Sign in to follow this  
daisy

January window.

So with the transfer window almost upon us and some fans thinking it`s going to be our saviour, realistically who would you bring in and who from the team that started yesterday would you drop. For me, yesterdays first half performance was the best I had seen for a long time, so I think it`s the bench we need to be looking at, for example a decent second striker and another out and out winger so we can change shape when we are chasing the game. The guys that started yesterday deserved a win, they just needed a little help a little earlier and that old fashioned piece of luck.

Agreed, although I would argue we need another CB so we only need to play one of Zimbo, Hanley and Godfrey.

Should’ve signed Rhodes the summer, relying on Dennis to try and save the match is not an option at this level. It wasn’t even an option last season to be fair! 

• Like 1

CB and a striker most importantly for me. Absolutely nobody to be dropped, no criticism of any current players - they were just knackered at 55mins! Very happy with what’s on the bench, they just didn’t really get used that’s all.

Striker, not because I don’t think Drmic has quality because I can see he’s a good player, just he seems injury prone and I’m also fearing something will happen to Teemu - he would have had a hat trick all day long yesterday if he wasn’t playing in discomfort I’m sure. I like Srbeny actually but I still think we need another option there, just in case.

CB. 110%. Nothing wrong with Hanley’s performance yesterday, but we need to be able to stop worrying once and for all about further injuries in that wretched position this season.

LB or RB possibly. Only got Lewis, Byram and Aarons. Heise I’m certain will be off in January. We will need to replace him. 3 will not be enough.

And if Ralf or Patrick have their loan spells terminated early, replacements needed there, more so Ralf. Just an ‘if’ though.

Centre back, winger to replace Roberts striker to replace Srbeny as the sub option. Note we will probably have to create space(s) in the 25 man squad or are we below headcount? 

We'll also need to replace any outgoing players, we can't count that out despite the 'no need to sell' statement, if the price is right (silly) can't see us turning it down. 

23 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Centre back, winger to replace Roberts striker to replace Srbeny as the sub option. Note we will probably have to create space(s) in the 25 man squad or are we below headcount? 

We'll also need to replace any outgoing players, we can't count that out despite the 'no need to sell' statement, if the price is right (silly) can't see us turning it down. 

Not sure. I think we have a space or two available but that we are full up as far as overseas players go, so if we wanted one of those we would have to offload one.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully lessons will have been learnt from the atrocious Summer window. I’m not holding my breath though. 

6 minutes ago, JF said:

Hopefully lessons will have been learnt from the atrocious Summer window. I’m not holding my breath though. 

Oh, go on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If we dont get at least 6 points by Crystal Palace, may as well prepare for the Championship.... in which case time to bring Famewo and Idah into the squad and give them time.... Famewo straight in with Zimmermann and Idah as a sub....we need a potential Premier League DM and forward but probably best to get these in the summer....

If we get 6 or more points, a CB and DM would be the priorities surely as what we have aren't up to getting us enough EPL points.

Apart from the obvious need for a centre back, I would probably say that we need a number 10 who has more of a goal threat. Stiepermann hasn't had quite the same effect this season and, whilst McLean is doing fairly well, I doubt that many people were expecting to see him quite so many games there at the beginning of the season.

It could be a tricky player to find though - a technical player who can assist/score goals, whilst having the physical presence required to support Pukki/challenge for long balls.

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If we dont get at least 6 points by Crystal Palace, may as well prepare for the Championship.... in which case time to bring Famewo and Idah into the squad and give them time.... Famewo straight in with Zimmermann and Idah as a sub....we need a potential Premier League DM and forward but probably best to get these in the summer....

If we get 6 or more points, a CB and DM would be the priorities surely as what we have aren't up to getting us enough EPL points.

Yes that's a great way of destroying young players of the future. Let's put 'em straight in against some of the best players in world football. That'll help em.

Obviously a centre back is the priority, and I'd also like a winger to replace Roberts- ideally one who can also cover for- or play with- Pukki. That would give us another option to compete with Drmic if Pukki gets injured, and also another option if we're chasing a game.

The problem is that we're at our limit of non-homegrown players, so we'd have to either sign homegrown players only, let someone (Srbeny? Heise?) go or unregister Klose as he won't be back until the very end of the season anyway.

I think the reality is we’re resigned to build on the premise of relegation. I can’t see three major outlays on players who will command premiership salaries, if we do it’ll likely be loan.

More likely as this weekend will aloud we’re not being outclassed by many teams, we’re holding our own, just short on taking our chances to kill the game.

So likely to see very minor changes in staff this window, we might invest in younger promising players who will be looked at good enough to get us up next season, than keep us up this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Obviously a centre back is the priority, and I'd also like a winger to replace Roberts- ideally one who can also cover for- or play with- Pukki. That would give us another option to compete with Drmic if Pukki gets injured, and also another option if we're chasing a game.

The problem is that we're at our limit of non-homegrown players, so we'd have to either sign homegrown players only, let someone (Srbeny? Heise?) go or unregister Klose as he won't be back until the very end of the season anyway.

It sounds like Klose could possibly be back anytime from late February so still 2/3 months of the season left for him to play potentially, fingers crossed.

Would be excellently ironic if he came back and played the last 10 games of the season helping ensure our survival, after we suffered the exact reverse situation a few years back!

Probably not a popular opinion but I don't think they should be spending big on anybody; that ship sailed in the summer I'm afraid.

If we start panic buying over-priced players in January, then how exactly is this season going to be any different to our previous recent excursions to the top flight?  Sort it out in the Summer or plan to go down in the Spring. 

If any younger players for the future appear on the radar at a good price, then by all means snap them up.

OTBC

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

17 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Probably not a popular opinion but I don't think they should be spending big on anybody; that ship sailed in the summer I'm afraid.

If we start panic buying over-priced players in January, then how exactly is this season going to be any different to our previous recent excursions to the top flight?  Sort it out in the Summer or plan to go down in the Spring. 

If any younger players for the future appear on the radar at a good price, then by all means snap them up.

OTBC

I think a solution to both of these problems would be Jarrod Bowen. Jed command a big fee, more than likely our club record, and there'd be some competition but he'd have the quality to improve us now, be a great player in the Championship should we go down and also have resale value.

It just depends how much we want to spend and who else wants Bowen.

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think a solution to both of these problems would be Jarrod Bowen. Jed command a big fee, more than likely our club record, and there'd be some competition but he'd have the quality to improve us now, be a great player in the Championship should we go down and also have resale value.

It just depends how much we want to spend and who else wants Bowen.

You’ve not considered Bowen wanting to come here, would he really leave Hull to play 4 months of premiership football to go back into the championship? That’s how he and his agent might see it!

47 minutes ago, Indy said:

You’ve not considered Bowen wanting to come here, would he really leave Hull to play 4 months of premiership football to go back into the championship? That’s how he and his agent might see it!

Like I said, it depends who else is interested. If there isn't another club prepared to meet the asking price then he'd surely rather come here than stay at Hull. 

There are many factors involved but he's someone I wouldn't mind seeing us push the boat out a bit for.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

16 minutes ago, Indy said:

Realistically Bowen has 18 months of his contract left (Hull have an option to extend it to 2021) and it's pretty clear he's not signing a new one, and that Hull are unlikely to get into the playoffs.

So he'll either leave in this window or in the summer, but it's debatable if it's to us, or say a Newcastle.

Shane Duffy from Brighton would be a good defensive option. Lost his place this season but a good player and a viable option if the price was right. Agree that Jordan Rhodes would also be a good buy, happy to be at the club, a team player and can score goals. Finally Jarrod Bowen, break the bank to get him - quality player.

21 minutes ago, Let the wookiee win said:

Shane Duffy from Brighton would be a good defensive option. Lost his place this season but a good player and a viable option if the price was right. Agree that Jordan Rhodes would also be a good buy, happy to be at the club, a team player and can score goals. Finally Jarrod Bowen, break the bank to get him - quality player.

Duffy is a great shout in terms of someone who's experienced enough to come in and do a job right away, young enough to have value for the future, reasonably proven at both Championship and Premier League level and also homegrown.

But would Brighton be prepared to let him go, and especially to a relegation rival? I get the impression that they'd hold out for a ridiculous fee from us.

10 hours ago, daisy said:

So with the transfer window almost upon us and some fans thinking it`s going to be our saviour, realistically who would you bring in and who from the team that started yesterday would you drop. For me, yesterdays first half performance was the best I had seen for a long time, so I think it`s the bench we need to be looking at, for example a decent second striker and another out and out winger so we can change shape when we are chasing the game. The guys that started yesterday deserved a win, they just needed a little help a little earlier and that old fashioned piece of luck.

We will sign absolutely nobody. We had a summer window and got byram for 750k. Delia doesn't cook anymore so no books to sell, she's tightening the purse strings. If that's possible đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

I think we will do some business but the reality is that we have to ensure we get enough quality homegrown players through the door to cover the potential loss of any of our current sellable assets. 

I also think, impossible as it will be that we need to be taking a big step to bringing in a Pukki replacement. The bloke is class and capable at premier level and at 29/30 it’s highly likely he will want to stay there. In terms of the self funding model it’s ideal, sign someone for nothing, sell him for £15-25m and bring in the next option. Other than that it will be silly offers for our young players which other than Buendia are all homegrown. 

how many homegrown do we need in a match day squad in the championship again? One obvious answer is a good English back up keeper. 

I also think if we do go down (let’s hope we don’t) we will definitely need to find another central midfielder and or number 10. Tettey won’t go on for ever and whilst Vrancic, Trybull, McClean, leitner and stiepi were class last year we will need to have one on in trying to get back up and consider what our midfield could be like next time. I won’t be surprised (if we can find one) to bring in a couple of slightly more physical players with that in mind. 

Another CB is a must, regardless of the fact Klose maybe back earlier than expected. Another striker is also a priority, as if Pukki gets injured we're also screwed. These are two critical signings in my eyes if they are not addressed it is pure incompetence.

Good suggestion in Duffy. Someone experienced available on the cheap would be good - aka. the norwich way đŸ˜‰

12 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

We will sign absolutely nobody. We had a summer window and got byram for 750k. Delia doesn't cook anymore so no books to sell, she's tightening the purse strings. If that's possible đŸ˜‚đŸ˜‚

We have money. Just whether we spend it or not will be dependent on how we're looking.

I don't like to admit it, but it's entirely possible Webber, Farke et al will just not spend anything at all. The noises coming from that side seem to be "we'll only do something if we think it'll improve the first team. However, that type of player would be very expensive".

It's neither here nor there. Very non-committal.

Webber doesn't seem to be a fan of the Jan transfer window but if they don't get someone in this time around I think the fans will start to get even more annoyed than some already are. I can see us doing some business, but I'm thinking it'll be a not very exciting loan type of affair.

Edited by BobLoz3

I’m starting to think we may not see an incoming CB this window. And there may be a reasonable argument why not having read what Farke’s apparently said.

As it stands, by the time we can get someone integrated and into the side (if needs be), it’s going to be mid January at the earliest if signed on Jan 1st. You’re looking at a 2 week break between games in mid Jan anyway. Ben will likely be not far away when the break is over. Now add to that that Timm is already back outside on the training pitch building himself up, that suggests we could see him at some point in February but I doubt the club will admit that and raise unnecessary pressure and expectations. So it maybe deemed that a CB is not needed (although I’d still like to see us have a 5th option personally). 

I'd be looking at adding a few British players from Championship teams who would fancy at least 6 months Premier League football and give us a crack at going straight back up if we do go down.

To that end I'd be tempted to try for players like

• Jarrod Bowen
  • Matt Grimes
  • Joe Worrall