Sign in to follow this  
BobLoz3

Nelson's Revenge...

Meh; look at where we were and where we are now - looks like the right decisions were made overall.  Good player but far too temperamental, a lesson for others to be aware of.

Seems a reasonable summary of his time from his perspective I suppose

I can understand why it would be difficult to adapt to a new country as for the food Norwich isn’t exactly a hub of gastronomic excellence 

37 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I can understand why it would be difficult to adapt to a new country as for the food Norwich isn’t exactly a hub of gastronomic excellence 

Well, if you gave other people the opportunity to eat...

56 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I dunno... The market is excellent nowadays!

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Meh; look at where we were and where we are now - looks like the right decisions were made overall.  Good player but far too temperamental, a lesson for others to be aware of.

I think that where we are now has less to do with Nelson and more to do with Farke getting the balance right eventually.

Oh... and getting Pukki on a free of course

Edited by BobLoz3

Just now, Jobsworth Canary said:

Indeed have to look after my figure 

Good Man.....a most sensible approach to looking after one's health.....

"The only way to hide lard......is to lose it......

He was a bad fit for the club and city in numerous ways; not least his lack of awareness of the awesome food available from Norwich restaurants, or indeed the fact that England typically has a more diverse range of foods available to buy (if just as raw ingredients) than many other countries. I would argue that the 'disrespect' show at the Fulham game pales into insignificance when viewed alongside the real reason he couldn't hold down a place in the team: his lack of workrate and his failure to adapt to the fundamental change in footballing philosophy underpinning the club's subsequent success. A complete antithesis to Pukki, Nelson seemed to never make any runs off the ball and gave the midfield very little to work with. He would not press, never tracked back to defend and simply failed to put in the required level of effort which ultimately undermined his undoubted skill.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/nelson-oliveira-on-norwich-city-spell-1-6428600

Don't be daft, Nelson.

What he did was one of the single most disrespectful things I've seen in football and he definitely deserved to be punished in the way he was.

But hey, at least he's in Greece now and it's warm and they don't just have fish and chips on the menu...

Probably not a popular opinion but I found Wes refusing to celebrate his goal against Villa because he wanted to sign for them to be more disrespectful than Nelson at Fulham.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Probably not a popular opinion but I found Wes refusing to celebrate his goal against Villa because he wanted to sign for them to be more disrespectful than Nelson at Fulham.

I think he made amends. 

27 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well, yes that was also annoying but Wes gave us a lot more of himself than Nelson ever did so I'll forget that one 😉

34 minutes ago, Petriix said:

He was a bad fit for the club and city in numerous ways; not least his lack of awareness of the awesome food available from Norwich restaurants, or indeed the fact that England typically has a more diverse range of foods available to buy (if just as raw ingredients) than many other countries. I would argue that the 'disrespect' show at the Fulham game pales into insignificance when viewed alongside the real reason he couldn't hold down a place in the team: his lack of workrate and his failure to adapt to the fundamental change in footballing philosophy underpinning the club's subsequent success. A complete antithesis to Pukki, Nelson seemed to never make any runs off the ball and gave the midfield very little to work with. He would not press, never tracked back to defend and simply failed to put in the required level of effort which ultimately undermined his undoubted skill.

Agreed. He was intent on taking hopeless pot shots from range for the most part.

Probably because that's EXACTLY what Farke told him not to do. It was just a continuation of his 'rebellion' against the new regime. Which goes back to my original point...

Edited by BobLoz3

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Nice salads in Greece but I don’t think their food is in the top 10 For culinary delights served in Europe. 

Food in Crete (which is in Greece) is absolutely superb.

Never stays long at any club he has played for suggests the problem is him not the club.On reflection he was not good enough although he obviously liked the financial rewards of being in Norfolk.

Talking **** isn’t he. Ronaldo managed to adapt to life in England quite well I remember...

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Food in Crete (which is in Greece) is absolutely superb.

Have they moved it ? It was an island under Greek sovereignty when I visited.

21 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Have they moved it ? It was an island under Greek sovereignty when I visited.

I didn’t have you down as a pedant MY. Welcome to the club!

The more we see of what DF requires from his players,  the more it becomes apparent  that Nelson Oliviera  was never ever ever going to fit in under the current regime.  His love of money over football can be the only explanation I can think of  as to why he stuck around so long.  Occasionally  brilliant, mostly frustrating. 

• Like 1

Matt Derbyshire tore up the Greek league but was very average in the Championship, if you want an idea of the standard of the Greek league.

It's basically the SPL but with 2 Celtics and 2 Rangers. 

Also, we know he has his purple patches. He had the talent and belief but that's 50 percent of what you need, he was lacking in everything else. 

17 hours ago, JF said:

Talking **** isn’t he. Ronaldo managed to adapt to life in England quite well I remember...

He has a very special mentality though, a single-minded determination to be the best player in the world. So many special talents don't have that and fall off, like Adriano and Robinho. 

20 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Agreed. He was intent on taking hopeless pot shots from range for the most part.

Probably because that's EXACTLY what Farke told him not to do. It was just a continuation of his 'rebellion' against the new regime. Which goes back to my original point...

Those pot shots really did get ludicrous, you'd want him to try from range but he'd take shots at near impossible angles. A decent striker and we'd have finished up towards the play offs somewhere. Should have kept Jerome for 6 more months and sold Oliviera in that January window. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Those pot shots really did get ludicrous, you'd want him to try from range but he'd take shots at near impossible angles. A decent striker and we'd have finished up towards the play offs somewhere. Should have kept Jerome for 6 more months and sold Oliviera in that January window. 

Lets not forget Jerome was awful that season in front of goal too and said Farke's training was too much for him when he left.

Its a shame really. He had the opportunity to become a real firm favorite amongst supporters, but i'm not surprised he moved on looking at his career history. Completely uninterested now in what his experience was and was clearly a divisive figure towards the end of his stint. Cheerio Nelson.