Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

Stewart Webber in Gunn club

1 hour ago, Hillhead said:

According to a friend who was there he commented that the atmosphere died out second half but never said the fans were poor. But it seems the lie has had its intended effect.

If that's what he said then that's a fair comment but the atmosphere in the stands reflects the performance on the pitch, not the other way around.

16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The thing is though, spending money in January is a big u-turn isn't it? An admission that he was wrong, and will instantly draw parallels with the Worthington season when we ultimately opened up the purse strings too late and Ashton wasn't quite enough to keep us up.

By continuing this hardline approach to going with what we have got he keeps on side this band of fans that buy into 'the model' and are convinced that we don't have any money. 

Spend money now and and the entire basis of their support collapses, after months of saying that £750k was our biggest outlay on a permanent player because we are broke. By spending £15m-£20m now, that excuse is no longer valid, and he opens himself up to criticism for failing to land targets in the summer. 

His reputation may be left more intact by just loaning a centre back and going down as a wealthy Championship club.

The group of posters on here who were arguing that we should have spent money in the summer was drown out by a much more vocal group of supporters of 'the model' who claimed we had no money. Does their argument hold water if we go and drop £15m-£20m in January, which has traditionally been a window where you get less value for money in the market? 

Or would that actually undermine their argument, and thus Webber's loyal support? 

No. It will only be a u-turn if the money is spent on expensive acquisitions aimed purely at keeping us up who will be a colossal financial weight if we get relegated. If the signings are dual-purpose - ie they make sense whether we stay up or go down - then they will be in line with the strategy as frequently explained.

Don’t mind what Stuart has said one bit. I’ve been a bit quiet at the games I’ve attended so far this season, and could definitely have done more as an individual supporter, can’t speak for others but from my point of view he’s been right. So would hold my hands up there, not offended or gone full on snowflake by what he’s said at all partly because I don’t get offended easily but mainly because he’s right in my eyes. I’ll be in the minority of 1 here, but love his honesty, very refreshing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hillhead said:In hindsight yes we clearly would have benefited from a player or two from August but there really wasn't many on this forum who were saying so at the time and if you do go back to that timeline you'll see that some of the biggest critics today (OP included) were more than happy with he business done at the time. It could also be said that maybe the right players were not available at the time and we could see where we are at in January to improve on the positions most in need then.

This is very true. I can’t remember anyone grumbling about it at the time, and if they were, it was most certainly a tiny minority. Nevermind, it is what it is, and we have an opportunity to address matters in a week or so. I would expect us to go down the loan route regarding transfers until we’re sure where we’re plying our trade next season though, I can’t see many if any permanent transfers coming in, but I don’t mind that, to be honest, right now I’d rather we get better fringe players from Spain and Germany’s respective top leagues etc who see a good opportunity to earn a contract for a 2020/21 NCFC Premier League side.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

So when we went 2-1 down you would have kept the same 11 on ? Some of you on here are getting obsessed with the timing of our subs like we would have won comfortably if he’d have made them earlier. For all we know making earlier subs could have made us worse, let’s be honest, none of Onel, Srbeny or Vrancic Made any difference 

Probably because they came on far too late in the game, they had 10 minutes (including stoppage time) to make an impact, half that time will be getting into the game, assuming of course they get to see the ball in that time, Onel did not get a touch until time added on, absolute madness to leave it so late.........

• Like 1

I'm quite surprised that people seem to be turning on Webber. He should be praised for what he has achieved here and he deserves a bit more trust/patience/faith than what I'm reading on here. 

Jumping ship as soon as we get relegated? Based on what?

I wasn't there but I'm sure his comments weren't intended as some have interpreted them. After the Man City win, he spoke of how much of an advantage that kind of an atmosphere is to the team. I guess he's just trying to encourage the fans to up it a bit.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We purchased Timm Klose in January and he had an immediate impact on our season. Unfortunately he became injured and we were relegated however, he was in my opinion an inspired signing at the time and we looked likely to avoid the drop.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Measured and sensible as always

looking for 2 in January if can get the quality

also fans weren’t good enough second half and you have to agree with him

felt zonal marking wasn’t the issue on the first goal rather than a player not doing his job

still have confidence in him 

What Stuart Webber has to say is but **** wind winking and blinking in the bath tub of the universe.........

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

ie they make sense whether we stay up or go down - then they will be in line with the strategy as frequently explained

You can explain as many times as you like Purpleo, some people just cannot/ will not  accept that this is how we are doing things  nowadays.  

48 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

You can explain as many times as you like Purpleo, some people just cannot/ will not  accept that this is how we are doing things  nowadays.  

Apologies for the tangent, but is that pronounced Purp-leo or Purple-o?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We all have our roles here, and mine is to be annoyingly pedantic.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Herman said:

Apologies for the tangent, but is that pronounced Purp-leo or Purple-o?

To fit with Purpleo's pedantry, itis neither, phonetically its Purrr~plo. According to 1916 edition of Paddy Powers dictionary of Famous Internet Pedants, so it must be true.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

To fit with Purpleo's pedantry, itis neither, phonetically its Purrr~plo. According to 1916 edition of Paddy Powers dictionary of Famous Internet Pedants, so it must be true.

Channelling Sidney Poitier, 'They call me MISTER Purple...'

6 hours ago, Herman said:

I couldn't hear what he was saying as I had some guts scoffing food, loudly and constantly, behind me. Might as well have used a friggin shovel.......

Your lucky he didn’t let one go, like a dead skunk

• Haha 1

It doesn't matter which way the pointy finger points, we have a very public weakness from corners and FKs and it needs addressing if we have any pride. 

The screenshot included shows how calamitous we are from set pieces. Two players marking the short, 5 + Krul swamping the near post/ centre (two Wolves players) and Byram with 3 at the back post; you wouldn't even get away with it on a Sunday morning.

Screenshot_20191222-134617_YouTube.jpg

51 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Then you'd sound proper Norfolk ,Eduardoo.

Like a real canary caller rather than a mockney 🙃

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

You're absolutely correct and this relentless  library of 'soft / preventable'  goals from these situations has been going on for over 12 months now. Farke has been exposed as either ignorant of the problem or not able to deal with it. In so doing it confirms (in my view) an essential flaw in his management style that should stop him being lauded as 'God' by the vast majority of Norwich fans.

His priority is possession football and working nice little intricate patterns all over the field. When it comes off (first half yesterday) it looks sublime and we are almost unplayable. However, once the opposition manager gets to grips with us they invariably change their style / tactics / emphasis and destroy us. Farke, meanwhile, continues in his stubborn philosophy and only considers changing things round when the scoreline shows we're losing even though it's been obvious for a long time before hand that changes should be made.      

Fans who think 'Daniel will sort it out' or 'we need to buy players' are missing the point. Farke's stubbornness in having no Plan B  and being obsessed with 'playing it out from the back' will not change. It's in his DNA.

I don't disagree that we could be better organised defensively, especially at set pieces, but there are some different issues being confused here. You can play the ball around at the back, to put it crudely, and still defend better than we do at set pieces. That Wolves equaliser that is being highlighted was all to do with the latter and nothing to do with the former.

And the problem with what broadly one could call second-half performances, such as yesterday, is not that Farke doesn't change the style of play but that he makes substitutions too late. Again, in crude terms, we started being overrun because some players were running out of steam. And probably that Wolves started to play as they can. The first half was absurdly one-sided and that was bound to change.

Is Farke wary of making changes and sometimes out-thought? I would be surprised if not. The only serious job (defined as head coach or manager of a top- or near top-flight club) he has had is with us. The Wolves head coach has racked up more than 300 games with Rio Ave, Valencia, Porto and Wolves. Many other PL managers/head coaches have records even more impressive than that.

Farke made 2 substitutions at half time only a few weeks ago at Southampton, and he’s also made others around the 60th minute mark this season, think people are getting carried away suggesting he leaves it to the last 5 minutes every week.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Farke made 2 substitutions at half time only a few weeks ago at Southampton, and he’s also made others around the 60th minute mark this season, think people are getting carried away suggesting he leaves it to the last 5 minutes every week.

Fair point. I get to see only a few games and yesterday, which was one of them, seemed a clear example of leaving it too late.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Fair point. I get to see only a few games and yesterday, which was one of them, seemed a clear example of leaving it too late.

I agree it was too late in this instance, but I say that with the benefit of hindsight knowing that those that were replaced didn’t make the difference, when on another day, they may have.

Definitely way too much being made of Farke’s general timing of substitutions. It’s like one person says it on here, and then it’s taken as gospel. ’d say he’s on par with most managers, nothing unusual at all.

Who makes a double substitution at half time till say the 50th minute week in week out? Nobody, because you’re screwed if a player has to come off injured/sent off soon after. 

I don;t think Farke's half time changes at Southampton should be taken as evidence that he is pro-active with his subs. They were reactive and they were a reaction to an utterly abject half and a team selection/set up that he himself got wrong.

The thing with Farke (and this has been evidence throughout his reign) is that you can see that he does not like to make subs if the team is winning or drawing. I assume his rationale for this is that if the team is functioning ok he does not want to disrupt it by making changes. We saw this a lot in the championship where players who were on the bench got a handful of minutes right at the end of games if they were lucky. We lost very few games once we got going last season and so this never really became an issue.

However, this season for me the lack of use of subs (and linked to that use of the squad although I accept that opportunities have been limited by injuries) is costing us points. This is not just in situations like Saturday where it was absolutely, blatantly obvious that some of our players were running out of steam and that Wolves were getting on top well before they got that second goal and we needed fresh legs. But its also an issue in the way that some of our players run themselves into the ground in games and then we see a dip in performance in subsequent matches. I really felt that was the case with the Arsenal and Southampton games. Several of our players (e.g. Cantwell, Mclean and Amadou) put in a hell of a shift against Arsenal and there was just nothing in the tank from those players against Southampton a few days later. I really do feel its an area he could improve on.

We had Lewis and Amadou on the bench on Saturday. Really good options for some fresh legs in the second half once Trybull and Tettey began to tire. Lewis probably also would have been able to keep up better with Traore. It was crying out for subs from the moment they equalised if not before and I think Farke has to take responsibility for the way we lost that game, just as I think he has to take some blame for the way we came out second half against Shef U.

This is not a Farke out post. We played some great stuff at times on Saturday which reminds us what a good coach he is in many ways. Its not his fault Pukki missed three sitters or that we got that bad luck with the Tettey shot off the post. But I can;t say i'm not a little bit disappointed with what Farke has produced so far this season, This level is a lot about fine margins and marginal gains and it seems to me that we haven't really benefitted from any (e.g. we don;t score from set pieces much and we concede loads from them, we don;t change games with subs) so far this season and I fear that will cost us. 

• Like 2

We should feel fortunate that we have Webber and Farke in my opinion.

Got us promoted, arguably saved the club from going into administration... etc. They've never hidden the fact we'll be a selling club under their rule and they've done this by taking our young players, giving them a chance, improving them etc. We now have saleable assets regardless of what happens and you couldn't say that a few years back. All without spending big and promoting from within for the most part.

As I've said a bunch of times before, we were all behind this model when things were going well. Now that it isn't, we suddenly need to start spending loads of cash and perhaps consider changing the regime? I don't get it.

Farke and Webber will both be here for a couple of seasons yet and I'm sure they could do with our support. They won't be going anywhere if we do go down (still time for things to change, mind) and I'd back them to repeat the trick if we end up in the Championship again.

The way some people go on you'd think they'd rather be in that league anyway. Personally, I find it a bit lame that we've worked so hard to get where we are and may go down with a whimper but I'm prepared to remain positive for now and ride out this storm. We have been so close in a number of games. Saturday was particiularly frustrating but we need to try and stay on side.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

We should feel fortunate that we have Webber and Farke in my opinion.

Got us promoted, arguably saved the club from going into administration... etc. They've never hidden the fact we'll be a selling club under their rule and they've done this by taking our young players, giving them a chance, improving them etc. We now have saleable assets regardless of what happens and you couldn't say that a few years back. All without spending big and promoting from within for the most part.

As I've said a bunch of times before, we were all behind this model when things were going well. Now that it isn't, we suddenly need to start spending loads of cash and perhaps consider changing the regime? I don't get it.

Farke and Webber will both be here for a couple of seasons yet and I'm sure they could do with our support. They won't be going anywhere if we do go down (still time for things to change, mind) and I'd back them to repeat the trick if we end up in the Championship again.

The way some people go on you'd think they'd rather be in that league anyway. Personally, I find it a bit lame that we've worked so hard to get where we are and may go down with a whimper but I'm prepared to remain positive for now and ride out this storm. We have been so close in a number of games. Saturday was particiularly frustrating but we need to try and stay on side.

Run out of reactions, Bob - but this post gets a ‘like’ for sure, spot on 👍🏼

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Run out of reactions, Bob - but this post gets a ‘like’ for sure, spot on 👍🏼

Cheers mate!

Believe me, I probably wasn't this positive after some games (Watford and Villa at home spring to mind!)

However, when reflecting on Sat I was frustrated but pretty happy with how we played. It was great seeing Buendia back to his best and I thought there were some great performances from our lads all over the pitch.

Now if we can just work out how to defend set pieces we may be ok! 😊

27 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Cheers mate!

Believe me, I probably wasn't this positive after some games (Watford and Villa at home spring to mind!)

However, when reflecting on Sat I was frustrated but pretty happy with how we played. It was great seeing Buendia back to his best and I thought there were some great performances from our lads all over the pitch.

Now if we can just work out how to defend set pieces we may be ok! 😊

It’s mad really buddy, I think of late we’ve started to play some of our best football, given there’s a good 6 that are realistically in the mix currently is the reason I’m full of optimism - why can’t we be amongst the better 3 of the 6? I remember the start of last season, it was a bit like now, it hadn’t quite clicked but some posters noticed there were some definite improvements and very promising signs despite the results, and sure enough, we started climbing the table. One thing I’d never do is bet against this group of players, especially with some of the recent performances. I can honestly say that if I was a supporter of any one of the other 5 sides currently in the mix, I would be concerned with how threatening Norwich are starting to look, and I genuinely mean that. Some set piece errors and tiredness, but on the whole, had I not known the table position and was watching the games blindly, I would think Norwich are one of the Premier Leagues better sides. The guile, movement, and skill has been simply breathtaking at times. I feel we have still improved hugely at the back - we never look like conceding 4,5,6 goals a game now whilst having zero attacking threat. We look past that. In the interest of fairness, I will say Watford are looking much better under Pearson. Southampton aren’t doing badly, but I think if they lost Ings they’d be in a bad way. Villa are seeing some key injuries mount, and the transfer window will not be easy for them what with FFP already hanging around their necks. Bournemouth, the locals here believe that they’re in real trouble, the injuries are mounting and Eddie Howe is struggling to find a solution. 

And let’s also not forget that the second half of the season will see a couple of teams drop off and sink right at the worst possible time - it happens every year. So for these reasons, I’m still feeling confident. A win at Villa, and every chance against a Son-less Spurs at home, could be the catalyst we all need. I’m full of hope for us, and believe in the lads, we can do this 💪🏽👍🏼

• Like 1

As well as us, I'd say it's between West Ham, (plucky) Bournemouth, Southampton, Brighton, Villa and Watford.  Everton will improve.  Watford looked ok v Man U yesterday, but I haven't seen a Man U side play as poorly as that for years.

There's a side of Webber that is obstinate, defensive and bullish - he's never going to admit that he got it wrong in the summer and we do have to thank him for putting a halt to a strategy of signing players like Naismith.  That said, to stand any chance of survival, we need one or more defenders who can come in and improve how we defend set pieces.  I agree with whoever said that the way the team plays has a direct influence on how the crowd reacts.  We saw v Man City and Arsenal that, as the underdog, we all pulled together.

On late subs, with hindsight (easy, I know), Hernandez for Cantwell and/or Vrancic for Trybull once they'd equalised could've signalled our intention to go and win the game.  Though replacing Cantwell would have been harsh in my opinion as he looked very good again.