Sign in to follow this  
Jobsworth Canary

Stewart Webber in Gunn club

32 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Webber's stock arguably falling by the week. He's already decided to leave in under 3 years but to where who knows. An important transfer window coming up and will show whether he's thrown the towel in for this season and already planning for the next. Some clubs will warm to a measured approach others will want a winner and a battler.

The thing is though, spending money in January is a big u-turn isn't it? An admission that he was wrong, and will instantly draw parallels with the Worthington season when we ultimately opened up the purse strings too late and Ashton wasn't quite enough to keep us up.

By continuing this hardline approach to going with what we have got he keeps on side this band of fans that buy into 'the model' and are convinced that we don't have any money. 

Spend money now and and the entire basis of their support collapses, after months of saying that £750k was our biggest outlay on a permanent player because we are broke. By spending £15m-£20m now, that excuse is no longer valid, and he opens himself up to criticism for failing to land targets in the summer. 

His reputation may be left more intact by just loaning a centre back and going down as a wealthy Championship club.

The group of posters on here who were arguing that we should have spent money in the summer was drown out by a much more vocal group of supporters of 'the model' who claimed we had no money. Does their argument hold water if we go and drop £15m-£20m in January, which has traditionally been a window where you get less value for money in the market? 

Or would that actually undermine their argument, and thus Webber's loyal support? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, Ray said:

He did 'criticise' the fans, saying we need more from them and very quickly included the players and "us" realising I guess his remarks were not the best thought through. Hucks then added something along the lines, 'the entire club as one needs to step up'. TBH, was a little awkward.

I also blame the fans, I think our support is appalling. 

Literally any Championship club could raise £5m in weeks to keep Category A status, and fans are so ungrateful at the great value for money they are getting out of their £50 Away memberships, especially the ones who are already paying some of the most expensive season ticket prices in the country.

Its ridiculous that our fans can't turn down the works Christmas Party so they can be 'in form' on match day, after all the players on £25k a week do! 

How dare the fans not have complete and utter devotion to the cause, its about time we erected a statue of Stuart Webber outside each of the four stands. Any fan not bowing to the statue on the way into the ground should be sentenced to three years hard labour in the gulag.

• Like 1

Webber shouldn’t be criticising the fans, if he was.  Our home form is dreadful and it’s surely down to the team to get us going as much as it is the other way.

• Like 2

Webbo is well within his rights to criticise the uninspiring, shallow, meek and lowly support.....and therefore, he should insist the price of the forthcoming season tickets for 2020/21 are raised by at least 5%.....that'll learn us..... 🙂 

Support was pretty good where I was. Is this fatty having a troll, just to amusingly try to create conflict ?

12 hours ago, Ray said:

He did 'criticise' the fans, saying we need more from them and very quickly included the players and "us" realising I guess his remarks were not the best thought through. Hucks then added something along the lines, 'the entire club as one needs to step up'. TBH, was a little awkward.

Fans affect how a team performs.  It can work for the good if they are really behind the team and it can be for the worse for the team if they sense the crowd is anxious.  If we had been 1-0 up against a top club, imagine the noise then, yet for some reason because it is a slightly lesser club, the crowd starts getting worriesome.  Fans need to realise every match is a cup final. 

I’m not buying this “fans we’re poor” yesterday, and if the remark was made it was misplaced in my view.  

So if we signed Salah he would sit on bench or if lucky come on at 89 minutes

Yeah the fans were clearly responsible for the criminal level of backing of a manager that deserved so much more. Webber’s done an amazing job here but really needs to engage his brain before running his mouth off at the fans. Some of those fans are responsible for the clubs training facilities because the club couldn’t afford it...

He also said, the goal was nothing to do with zonal marking but with a player not doing his job.  In the multitude of words there is error and I suspect he may look back at the interview and think he could also have done a bit better, we are all human, so why would we expect perfection from him and not ourselves.  Personally I think it was quite brave of him to come along, hiding to nothing springs to mind and although I felt some of his words left him open to, shall I say, review, I still appreciated his attendance.

• Like 2

I agree with Ray it was brave but I think we have to accept the current lower Barclay/snakepit is a shadow of what it once was.

i didn’t hear any grumbling in the room after he left yesterday in fact there was praise for him facing up to the situation

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The thing is though, spending money in January is a big u-turn isn't it? An admission that he was wrong, and will instantly draw parallels with the Worthington season when we ultimately opened up the purse strings too late and Ashton wasn't quite enough to keep us up.

By continuing this hardline approach to going with what we have got he keeps on side this band of fans that buy into 'the model' and are convinced that we don't have any money. 

Spend money now and and the entire basis of their support collapses, after months of saying that £750k was our biggest outlay on a permanent player because we are broke. By spending £15m-£20m now, that excuse is no longer valid, and he opens himself up to criticism for failing to land targets in the summer. 

His reputation may be left more intact by just loaning a centre back and going down as a wealthy Championship club.

The group of posters on here who were arguing that we should have spent money in the summer was drown out by a much more vocal group of supporters of 'the model' who claimed we had no money. Does their argument hold water if we go and drop £15m-£20m in January, which has traditionally been a window where you get less value for money in the market? 

Or would that actually undermine their argument, and thus Webber's loyal support? 

Ahh, the old 20/20 hindsight is back.in full effect. Not many people were saying that we didn't have any money, just that we didn't get the target(s) we were after for the money we were offering, two very different things. No point trying to get you to understand , that 'the model 'as you so love to call it, does NOT rule out spending on players. Merely that we will try to avoid spending money unwisely, not that hard to grasp, unless you are the kind of person that insults and then blocks those who disagree with you.

• Like 3

Just now, Jobsworth Canary said:

I agree with Ray it was brave but I think we have to accept the current lower Barclay/snakepit is a shadow of what it once was.

i didn’t hear any grumbling in the room after he left yesterday in fact there was praise for him facing up to the situation

Did you tell him how rubbish you think Todders is, or were you a starstruck fawning sycophant? 

• Haha 1

I couldn't hear what he was saying as I had some guts scoffing food, loudly and constantly, behind me. Might as well have used a friggin shovel.......

1 minute ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

No but I did ask him if he thinks a Taig should support Norwich and he said no 

I fully agree Jobbo! As I am neither Catholic nor Nationalist, i fear you can't tell a horse from a donkey. You are however full of Pony.

14 hours ago, Making Plans said:

4. Farke will fail to see what's happening on the pitch and not change anything until it's too late

Particularly this. This is where Farke lost it. Was crying out for fresh legs before they equalised - and indeed when they did. 3 panic subs on with 4 minutes to go was pathetic.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Herman said:

I couldn't hear what he was saying as I had some guts scoffing food, loudly and constantly, behind me. Might as well have used a friggin shovel.......

Gosh that is unlucky they don’t sell food after the game 

4 minutes ago, Grando said:

Particularly this. This is where Farke lost it. Was crying out for fresh legs before they equalised - and indeed when they did. 3 panic subs on with 4 minutes to go was pathetic.

So when we went 2-1 down you would have kept the same 11 on ? Some of you on here are getting obsessed with the timing of our subs like we would have won comfortably if he’d have made them earlier. For all we know making earlier subs could have made us worse, let’s be honest, none of Onel, Srbeny or Vrancic Made any difference 

Having a go at the fans again is tedious and boring. He should shut up and do a better job. Or maybe we should not wait until his allotted 3 years is up. 

How is it "brave" to come out and dig out the fans? It would be "brave" to come out and admit mistakes were made in the summer. There is nothing brave about passing the buck onto everyone but yourself. 

To expect the stadium to be bouncing as they watch the team slide to a 5th home defeat in 6 games is unrealistic. Considering the situation in the league table, I think the fans have shown more support and loyalty to the players and manager than the other clubs around us. 

23 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Gosh that is unlucky they don’t sell food after the game 

Otherwise  youd be eating before,  during and after  watching  Todders  get his fifth swallow of the season. 

2 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

How is it "brave" to come out and dig out the fans? It would be "brave" to come out and admit mistakes were made in the summer. There is nothing brave about passing the buck onto everyone but yourself. 

To expect the stadium to be bouncing as they watch the team slide to a 5th home defeat in 6 games is unrealistic. Considering the situation in the league table, I think the fans have shown more support and loyalty to the players and manager than the other clubs around us. 

He didn't criticise the fans

According to a friend who was there he commented that the atmosphere died out second half but never said the fans were poor. But it seems the lie has had its intended effect.

@TeemuVanBasten not having a pop at you but I'm a bit confused at your change of attitude regarding transfers? You stated we were "Farked" a month or two ago only to then create a thread after the Everton game stating how optimism was on the up and asking posters who they felt we should sign in January - Now we are back to being relegated again and still in December. Why would not signing a player in January be better than signing one?

In hindsight yes we clearly would have benefited from a player or two from August but there really wasn't many on this forum who were saying so at the time and if you do go back to that timeline you'll see that some of the biggest critics today (OP included) were more than happy with he business done at the time. It could also be said that maybe the right players were not available at the time and we could see where we are at in January to improve on the positions most in need then. 

We will make a signing, or signings in January I am sure of it. 

• Like 1

I wasn’t in the Gunn Club yesterday but have been to events previously where Webber has alienated the fans a little.

He says it how he sees it, which is great when you’re doing well. People are less likely to accept it if you’re bottom of the league.

I’m curious as to how anyone can possibly think that the fans creating a rapturous atmosphere will stop the defensive mistakes from set pieces that we are seeing in almost, if not every match?  It’s an absolute nonsense. Take responsibility for a car crash of a summer window and hold your hands up and say you got it wrong. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JF said:

I’m curious as to how anyone can possibly think that the fans creating a rapturous atmosphere will stop the defensive mistakes from set pieces that we are seeing in almost, if not every match?  It’s an absolute nonsense. Take responsibility for a car crash of a summer window and hold your hands up and say you got it wrong. 

Exactly this. 

Stuart Webber is up his own backside. Got Huddersfield up left them to come here got us up now going down with us. Next thing his brain’s will be running wild and slagging Delia off otbc

14 minutes ago, Hucks6 said:

Stuart Webber is up his own backside. Got Huddersfield up left them to come here got us up now going down with us. Next thing his brain’s will be running wild and slagging Delia off otbc

I've never really understood the hero worship.  I dont thi k he has done a particularly bad job but equally it's not exactly water into wine

He'll be looking to leave at the end of the year, regardless of our final league position and will do if team on the up makes an offer.