Mr Angry

Martin Peters RIP

Sheer Class, Grace & style, the greatest player I have seen playing for Norwich. But more than that, Martin Peters was a Magician with a football. I once saw a free kick awarded outside the area in the Barclay end, everyone was waiting, the ref was trying to sort out the wall, what happened next was almost as if time froze and the ball was in the back of the net, no one moved, the goal keeper never saw it, & I don't think anyone saw it coming, even the ref. Eventually  everyone realised what had happened the ref blew & it was a goal. Pure magic, the Ghost had struck. RIP Martin Peters.

19 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A wonderful Indian summer with us. A cast-iron choice for the best-ever eleven. RIP.

In the obituaries I've seen his time with us is mentioned - if at all - as an inconsequential afterthought to his career, just on a par with his spell at Sheffield United, for whom he played only 24 times and in Division Three. He played 173 times for us, with all but ten of those in the top flight.

13 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

In the obituaries I've seen his time with us is mentioned - if at all - as an inconsequential afterthought to his career, just on a par with his spell at Sheffield United, for whom he played only 24 times and in Division Three. He played 173 times for us, with all but ten of those in the top flight.

Thought he played over 200 times for us, certainly says so in my boys' sticker book and that must be correct :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, East Rider said:

Thought he played over 200 times for us, certainly says so in my boys' sticker book and that must be correct :classic_biggrin:

Yes, you're right. The Canary record book has 231 appearances overall. I was going purely on wiki's stats for league appearances, but counted up wrong anyway! Oops. He made 207 league appearances and if wiki is right and I have counted up correctly this time then he actually made more league appearances in the top flight for us (197) than for Spurs (189).

What a steal he was at £50,000. Probably the best player to ever wear a City shirt. Always seemed to have time and space to do what he wanted on the pitch and so calm. The complete professional.

He was a really nice man off the pitch too. I remember going to Spurs for a City match when he was out injured but there he was outside the ground before the game. A couple were getting married in the nearby church and the bride recognised him from his days at White Hart Lane so promptly ' kidnapped ' him for some photos. Nothing was too much trouble for him.

Martin Peters a great servant to football.

RIP

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Patrick Collins in the Mail seems to think Peters went straight to Sheffield United from Spurs. But then again one can at least rely on Brian Glanville for a decent obituary:

He would stay at White Hart Lane for 189 league appearances until the 1975-76 season, when, aged 31, he upped sticks once more, to First Division Norwich City, where he was made MBE. It was a successful conclusion to his big time playing career: he was top goalscorer in 1978-79, made more than 200 league appearances, and was a popular and effective player there until he left in 1980.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Patrick Collins in the Mail seems to think Peters went straight to Sheffield United from Spurs. But then again one can at least rely on Brian Glanville for a decent obituary:

He would stay at White Hart Lane for 189 league appearances until the 1975-76 season, when, aged 31, he upped sticks once more, to First Division Norwich City, where he was made MBE. It was a successful conclusion to his big time playing career: he was top goalscorer in 1978-79, made more than 200 league appearances, and was a popular and effective player there until he left in 1980.

Glanville’s pretty close but splitting hairs MP joined us in the 1974/5 season. Saw him play at Fratton Park in our 3-0 promotion clincher there.

31 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Glanville’s pretty close but splitting hairs MP joined us in the 1974/5 season. Saw him play at Fratton Park in our 3-0 promotion clincher there.

Indeed. I had noticed that. And one of the two times we won promotion at Portsmouth.