Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Norwich v Wolves

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I cant remember who we were playing where Hernandez had the freedom of the left wing up against a defence with no proper fullbacks, but having seen Hernandez do that, for me the biggest error was not having Hernandez on in place of McLean. McLean was decent, but Hernandez either on as a sub or starting would have made a big difference, especially as the fullback is Byram, who as a natural right back wont be providing quite the same width as Lewis. 

Hernandez came on in the end far too late and at a stage where we were not dominant. Wolves were always going to chase the game and having him as a danger on the counter would have been tactically useful. McLean is a bit of an all rounder, he doenst really offer you exceptional attributes in any area. Onel, very different. Cantwell doesnt need to be on the left, he is far more suited to a central role. Im not knocking McLean, I just dont see what he offers in that position as opposed to Hernandez or Cantwell.

Farke needs to sort out the defending at set pieces. It seems to be our undoing every week, yet we seem not to be improving here, week after week. I couldnt see that we were necessarily marking zonally as usual, but I dont understand why we persist with it when it fails week after week.

I think this game shows why we are going down. Arguably the best first half of the season. Yet we cant put the game to bed and our soft underbelly always gives poor teams (or rather teams performing badly) a get out of jail card.

Im not angry, I've given up on this season, and Im not too depressed with that, its just being realistic, I think our model means relegation is likely. But when we play such great football it is heartbreaking to not be rewarded for it

I agree wholeheartedly with those last two paragraphs. I'm not fully convinced abandoning zonal will solve things though, as it won't make our players any taller, and I think that's a big part of the problem defending set pieces. Most Premier League sides have at least three or four 6'3" bruisers but we don't, and as a result we will concede at set pieces.

5 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Down we go and we sliding so fast you think its snowing with ice- anyone saying different has there head in the sand or should I say snow

Do you mean us? Or your team, binner?

That's 3 games in a row now that we've been in front and we've got one lousy point.

Every one of the 5 points lost have been down to zonal (un)marking.

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The latter. But I'd say it's more a lack of character than critical mistakes.

But even when we are on song, we seem so fragile mentally.

I agree about the lack of character. I highlighted this as a problem before we'd even started the season. Our team has a lot of boys with only one real full season under their belt - a season in which they won a lot of games in a team that dominated the division and in which they received a lot of praise. This season is a very different season to what they have experienced before. They have not yet developed the mental strength required in all likelihood. But thats what you get with kids and not seasoned pro's

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

That's 3 games in a row now that we've been in front and we've got one lousy point.

Yeah it just kills you as a team 

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I agree about the lack of character. I highlighted this as a problem before we'd even started the season. Our team has a lot of boys with only one real full season under their belt - a season in which they won a lot of games in a team that dominated the division and in which they received a lot of praise. This season is a very different season to what they have experienced before. They have not yet developed the mental strength required in all likelihood. But thats what you get with kids and not seasoned pro's

The sad thing is we will probably lose those promising kids, who are learning at our expense , and then we have to rebuild the team once again ,only to probably be in this position once again if we gain promotion. And so the cycle continues.  

27 minutes ago, Orly said:

I'm frustrated too, but if you actually blame farke for the players not putting away the 8 good chances we had, I think you need a little time out.

I don't blame Farke for the missed chances, where have I said that? 

I blame Farke for not reading an obvious situation, and making at least one midfield change around the 70 minute mark. 

Same thing at Leicester, but we got away with it. The team looked knackered and needed some fresh impetus much earlier. 

Is Farke that limited he can't see the obvious? I don't think so, but I can't see an argument for not making at least one change when our performance is clearly starting to decline? 

17 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Do you mean us? Or your team, binner?

Original as always - how about attending a home game now and again, "binner"?

17 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

When you have to grind out a result Cantwell simply isn’t any good at it

in fact he ain’t got at much to be honest

how much longer must we endure the unendurable, deal with the undealable and accept the unacceptable 

I assume this is a poor attempt at a troll, or someone with a chip on their shoulder about Todd, but to single him out in a game where he was our scorer, was good on and off the ball, was the very opposite of lightweight and had a very high work-rate is just bizzarre.

I dont think singling out any player for criticism in this game is at all productive. I think they all played very well. If I were to blame anyone for how this game panned out I would point the finger at Farke - but even then I think to blame the manager is unnecessary.

The group as a whole, manager and team are still making the same mistakes they were at the start of the season. I think we failed to adapt to the game - even when the script was one we've read a million times. There is where the fault lies. Individually I thought all the players were very good today. The teamwork was also good, but the failure to adapt I think is the problem

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree wholeheartedly with those last two paragraphs. I'm not fully convinced abandoning zonal will solve things though, as it won't make our players any taller, and I think that's a big part of the problem defending set pieces. Most Premier League sides have at least three or four 6'3" bruisers but we don't, and as a result we will concede at set pieces.

Certainly a truism. Evident on the first day of the season when Lewis was left man-marking Virgil van ****. Total mismatch which resulted in essentially a free header. Trybull and Tettey arent really the bruisers you need, and Pukki is no Drogba. The only real physical presence we have comes from the centrebacks (and Stiepermann) our fullbacks being slight as well. Amadou could be important here, but injury problems have meant he hasnt been able to be additional to the centrebacks

I never really saw much of Stiepermann at left-back. How was he?

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I never really saw much of Stiepermann at left-back. How was he?

Not good. Certainly not the answer to our problems. 

27 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

So the $64million question is - why do we persist with it?

I remember Man City trying to do this a few years back (perhaps under Mancini?) and they couldnt make it work with some of the best players in the world. After failing more horribly than that time West Ham tried to play a False 9 Man City eventually had to abandon the approach. So why do we persist?

23 minutes ago, Dame to Blame said:

The sad thing is we will probably lose those promising kids, who are learning at our expense , and then we have to rebuild the team once again ,only to probably be in this position once again if we gain promotion. And so the cycle continues.  

I think that's our model though. To work however it needs replacements in the pipeline, like shark-teeth. The fact we have been playing seniors out of position rather than giving any of our younger players an opportunity, suggests the current prospects are miles away from first team level

18 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

I don't blame Farke for the missed chances, where have I said that? 

I blame Farke for not reading an obvious situation, and making at least one midfield change around the 70 minute mark. 

Same thing at Leicester, but we got away with it. The team looked knackered and needed some fresh impetus much earlier. 

Is Farke that limited he can't see the obvious? I don't think so, but I can't see an argument for not making at least one change when our performance is clearly starting to decline? 

I would agree here. Its by no means a Farke out post - but I also feel a failure to adapt to the game as it evolved is what has cost us the points today. The criticism is fair, as I feel the players all played well today. Over the 90 minutes we were the dominant team, far from outplayed, the reverse in fact. In those circumstances, whoever you are and regardless of the quality of the opposition players, you should be winning the game

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think that's our model though. To work however it needs replacements in the pipeline, like shark-teeth. The fact we have been playing seniors out of position rather than giving any of our younger players an opportunity, suggests the current prospects are miles away from first team level

Well we will probably yo yo for sometime yet 

45 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

how much longer must we endure the unendurable, deal with the undealable and accept the unacceptable 

Yep, i don't know how we all put up with you to be honest.

Just now, Dame to Blame said:

Well we will probably yo yo for sometime yet 

I think, without rich backers and a small stadium, that is our natural position. Many teams have gone bust trying to become something they're not. The current model seems realistic for a team in our circumstances. As long as we set ourselves up to have enough about us to challenge for promotion each time we go down (as opposed the the team/club being gutted or left crippled financially so we get stuck in the Championship) I've no problem with that

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think, without rich backers and a small stadium, that is our natural position. Many teams have gone bust trying to become something they're not. The current model seems realistic for a team in our circumstances. As long as we set ourselves up to have enough about us to challenge for promotion each time we go down (as opposed the the team/club being gutted or left crippled financially so we get stuck in the Championship) I've no problem with that

Sadly your right, we have no chance of getting rich backers anytime soon .

30 minutes ago, Carra Rud said:

Original as always - how about attending a home game now and again, "binner"?

Binner. 

1 hour ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

When you have to grind out a result Cantwell simply isn’t any good at it

in fact he ain’t got at much to be honest

2F7F0296-E1F3-4BB1-B3D9-63DF348BFAB9.png

Zonal marking, we don't mark the zone. Man marking, we don't mark the man.

Think we would be arguing the same way. No one attack the ball. The players should go away from the goal and not towards it. Krul needs to come out and claim if the defenders continue to not attack the incoming ball.

Cant remember losing to a side we were beating at half time that looked so ordinary....the worst thing is that they didnt have to do very much to turn it around.

Probably had one shot on our goal all game.

Should have been out of sight but doesnt seem to take much for the momentum to shift against us ,even against a team we were playing off the park..

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Cant remember losing to a side we were beating at half time that looked so ordinary....the worst thing is that they didnt have to do very much to turn it around.

Probably had one shot on our goal all game.

Should have been out of sight but doesnt seem to take much for the momentum to shift against us ,even against a team we were playing off the park..

The stoppage for the refs electronic arm to be reconnected didn’t seem to help, we never seemed to get going after that.

26 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The stoppage for the refs electronic arm to be reconnected didn’t seem to help, we never seemed to get going after that.

Just another excuse following on from VAR decisions and ball at corners not being in the quadrant.

Unbelievable defending for their first goal, just a long loopy ball to the back stick to a totally unmarked player, Not even League One standard.

I presume we don't actually have a defensive coach? 

Edited by Capt. Pants

33 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Just another excuse following on from VAR decisions and ball at corners not being in the quadrant.

Ah right, not using it as excuse but thanks anyway👍

Edited by Van wink