Sign in to follow this  
daisy

January window.

17 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Yes that's a great way of destroying young players of the future. Let's put 'em straight in against some of the best players in world football. That'll help em.

Not at all.... Farke has a proven record of managing these lads into the team and with no expectation, no pressure, they can go in their and develop knowing it's for next season....   and your solution is exactly.... spend by any chance!   On who?    

Famewo and Idah would love a crack at this league.  

20 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not at all.... Farke has a proven record of managing these lads into the team and with no expectation, no pressure, they can go in their and develop knowing it's for next season....   and your solution is exactly.... spend by any chance!   On who?    

Famewo and Idah would love a crack at this league.  

I think people forget Farke will only use those players if he believes they are ready.

In his first season, he put an unfit Harrison Reed on the bench rather than a youth teamer he didn't deem ready.

This season he's preferred a 33-year-old defensive midfielder in central defence over a youth team player in position.

He isn't happy to just chuck young players in for the sake of it.

In terms of our 25-man squad, homegrown youth players (Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Cantwell, Idah) don't count. Therefore, our squad currently consists of the following (homegrown players in bold):

Krul, Fahrmann, McGovern
Byram, Zimmermann, Klose, Heise, Hanley
Amadou, Vrancic, Trybull, Buendia, Hernandez, McLean, Stiepermann, Leitner, Tettey, Thompson
Pukki, Drmic, Srbeny, Roberts

So that's 22 named players in our squad, but more importantly we have our full complement of 18 non-homegrown players.

One would expect Heise to be removed from the squad irrespective of whether we can find him a new club in January. It also remains to be seen whether Leitner's 'issues' are terminal, whether Fahrmann is recalled, and whether we leave Klose in the squad. However, one thing is for sure: we can't bring in any more non-homegrown players without removing them first.

I'd expect Fahrmann to stay, and I'd expect us to leave Klose's space open for him. Assuming that Leitner's issues are temporary, I think Heise is the only one who's definitely going to be excluded from that squad (aside from Thompson, of course, who was named in the original squad but then loaned out in October).

I reckon we need a CB, a LB (assuming Heise does leave) and a winger as a matter of necessity (unless Roberts somehow comes good and becomes that winger). Another striker would also be good if we can secure one at a reasonable price (or a loan).

• Like 1

I would also like to see Roberts's loan terminated with someone else who can contribute to the first team XI.

• Like 2

I would remove negotiate a return for Roberts and look to loan Heise out.   If need be I would also remove Klose from the list.   The Leitner situation is curious and if he hasnt made at least the bench by Jan would assume his ncfc career is done and look to loan him out too.  This would free up some space for changes as needed.

I am expecting 2 maybe 3 players to come in to help the first team. I can see loans being the way ahead.      a CB is a must, at least as cover given the recurrent injuries and probability of a suspension.  The rest is around adding some physicality and aerial prowess,  in descending order at fullback, attacking central mid, striker & defensive mid.  

3 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m starting to think we may not see an incoming CB this window. And there may be a reasonable argument why not having read what Farke’s apparently said.

As it stands, by the time we can get someone integrated and into the side (if needs be), it’s going to be mid January at the earliest if signed on Jan 1st. You’re looking at a 2 week break between games in mid Jan anyway. Ben will likely be not far away when the break is over. Now add to that that Timm is already back outside on the training pitch building himself up, that suggests we could see him at some point in February but I doubt the club will admit that and raise unnecessary pressure and expectations. So it maybe deemed that a CB is not needed (although I’d still like to see us have a 5th option personally). 

There are 8 league games between now and mid-February when we can realistically expect Godfrey and/or Klose back.  Hanley and Zimmermann have been out for a long time, so its unrealistic to expect them to play all those games without back up (and not Amadou / Tettey as stand-ins).  We simply must sign a centre back who can improve how we defend.

We needed a new cb before the season started, it’s not a ‘new’ issue; the injuries have just exacerbated the situation but even when all the guys are fit we still have the same defence that shipped 58 goals in the Championship.  Quite how or why anyone thought we’d fare any better this season in a higher league with the same tactics and personnel beggars belief.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We needed a new cb before the season started, it’s not a ‘new’ issue; the injuries have just exacerbated the situation but even when all the guys are fit we still have the same defence that shipped 58 goals in the Championship.  Quite how or why anyone thought we’d fare any better this season in a higher league with the same tactics and personnel beggars belief.

I do agree, but at the start of the season we had Klose, Hanley, Godfrey and Zimmermann as our 4 CBs, and unless we's signed another top quality one, they were always going to be given the opportunity to play - and many of us thought they were good enough, despite the 58 goals conceded.  Personally, I think Klose and Godfrey would have been our 'best' pairing, but I don't recall them playing as a pair at all this season and injuries to all of them have destroyed any consistency in that area.  But yes, I take your point that it is/was an area that needs/needed improving.

Keep the cash in the bank. Dispose of any realisable player assets. That may help stave off administration by a season or two. Alternatively, seek new owners with sufficient capital to facilitate a vaguely competitive PL team.

10 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Keep the cash in the bank. Dispose of any realisable player assets. That may help stave off administration by a season or two. Alternatively, seek new owners with sufficient capital to facilitate a vaguely competitive PL team.

Don’t be ridiculous. Why try and progress to the next level when you have our ownership in place  and heirs to the throne lined up.

47 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

He's back! (Apologies if you're a she, HC).

Is this a sign of how bad things have become? Like a prophecy, the return of Highland Canary can only be a harbinger of doom?

P.S. Why isn't a team that can beat Man City, draw away at Leicester and rarely lose by more than one goal "vaguely competitive"?

Buying players for the future I.e. 18 year olds who can play U23s now is more likely than us paying the going rate for a first team player plus wages. 

We are best placed to buy players who could be Prem quality if we are in the Championship. A panic buy now means we’ll get rinsed on a fee and contract.

This guy at Willem looks very good or Bowen but we won’t pay the money for the latter. 

A loan is our other option. I’d like to see Buendia in the 10 role so a wide player would be ideal.

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Bowen is an excellent but Norwich are far too tight to spend 15 M on one player. 

We will offer 1.5m get knocked back and say ah we tried our best 🤔😂

I suspect that the best option for us would be an experienced centre back on loan. Possibly one that is nearing the end of his contract/ surplus to requirements and wants to go "in the shop window."

Experience + motivation to play well + no ongoing contractual risk. Anybody know of someone that fits the bill?

17 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

He's back! (Apologies if you're a she, HC).

Is this a sign of how bad things have become? Like a prophecy, the return of Highland Canary can only be a harbinger of doom?

P.S. Why isn't a team that can beat Man City, draw away at Leicester and rarely lose by more than one goal "vaguely competitive"?

And this time it is Highland Canary in a double act with Midlands Canary so we are totally spoiled for miserabilism...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

And this time it is Highland Canary in a double act with Midlands Canary so we are totally spoiled for miserabilism...

Calling Pete,  calling Pete, last call for Pete. Flashmob Eyeore Convention now taking place on Pinkun message board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/12/2019 at 10:56, king canary said:

I think people forget Farke will only use those players if he believes they are ready.

In his first season, he put an unfit Harrison Reed on the bench rather than a youth teamer he didn't deem ready.

This season he's preferred a 33-year-old defensive midfielder in central defence over a youth team player in position.

He isn't happy to just chuck young players in for the sake of it.

However, we have never been in a situation where 'all is lost' and we have 14 of so games to prepare for a Championship campaign.    Hopefully we can get them 6-9 points in the next few games otherwise, let's prepare for next season.   

No point playing the likes of Hanley, Steipermann, Srbeny, even Tettey or Amadou if we are definitely going down as we will need to look to strengthen the side for what hopefully will be the next go at the EPL.....

Still hopeful we will be able to get out of this situation though.  

Tweet from Paddy from the Farke press conference.

"#ncfc DF: 'we have lots of competition everywhere but centre back. To bring in a player who can improve us costs 
£10m. We can't spend that.'"

I might be being stupid but I simply don't understand how this is apparently beyond us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, king canary said:

"#ncfc DF: 'we have lots of competition everywhere but centre back. To bring in a player who can improve us costs 

I might be being stupid but I simply don't understand how this is apparently beyond us.

If you are questioning the ' model ' kc i suggest you put your tin hat on. Mind you a Premiership club with a projected income well in excess of £100 million for this season having shed all of our baggage does beg the question why we cannot pay out £10 million in an attempt to solve a problem area that has existed all season.

56 minutes ago, king canary said:

In the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies "Well he would (deny it), wouldn't he"

On the question of his timing of subs, Daniel said:

'If I was a fan I would probably ask the same questions. Listen it doesn't annoy me. It is the life or a coach when u lose a game.'

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We could afford to pay £10m, just of itself, for a player. It does seem we genuinely offered more than that for the Rennes attacking midfielder who ended up going to Nice.

I suspect Farke's point is more that many of the players who would cost that and who would be able to go straight into the starting eleven would drive a harder bargain on wages, and any possible relegation wage-lowering clause, and on the length of contract, than we could afford. And especially in January.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I took this as purely tactical from Farke? I'm sure they definitely have £10m to spend but you're not going to broadcast to potential selling clubs how much you've actually got to spend are you.

Yep, loads of coaches declare that theyve got shoiteloads of cash to splash out on players, its a very good strategy if you want to get the best price😕. I think its a good idea to play down expectations, there's too much hyperbole surrounding transfers as is.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

If you are questioning the ' model ' kc i suggest you put your tin hat on. Mind you a Premiership club with a projected income well in excess of £100 million for this season having shed all of our baggage does beg the question why we cannot pay out £10 million in an attempt to solve a problem area that has existed all season.

Are there any Bury players who haven’t found new clubs yet available? Must have been a few decent ones following their promotion. Wages wouldn’t be an issue and no nasty transfer fees to pay. 

We need a complete spine cb, cm and striker.

Much has been said about the obv. need for forward and defense, but I believe that a quality centre mid who can win the ball and pass it forward is a must for our survival - maybe Joe Allen on end of season loan?

7 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Careful, he’ll accuse you of being Morty.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

I took this as purely tactical from Farke? I'm sure they definitely have £10m to spend but you're not going to broadcast to potential selling clubs how much you've actually got to spend are you.

Maybe, but given our lack of spending in the summer it seems very believable.

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

However, we have never been in a situation where 'all is lost' and we have 14 of so games to prepare for a Championship campaign.    Hopefully we can get them 6-9 points in the next few games otherwise, let's prepare for next season.   

No point playing the likes of Hanley, Steipermann, Srbeny, even Tettey or Amadou if we are definitely going down as we will need to look to strengthen the side for what hopefully will be the next go at the EPL.....

Still hopeful we will be able to get out of this situation though.  

I think the time he put Reed on the bench was when we were midtable in the championship and going nowhere.

I don't think he's going to throw a young player in without being certain they are ready.