end up with players we could never have bought, and make a profit doing so. Ultimately this should help our homegrown quota. The only thing that concerns me is that at CB, when we had massive injury problems, we didnt choose to give a youngster an opportunity, we played senior midfielders out of position. Not saying this was the wrong choice, just that it reveals that in this area at least, it isnt considered that there are youngsters ready to step up (unless they are all out on loan and not available).

I am a huge fan of the Bilbao system, so am all over any youth system that seeks to grow its own players, as Bilbao have to do

On 24/12/2019 at 23:02, The Great Mass Debater said:

On 24/12/2019 at 23:02, The Great Mass Debater said:

Previous relegation battles have been laced with nastiness, bitterness, resentment, Delia out and general frustration. I dont want to get sucked into that this year. I dont want to start attacking the players, the manager or the club, which is inevitable when there is a perceived failure.

Im saying that I want to be progressive and change my perception of the gameplan. If we go down we wont have failed. We'll be where we are supposed to be following a financially sensible model designed to ensure the club has a long term future and doesnt do a Bolton or a Bury. Accepting the inevitable and making peace with it rather than operating under unrealistic expectations, and then getting angry when the inevitable happens is a way to move beyond the negativity that can be generated by a relegation battle.

Taking a step back and seeing the bigger picture is not defeatism. It is growth

It is defeatism if it means this season has been written off already - and surely no one has to get sucked into nastiness, bitterness and resentment, whatever happens this season, if they don't want to? 

Surely the season can develop how it will, whether it means staying up or going down and the bigger picture can still be there whatever happens?  After all most of us  understand what the bigger picture is so whether we stay up or go down shouldn't make any difference to that. So why the need to say we are definitely going down? I just don't get it. 

OTBC

At the half way point we are rock bottom and have less points than defeats.

May as well start planning for next year, no animosity or defeatism needed, just a sense of reality that staying up would be a genuine footballing miracle now so plan for the likely event.

Well we're going to need to spend more money than we did this season. Seeing as we're likely to need to completely replace our golden generation of youth players.