Sign in to follow this  
Nuff Said

More VAR info in the ground from this weekend

See https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/var-premier-league-changes-1-6435651

Cant see it addressing the major objections though. Are there any stats comparing results of VAR decisions for ‘big’ teams against lower-placed teams? I’d be interested to see if it’s just perception or experience backs it up. It can’t be denied that we are yet to have one go in our favour.

• Thanks 1

It is widely accepted we have had some rough luck with var ( not just by our fans ). I don’t think it’s the big clubs necessarily as Man City seem to have had the same experiences as us, I think it’s more the usual clubs ie Man Utd and Liverpool. From games watched ( and from our FCR experience with Man Utd ) part of this seems to be the pressure they put on the referee ( Ashley Young ) followed by the big club syndrome.

We will never know but in my head I beleive had the overturned red card against Sheffield Utd been at Old Trafford it would not have been overturned.

As I have mentioned before left far to open to corruption allegations.

To be fair there was that decision at West Ham that ‘should’ have been a penalty against TT.  But generally, var has been pisspoor - more in its use/consistency than anything; things that are meant to be based on fact/proof are still being done on ‘feel’.

More information to matchday fans must be a good thing.

Replaying controversial incidents on the big screens is an interesting one. Stand by for huge choruses of boos from home fans for every decision that doesn't go their way. 

I would hope this will make things worse at the ground, leading to a cancellation of var altogether.  It's demeaning, innaccurate, open to interpretation and even corruption like any refereeing decision and all it is doing is adding another layer of incompetence to what incompetence there already is on the field.  Better to spend the money on another official or two at each ground, like having four linesnan instead of two so they can keep up with play on both sides of the pitch at the same time.  It needs to be seen as a failure and got rid of as soon as is practicable.

Not a fan of VAR, far from it, but this is a step forward, particularly showing the replay at the ground.

This can be quite dramatic at rugby games, but there the video is shown before the final decision is made, I suspect this new development for our grounds will show the video after VAR has made its determination, so we will still have the long pauses in play when nobody is really sure what is being looked at.

I understand why people (particularly those actually in the ground) are getting frustrated with VAR, but the challenge is to make it better - not just to get rid of it.

Just look at Bournemouth's winner at Chelsea last weekend. In the old days that goal would have been totally incorrectly ruled out, but these days VAR gives it.

Similarly, Arsenal had a goal flagged offside at Man Utd earlier in the season. It turned out the player was about 3 yards onside and it was correctly given because of VAR.

Until officials stop hiding behind the technology and take authority over decisions then we won't really see an improvement.

On 21/12/2019 at 12:51, Van wink said:

Not a fan of VAR, far from it, but this is a step forward, particularly showing the replay at the ground.

This can be quite dramatic at rugby games, but there the video is shown before the final decision is made, I suspect this new development for our grounds will show the video after VAR has made its determination, so we will still have the long pauses in play when nobody is really sure what is being looked at.

In general, rugby gets more things right than football IMHO. But it winds me up no end when crowds ooh and ahh when replays are shown during the match, based on a clearly minimal understanding of the actual laws of the game. 

The requirement for fans to understand the law of the game is a relatively new concept. There always were a few but they were a minority and the majority only ever agreed with decisions that went in favour of the team they'd gone to support. 

Sport on TV, especially football, has changed the game to the point that those watching from the stands are getting a second class product. 

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In general, rugby gets more things right than football IMHO. But it winds me up no end when crowds ooh and ahh when replays are shown during the match, based on a clearly minimal understanding of the actual laws of the game. 

Interesting thought, though I suspect  many players, even those playing at International level, let alone the crowd don’t know all the laws of the game, or the most recent interpretation. 

43 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Most decisions in rugby are 'matter of fact', such as whether the ball went forward, whether the ball was grounded whilst in the hand etc. 

In football most checks are for penalties or red cards and those are always subjective.

On 21/12/2019 at 12:51, Van wink said:

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Not sure what happened there!

17 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Most decisions in rugby are 'matter of fact', such as whether the ball went forward, whether the ball was grounded whilst in the hand etc. 

In football most checks are for penalties or red cards and those are always subjective.

Not sure I would agree with that. I still don’t understand offside in rugby, and as for 1) why some scrums are illegal, and some aren’t and 2) why line outs which aren’t straight are deemed to be. Those are just the most obvious judgment calls and I’m sure there are more.