If and big if we go down and no one wants that clearly but what do people view the position for next year. How many would go and in the current climate how much would they go for?

I would imagine Godfrey, Pukki, Aarons and Buendia will be top of most people’s lists.

Cantwell must be earning some admirers also and then if Jamal can come back into the frame and impress then he will be unfortunate not to see a big money move.

Question being with the riches in the game and transfers forever increasing what is a fair and reasonable price.

Maybe the sales combined will allow players like Adam Idah and Josh Martin to flourish. 

We have to be aiming for £30m for Godfrey and £20m for Pukki. Even Cantwell for me could fetch £15m+ easily and even then it may seem soft and too cheap.

A few assumptions here but let's assume we did go down then I think the values you have may be a bit low.

Godfrey - your value seems right, I would expect £20 - 30m with a decent sell on clause.

If Pukki continues to score at anything close to the pace of the first half of the season you would have be looking at £30m plus for him. a proven goal scorer at premier league level who would have behind him 15 goals in a season in a team that got relegated should demand a good fee.

I think Cantwell is looking like the other stand out performer at the moment, young, English and attacking running from deep. If he replicates the first half of the season he should be hot property in the Summer.

11 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

If Pukki continues to score at anything close to the pace of the first half of the season you would have be looking at £30m plus for him. a proven goal scorer at premier league level who would have behind him 15 goals in a season in a team that got relegated should demand a good fee.

I think the OP's value is probably closer- Pukki is 29 now and will be 30 at the end of this season. Not many 30 year old strikers get bought for £30m. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

A few assumptions here but let's assume we did go down then I think the values you have may be a bit low.

Godfrey - your value seems right, I would expect £20 - 30m with a decent sell on clause.

I think Cantwell is looking like the other stand out performer at the moment, young, English and attacking running from deep. If he replicates the first half of the season he should be hot property in the Summer.

Pukki will be 30. He is also not English. If he was 25 he would be worth well in excess of £30m, as it is I think you will find he would be valued far closer to £10m unless somebody becomes totally desperate in January.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think the OP's value is probably closer- Pukki is 29 now and will be 30 at the end of this season. Not many 30 year old strikers get bought for £30m. 

I do get the age issue but realistically he has until 33 or 34 at the top of his game. Bearing in mind what completely unproven strikers are changing hands for at the moment I can see more. Some of the fees paid to Championship clubs have been outrageous over the last few years, this only seems to be going up not down.

Either way,I hope he stays.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

There won't be a fire sale.

For me, fire sale suggests selling cheap- I don't see that happening.

I do wonder how much of who we would sell if we went down is in our control though.

• Like 2

Just now, Jack Barak said:

I do get the age issue but realistically he has until 33 or 34 at the top of his game. Bearing in mind what completely unproven strikers are changing hands for at the moment I can see more. Some of the fees paid to Championship clubs have been outrageous over the last few years, this only seems to be going up not down.

According to midlands press Villa value him at £12m. He is probably more value in the January market than he would be in the summer market.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There won't be a fire sale.

Surely some will go to continue the self funding model ?

5 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

Clubs have to consider resale value when they sign a player at the cost though and realistically Pukki's value is only going to go down as he gets older.

I'd look at someone like Jay Rodriguez for example- 29, 33 goals in the Premier League but only cost £5m according to reports.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I do wonder how much of who we would sell if we went down is in our control though.

Agreed

No way will players go on the cheap, however based on what we built with £23m ( Maddison ) would love to see what we could build with a bucket full of cash. 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

A fire sale involves the forced sale of many items at far below the proper price. I don't see either of those criteria being fulfilled.

• Like 1

Just now, Well b back said:

Agreed

No way will players go on the cheap, however based on what we built with £23m ( Maddison ) would love to see what we could build with a bucket full of cash. 

I think the unknown factor in all of this is release clauses. If I was the agent of Godfrey, Aarons or Buendia, for example, I'd have been insisting on a clause that says 'if we go down my player can go for any fee above £xm.'

Webber is a smart cookie though and I'm very sure those won't have been set low.

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

As long as we then strengthen again with a bit of experience it can be an exciting model.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the unknown factor in all of this is release clauses. If I was the agent of Godfrey, Aarons or Buendia, for example, I'd have been insisting on a clause that says 'if we go down my player can go for any fee above £xm.'

Webber is a smart cookie though and I'm very sure those won't have been set low.

Agreed again and you also have to look at this from players points of view.

Should we go down ( big if at present ) If Pukki is offered PL football and security for his family can’t see him turning it down. This will be his last chance to bag big money for his pension fund. Will the youngsters ( I include Bundiea in that ) not see their futures and development away from the Championship ? Maddison built this team, so looking at this positively there is no reason why this sort of sale wouldn’t see us signing players that improve us further.

The fly in the ointment here is the desires of the players involved. I'd hope that of our current 'desirable' players, they'd all rather play the second half of the season for us in the Premier League than jump ship to play for a relegation rival or warm the bench at a bigger/better club.

If we go down, though, those players' desires may change by the summer. It won't be a 'fire sale' because financially we don't need to sell, but if four or five of our players all get offers from top-flight clubs and decide they want to leave, we'd be foolish to stand in their way. We can play hard-ball for the best price, of course, but nine times out of ten when a player and his agent say they want a move and said move is on the table, they get it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Without a doubt, but a fire sale is the kind of forced cheap offloading Chase had to do with the likes of Newsome. We will not be in that desperate position, and should generally get good prices and have some control over who goes.

• Like 2

Stay up and the club keep all or most of the players they choose to. Relegation will result in a fair few leaving through their choice or Norwich wishing  to sell.

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Stay up and the club keep all or most of the players they choose to. Relegation will result in a fair few leaving through their choice or Norwich wishing  to sell.

With that kind of insight, you should be on Match of the Day.

• Haha 1

Get real even if we stay up we will lose players.  Godfrey and Buendia and others will be attracted by the salaries other clubs will offer as opposed to the peanuts City can play.  Another PL season will yield even more money not enough to pay £20 or 30 k.

We might be able to hang on to Pukki but mot if we sell off the better players.

If the Murphys went for around the £10-12M mark the I think Pukki's value as a striker would be more. In January, a club looking to stay in the Prem, other than us, might well think a dozen goals from him would be worth a good deal of money to keep them afloat.

In the summer, it will depend on what he does for the rest of this season.

Fact is he is a good player as Saturday's goal showed, so we do not have to sell him for anything less than we think he is worth.

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I don't understand the logic of this. The whole point about a properly functioning self-funding model is that you have to keep debt under control. A fire sale is therefore less likely at Norwich than say, Villa, if they go down.

There is a player-trading element, particularly in the Championship, but financial discipline should mean that we don't get ourselves into the position that we had when we over-exposed ourselves in our previous premier league and can therefore command good prices. 

Hopefully this is all pure speculation, as we will manage to grab enough points in the second half of the season to stay up.

My biggest worry is that most of our attractive young prospects are doubly so because of the home-grown rule. I can see big teams coming sniffing round in January for players like Godfrey and Aarons. If we lose them we can no longer keep robbing the lower German leagues because we will have too many overseas players.

1 hour ago, pete said:

Get real even if we stay up we will lose players.  Godfrey and Buendia and others will be attracted by the salaries other clubs will offer as opposed to the peanuts City can play.  Another PL season will yield even more money not enough to pay £20 or 30 k.

We might be able to hang on to Pukki but mot if we sell off the better players.

It is quite possible that if big clubs come in for players they will be tempted. It is a simple fact of life that if a top six club come in for a player they will be tempted - twas ever thus.

However, a second year in the premier would enable us to become more competitive on wages, if this became an issue as we would not have the one-off costs associated with promotion which could be used to significantly increase wages if felt necessary. There would have to be very significant relegation clauses negotiated though as otherwise we would be exposed as we were over Naismith.

After watching saturdays match, it struck me that if Pukki was in Leicesters team he would be scoring goals regulary with the service that Leicester provide Vardy with. Theres plenty of teams in the premier league that would pay £25 million for his services,now or in the summmer.

35 minutes ago, PHILIP COOK said:

After watching saturdays match, it struck me that if Pukki was in Leicesters team he would be scoring goals regulary with the service that Leicester provide Vardy with. Theres plenty of teams in the premier league that would pay £25 million for his services,now or in the summmer.

Totally agree. How much is the 32 (33 next month) year old Vardy worth?

14 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Totally agree. How much is the 32 (33 next month) year old Vardy worth?

Players like Vardy and Pukki often fall into the awkward category of players who are worth far more to their current team than what anybody is willing to pay.

The highest fee a Premier League club has paid for a player over the age of 30 is reportedly the £16m Chelsea paid for Makelele. 

Olivier Giroud who had 73 Premier League goals in 180 games for Arsenal only cost £15m when he was 30.