Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Pete Raven

Godfrey out for six weeks

Recommended Posts

just as we were starting to gel

 

Time for yet another new CB partnership - this time Amadou & Zimbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if we might now see the Norwegian CB we were supposed to have on trial get a deal to the end of the season.

Our 3 specialist CBs have all had extended injury breaks this year now and, project or no project, a Premier League team shouldn't continue begging and borrowing in a vital position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the plus side he'll still be here at the end of January. Struggling to find any other positives for another huge injury blow. I've been watching for 50 years and I've never seen so many injuries, many coming in the same position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Failure to sign another CB in the window would be reckless imo. I see Jack Rodwell is training with the Blades.

I would suggest it may be more reckless to sign Jack Rodwell,   but agree CB cover is essential.

 

For this weekend I wouldn't weaken  the CM by moving Tettey back (any alternative isnt to his standard in CM so far this season,  and that is a sentence I wasnt expecting to type) so it has to be Hanley or Amadou alongside Christoph;   its all about the fitness of Hanley but my preference right now would be amadou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey and Zimmermann for me tomorrow.  Both leaders on the pitch, Tetts did a good job at CB a few matches ago too.

Jesus Lakey, Tettey in CB was a mess. Amadou in for Godfrey to partner Zimmerman is the best option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amadou has more pace so perhaps gets the nod over Hanley, but IMO we really have to get a cb in as soon as the Window opens - one that can hit the ground running.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Amadou has more pace so perhaps gets the nod over Hanley, but IMO we really have to get a cb in as soon as the Window opens - one that can hit the ground running.

We don't want him to hit the ground too hard😂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey and Zimmermann for me tomorrow.  Both leaders on the pitch, Tetts did a good job at CB a few matches ago too.

Why weaken two areas of the pitch unnecessarily? Tettey's been our best 'defensive' midfielder so leave him there. Has to Amadou or Hanley for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Amadou has more pace so perhaps gets the nod over Hanley, but IMO we really have to get a cb in as soon as the Window opens - one that can hit the ground running.

Don't forget his performance against ManC. He may not be able to replicate that, but we're gonna have to risk it coz I suspect Hanley would get marmalized.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

On the plus side he'll still be here at the end of January. Struggling to find any other positives for another huge injury blow. I've been watching for 50 years and I've never seen so many injuries, many coming in the same position. 

Football in general has a higher number of injuries now than ever before. The demands on a physical level are so high nowadays, as players have to be as quick, fit and strong as humanly possible so they're pushing their bodies to the absolute limit.

 

8 minutes ago, TCCANARY said:

Does anyone know if Sam Byram has ever played CB?

To the best of my knowledge, no... He's covered on the right wing a lot but has never been seen as a centre back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Jesus Lakey, Tettey in CB was a mess. Amadou in for Godfrey to partner Zimmerman is the best option.

Completely agree on Tettey at CB! Shocking...

I'd get Hanley in. At least that's his actual position!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Amadou has more pace so perhaps gets the nod over Hanley, but IMO we really have to get a cb in as soon as the Window opens - one that can hit the ground running.

As I just said on another thread, and Farke alluded to it himself, if we signed a CB they wouldn't appear for at least a couple of weeks. He likes to bed players in and not rush them into the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Completely agree on Tettey at CB! Shocking...

I'd get Hanley in. At least that's his actual position!

Agree with that. I'm a great believer of playing square pegs in square holes and the thought of moving Tettey back to centre half is too ridiculous to contemplate unless there was literally no choice. Problem with Hanley, though, is he has played virtually zero meaningful first team football for some 15 months so can't possibly be match fit. Even though I'd go for him I have to say the prospect of him and Zimmerman facing Traore tomorrow and the boy Son TWICE in this six week period is truly terrifying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agree with that. I'm a great believer of playing square pegs in square holes and the thought of moving Tettey back to centre half is too ridiculous to contemplate unless there was literally no choice. Problem with Hanley, though, is he has played virtually zero meaningful first team football for some 15 months so can't possibly be match fit. Even though I'd go for him I have to say the prospect of him and Zimmerman facing Traore tomorrow and the boy Son TWICE in this six week period is truly terrifying! 

It is! But I think it may be the only way! Tettey needs to stay at DM, Hanley in at CB. He's been training and let's hope he is match fit! Farke will know best, so we'll see come 2pm on Sat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Why weaken two areas of the pitch unnecessarily? Tettey's been our best 'defensive' midfielder so leave him there. Has to Amadou or Hanley for me.

I  thought Tettey was good at CB against Brighton, apart from one missed clearance and Amadou would not weaken the team as a DM, might even improve it (yes I know he didn't impress there last time out but we need him to do a job) and better he is at DM imo.

Hanley if fit has to be considered of course, but "if fit" is the key.....he may be training, but is he ready to go straight in the team....we'll see......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What games haven't so many of you been watching...... 

Hanley (not only unfit and having had few games in the past two years), Amadou and Tettey have all been tried in the CB position this season and apart from the isolated 'one-off' occasion they have all proven not to be adequate at this level.... we have to learn lessons and keep improving which seems to be what they are trying to do......   we now have hindsight so to play any of them again at CB is just gifting the 3 points (and our EPL status) away.   

Sam Byram has shown himself to be adaptable, but crucially, quick and defensively astute.... he would likely step in to this position and do a solid job for us.... that would allow Lewis back in and keep Tettey in the DM position so it's less disruptive overall.    

Would sooner see Famewo given opportunity than put one of Hanley, Tettey or Amadou at the back.   

Can anyone really make a justifiable case for any of those three given what we have seen so far?     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not want to move Tetts back to CB as he has been outstanding this season in the DF position. He has pleasantly surprised me with his performances and his experience and leadership in the team has been as you would expect excellent. The problem will be that Tetts will not last playing every game in the congested Christmas programme. I would give another go to Amadou in defence as he at least has some pace and that will not upset so much our defensive shape with Tetts as the shield. I fear that Hanley will be destroyed in the Premier league with his lack of pace, especially just returning to match fitness. I will be surprised if we buy anyone in the window - possibly we might see a loan - but the Norwich way seems to bring someone in and then not play them for at least two weeks and even if someone arrives on New Year's Day that is almost a waste of time with Ben back in February. The injury to BG could not have come at a worse time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

As I just said on another thread, and Farke alluded to it himself, if we signed a CB they wouldn't appear for at least a couple of weeks. He likes to bed players in and not rush them into the team.

Yes and no - needs must sometimes; if you get the right guy you can surely reduce that bedding in time.  Jan isn’t actually too bad a month as you only have one league game between the 1st and the 18th - we could surely get someone through the doors and ready in that timeframe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got to be Hanley and Zimmermann tomorrow. Arguably our most natural defenders anyway.

Jimenez is more the target man type anyway and the Tettey/trybull axis should keep jota occupied

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Famewo is nowhere near the standard required and I'm not a fan of Hanley, but like others have suggested he is a natural centre back so would be best fit, rather than Tettey etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes and no - needs must sometimes; if you get the right guy you can surely reduce that bedding in time.  Jan isn’t actually too bad a month as you only have one league game between the 1st and the 18th - we could surely get someone through the doors and ready in that timeframe. 

Yes but we probably won't sign a CB on Jan 1! I imagine it'll take a bit longer to get anything through.

Hopefully we'll be ok, but I can't help but think we'll be bemoaning this injury again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given how the season’s gone and cb being a clear weak point, we should have been scouring all over for someone for the last month or two.  IMO there’s really no excuse not to have one lined up (if there’s anything in our price range) though sadly there’s been little-to-no links with anyone other than the Norway fella.  Liverpool, for example, have already announced that Japanese guy signing on 1/1.

Re tomorrow, I’d say Hanley>Amadou>Tettey - it depends how fit GH is (and remembering two games next week).  It’s like it was when Zimm was out, you can get away with playing guys out of position but not for too long.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Given how the season’s gone and cb being a clear weak point, we should have been scouring all over for someone for the last month or two.  IMO there’s really no excuse not to have one lined up (if there’s anything in our price range) though sadly there’s been little-to-no links with anyone other than the Norway fella.  Liverpool, for example, have already announced that Japanese guy signing on 1/1.

Re tomorrow, I’d say Hanley>Amadou>Tettey - it depends how fit GH is (and remembering two games next week).  It’s like it was when Zimm was out, you can get away with playing guys out of position but not for too long.

Let's hope so BP! They will have identified prospects, I'm sure, and we often end up surprised with who we've signed as their name isn't always leaked under this regime! Fingers crossed. Not sure on Strandberg and whether he'll be up to being thrown straight in, if indeed we even had him on trial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×