Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Norwich; The Worthy years; Part II

So, I my opinion, we have left the old Norwich behind, good football, sell-out crowds, a close relationship between fans and the board, they are gone. I predict Worthington will most likely not be in charge this time next year, whether he be sacked in the summer, about October, november time, I don''t know.

The question we must ask ourselves is; who does Worthy waste the 4-5 million on? Watch out for reserve team players, has-beens and complete waste of spaces coming to Carrow Road! Next of, who replaces Nigel? He will be gone by this time next year, but else is there? Possibly a lower-leaugue manager, such as Steve Tilson, or, most probably, Doug Livermore or Steve Foley.

Next, getting rid of the dead-wood, you know who they are! And after all of this; how many years until we regain our premiership status? Personally, I think we will see a similar few years like the last 10 or so. Selling our best players, 15,000 crowds, mid-table mediocracy. And after all of this? Promotion, relegation, and here we go again!

Voice, a great post and many good points made, it does seem to me that on learning of Dean''s departunre this morning, had I just been asleep for over ten years and it was still 1995....

We left the old Norwich behind a long time ago in terms of us playing good football.  The board who saved us from the Chase fall out have by and large done great work and I still believe they want the best for the club, I just think they are a little reluctant to do anything too radical in order to achieve what we all want which is of course to be in the Premiership and stay there.  They realise that we don''t have countless millions to spend - and I salute all they have done to repair the mistrust and damage that existed after Chase. 

However, I do feel they are too close to comfort with regards their relationship with the manager.  It''s just too cosy a set up.  Mr Worthington has many limations which have held us back and are one of the reasons we are not in great shape now.  But they can''t see that and won''t think of getting rid of him until that wonderful bubble has burst.  Who can say when that might be, to be honest I think they will take stock in the summer.  We will still be in this division, unless we plummet so low as to be in another relegation battle.  But the damage has started, will everyone renew?  No, I don''t think so.   The golden period was never going to be forever as our management team are not up to the job.  I don''t condemn them for that, it''s the job of the board to realise they have taken us as far as they can.  Then the board should act and do the business thing, not the personal thing.

What I do condemn the management team for however is the god awful football we have been served up.  The way they managed to turn Dean Ashton from a promising young striker into someone ashamed to play, wandering around confused and frustrated.  It is all beyond them, this pass and move stuff. 

Delia, please give the job to someone who knows what the ball if for.  It''s supposed to roll along the grass, this is football not rugby. 

Good point about Nigel''s relationship with the board. Any other chairman/manager/club and Nigel would not be in charge, it just happens that Mumby and Delia (whom I am very big fans of) and Worthy (whom I have never been a very big fan of) seem to me to be good friends, which is where we hit the stumbling block as far as sacking him goes.