Pete Raven

Godfrey out for six weeks

2 minutes ago, Clint said:

Let’s play two CB’s at CB shall we. If Hanley is fit, he plays. The talk of playing Tettey or Amadou over him is nonsense.

Agreed. If Hanley isn't ready, it's got to be Amadou - he's already played a bunch of games there, and while he wasn't great he has more experience of playing there, and Tettey is vital for the DM role.

Edited by Feedthewolf

50 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Famewo is nowhere near the standard required and I'm not a fan of Hanley, but like others have suggested he is a natural centre back so would be best fit, rather than Tettey etc.

I was going to mention Famewo to come in. Is he no good?

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

What games haven't so many of you been watching...... 

Hanley (not only unfit and having had few games in the past two years), Amadou and Tettey have all been tried in the CB position this season and apart from the isolated 'one-off' occasion they have all proven not to be adequate at this level.... we have to learn lessons and keep improving which seems to be what they are trying to do......   we now have hindsight so to play any of them again at CB is just gifting the 3 points (and our EPL status) away.   

Sam Byram has shown himself to be adaptable, but crucially, quick and defensively astute.... he would likely step in to this position and do a solid job for us.... that would allow Lewis back in and keep Tettey in the DM position so it's less disruptive overall.    

Would sooner see Famewo given opportunity than put one of Hanley, Tettey or Amadou at the back.   

Can anyone really make a justifiable case for any of those three given what we have seen so far?     

This. Absolutely, definitely. Please don't let us make the same mistakes again. Byram or Famewo.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Given how the season’s gone and cb being a clear weak point, we should have been scouring all over for someone for the last month or two.  IMO there’s really no excuse not to have one lined up (if there’s anything in our price range) though sadly there’s been little-to-no links with anyone other than the Norway fella. 

Any savvy club is going to do all it’s planning for signings under the radar. Linked players rarely end up wearing the shirt.

This window will be the same

Hanley in for me. His only real weakness imo is he lacks pace and is liable to get turned inside out, which admittedly has happened a couple of times this season. But he was keeping a clean sheet against Newcastle until the 93rd minute or so when the game was already comfortably won, so he can do the business. Amadou on the bench ready to step in if needed.

Will point out that we have been susceptible from set pieces. Hanley is pretty tidy in the air, so playing alongside Zimbo we should be a lot more solid from that point of view, so that’s a plus 👍🏼

Definitely not Tettey at CB! Let’s keep him doing what he does best eh?, shielding our CB’s.

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

Famewo is nowhere near the standard required and I'm not a fan of Hanley, but like others have suggested he is a natural centre back so would be best fit, rather than Tettey etc.

They were saying that about Cantwell until September..... and who on earth was Max Aarons last August!!!!!   Give him a go, you never know!!!!    Hanley is definitely 'nowhere near the standard required'....   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Hanley in for me. His only real weakness imo is he lacks pace and is liable to get turned inside out, which admittedly has happened a couple of times this season. But he was keeping a clean sheet against Newcastle until the 93rd minute or so when the game was already comfortably won, so he can do the business. Amadou on the bench ready to step in if needed.

Will point out that we have been susceptible from set pieces. Hanley is pretty tidy in the air, so playing alongside Zimbo we should be a lot more solid from that point of view, so that’s a plus 👍🏼

Definitely not Tettey at CB! Let’s keep him doing what he does best eh?, shielding our CB’s.

Lacks pace exactly..... this isn't League 1.    His positioning is suspect, have a gander at our games v Portsmouth and Chelsea this year!     He just isn't viable at EPL level.... sadly!   

1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

got to be Hanley and Zimmermann tomorrow. Arguably our most natural defenders anyway.

Jimenez is more the target man type anyway and the Tettey/trybull axis should keep jota occupied

Obvious choice. I really hope Hanley plays and has a blinder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Looks like the rumours were true then. It happens, no player is irreplaceable.

But some are more irreplaceable than others!

could be crucial to our season.

Just now, Bradwell canary said:

But some are more irreplaceable than others!

could be crucial to our season.

I know, just trying to lift my spirits:classic_rolleyes:

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey and Zimmermann for me tomorrow.  Both leaders on the pitch, Tetts did a good job at CB a few matches ago too.

Really ? Wow

27 minutes ago, Well b back said:
6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Tettey and Zimmermann for me tomorrow.  Both leaders on the pitch, Tetts did a good job at CB a few matches ago too.

Really ? Wow

Farke seems to think he can do it if you listen to his press conference. From memory, Tettey made one or two mistakes at Brighton as a CB, but was quite dominant overall in that position. 

What happened to the days when a player got injured and was out for a couple of weeks ? These days it appears to be six weeks at the very least !

18 hours ago, Clint said:

Let’s play two CB’s at CB shall we. If Hanley is fit, he plays. The talk of playing Tettey or Amadou over him is nonsense.

This.

17 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

They were saying that about Cantwell until September..... and who on earth was Max Aarons last August!!!!!   Give him a go, you never know!!!!    Hanley is definitely 'nowhere near the standard required'....   

One person who will know is Mr Farke. If he thinks Famewo is ready he’ll play, if he doesn’t (most likely) then he won’t. 

19 hours ago, Clint said:

Totally agree. Get Hanley in because we'll need him match fit and up to speed against Villa. Lose at that and we are stuffed. The worst possible time to have yet another player injured.

I shudder to think of Tettey at CB up against Jiminez and then Wesley and Grealish.

Edited by Capt. Pants

17 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

What happened to the days when a player got injured and was out for a couple of weeks ? These days it appears to be six weeks at the very least !

Inflation.