Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Aston Villa pre match thread

I think Norwich will turn them over quite comfortably as their confidence is even more fragile than our own.

It’s now or never time to go on a run and have any chance of attracting a bit of quality when the window opens.

It would be a good one to win for sure, not because of attracting quality, as we can do that because we are an attractive club anyway - but because we need to get points.

Edited by lake district canary

If we’re cut adrift when the window opens it’s going to severely limit any potential quality signings. The club just won’t spend in that scenario and everyone know it. 

On recent form it does look as though an away win is on the cards and I think we'll get it. Lose and the players will have a job to haul themselves back mentally.

I suspect the January deals are already pencilled in and it's a case of waiting for the window to open.

McGinn is injured too, so that’s a bonus.Be nice to get revenge after that 5-1 mauling. 

Mings   and McGinn have been excellent for Villa  this season,  just need Grealish to stub his toe on his marble bathtub  tomorrow . 

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

On recent form it does look as though an away win is on the cards and I think we'll get it. Lose and the players will have a job to haul themselves back mentally.

I suspect the January deals are already pencilled in and it's a case of waiting for the window to open.

That will be the case of other clubs watching our players too. Can't help thinking this is a must win game, not just for the sake of our survival, but also to attract Premier League quality players to our club.

Villa's injuries are a bonus but we need Pukki 100%. A fully fit Teemu would have buried at least one of the hat full of chances he had yesterday.

I'd play Hernandez too.

37 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

That will be the case of other clubs watching our players too. Can't help thinking this is a must win game, not just for the sake of our survival, but also to attract Premier League quality players to our club.

Villa's injuries are a bonus but we need Pukki 100%. A fully fit Teemu would have buried at least one of the hat full of chances he had yesterday.

I'd play Hernandez too.

Spot on with both aspects. Teemu looked slightly off his usual pace and I thought Hernandez should have (of the 3 subs) come on earlier.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Mings   and McGinn have been excellent for Villa  this season,  just need Grealish to stub his toe on his marble bathtub  tomorrow . 

There’s also an excellent chance of young Jack slipping over on Brylcream too 🙏

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

There’s also an excellent chance of young Jack slipping over on Brylcream too 🙏

Concussion  and a stubbed toe is fine by me.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

It would be a good one to win for sure,

It would be a good one to win?

Jesus you make it sound as though everything is fine and we're doing ok.

When you've only won one game out of the last 13 and when you need to win at least 9 games out of the 20 games left then surely every game game is a must one to win.

I'm amazed that LDC appears to imply that we are at a stage when we can simply pick & choose which games are good to win and which aren't.

Of course if that was the case then we should have picked games like Watford, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Southampton (the list is almost endless) to win.

We really are running out of choices as to which games would be good ones to win and we need to start winning now no matter who we are playing.

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

It would be a good one to win?  Jesus you make it sound as though everything is fine and we're doing ok.

They are all good ones to win and we don't "pick and choose" them.....the next match coming up is always a good one to win. We are not far off from being a strong outfit at this level - and the players are starting to find their feet. Yes, goals against is an issue - it always will be at this level - but if we can get the likes of Emi/Stiepermann/Vrancic/Hernandez etc a bit more on the goal trail, we will start to make inroads into this league.  Pukki is great and will score, but he can't do it on his own. At least Cantwell is scoring a bit too, but we need others to find their range a bit more.

• Haha 1

Don't know what you're laughing at MP,  so you don't think we're capable?  That is a shame. To my mind the season is starting to get interesting with the way we are performing - we are so close to being right there and yesterday would have been a great boost to that...but it wasn't to be. So we move on, playing the same way and hoping to get more goals next time so as the opposition don't get a sniff like they did yesterday.

3 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Staggering!!!   The struggles we've had, the points we've thrown away this season and most on this thread think all we have to do is turn up!  

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Villa aren't playing well but our results have been very poor too, so to go there and win will still be a difficult thing to achieve. Expecting a win, especially "quite comfortably', is a bit naive.

• Like 1

If we can drag them down, should we be relegated than I’ve read on here they’re in potential trouble for breaking FFP rules aren’t they?

So a win would not only boost our slim chances of survival but might long term aid our swift return by relegating a team which would suffer worse relegation than us.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Villa aren't playing well but our results have been very poor too, so to go there and win will still be a difficult thing to achieve. Expecting a win, especially "quite comfortably', is a bit naive.

This. How anyone can say the game at Villa is going to be relatively easy is seriously deluding themselves. They will be desperate for a win as much as we will be, full house on Boxing Day and our atrocious record there (last seasons end of season game win apart) suggests it will be just a tough a game as any other in this league. 

No one knows for sure what will happen in any match played but at the same time there’s nothing wrong having a gut feeling and predicting a result. 3.1 Norwich. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

No one knows for sure what will happen in any match played but at the same time there’s nothing wrong having a gut feeling and predicting a result. 3.1 Norwich. 

I do hope you're right Midlands. Have to admit I'm feeling pretty grim about our situation tonight. We can't seem to buy a win against anyone, let alone our relegation rivals. If we lose to Villa... 😥

OTBC

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There's nothing wrong with a gut feeling and there's nothing wrong with predicting a result. 

But 'expecting a win' and to do so 'quite comfortably' is a little bit foolhardy given our predicament right now.

8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

There's nothing wrong with a gut feeling and there's nothing wrong with predicting a result. 

But 'expecting a win' and to do so 'quite comfortably' is a little bit foolhardy given our predicament right now.

I get you and I’d expect the worst against any other team away but these are there for the taking. Villa’s confidence must be at a seasons low and they’ve got 2 of their better players out.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I get you and I’d expect the worst against any other team away but these are there for the taking. Villa’s confidence must be at a seasons low and they’ve got 2 of their better players out.

Villa will be saying exactly the same thing about us though (except only one of our better players is out).

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Villa will be saying exactly the same thing about us though (except only one of our better players is out).

Have a peep on the main Villa message board. A lot forecasting a Norwich win.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Don't know what you're laughing at MP,  so you don't think we're capable?  That is a shame. To my mind the season is starting to get interesting with the way we are performing - we are so close to being right there and yesterday would have been a great boost to that...but it wasn't to be. So we move on, playing the same way and hoping to get more goals next time so as the opposition don't get a sniff like they did yesterday.

Yes, we are capable of winning, and beating anyone, but only in the odd game of 10.

Trouble is every time I start to believe that we could possibly pull off a miracle and survive, Farke and the players always manage to a find a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Yes I agree, we were close to being right there yesterday but in the end we were easily brushed aside by a bang average team who in all honesty didn't have to do that much to get the 3 points.

They just waited for the now obligatory gift to arrive and boom, we're done.

And even though that happens game after game and week after week you still think that we are performing well.