Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Todd Cantwell and Teemu's Toe

Just read the update on Teemu's injury on the main page. So, hopefully he'll be fit for Wolves on Saturday, but it got me thinking about what we should do if he doesn't make it.

The next cab off the rank as it were is Dennis Srbeny, but if we brought him in it seems to me that we would have to change our tactics quite radically as I just can't see Srbeny making the type of runs that Teemu does. 

We could bring in Adam Idah (great goal he scored for the U23s at the weekend), but to bring a youngster in for his League debut in a massively important Premier League game like this seems like a big ask.

If Teemu wasn't available the best like for like replacement in terms of the runs that he makes and the cool finishing would appear to be Cantwell. 

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just read the update on Teemu's injury on the main page. So, hopefully he'll be fit for Wolves on Saturday, but it got me thinking about what we should do if he doesn't make it.

The next cab off the rank as it were is Dennis Srbeny, but if we brought him in it seems to me that we would have to change our tactics quite radically as I just can't see Srbeny making the type of runs that Teemu does. 

We could bring in Adam Idah (great goal he scored for the U23s at the weekend), but to bring a youngster in for his League debut in a massively important Premier League game like this seems like a big ask.

If Teemu wasn't available the best like for like replacement in terms of the runs that he makes and the cool finishing would appear to be Cantwell. 

That crossed my mind after his class finish vs Everton, maybe even have Stiepermann up top, as I believe he used to play striker 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Really? You think it's too much to ask a youngster to play a game of football.

16 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Agree with this, he's a unit and there would be no pressure on him from the home support. 

If Pukki doesn't make it, throw him in..... tough on Dennis though. 

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

You wrote that? Really?

There are hundreds of thousands of youngsters who play a game of football every weekend - so, no, I don't think it's too much to ask a youngster to play a game of football.

But you know very well that wasn't what I was talking about!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

That crossed my mind after his class finish vs Everton, maybe even have Stiepermann up top, as I believe he used to play striker 

Good point - hadn't really considered Stiepermann - unfortunately he hasn't had his shooting boots on so far this season. Could be a good time to find them. 🙃

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Just read the update on Teemu's injury on the 

I agree it's a big ask, but I think Idah could do it, he has to make himself a nuisance to the defenders as he did for that goal. 

I think it would need to be Srbeny. It would boost his confidence, give him the proper chance he's waited a long time for, and why have him on the books if we would rather play midfielders as CF rather than him? His goal against Everton showed he's got something to give. It's a shame Drmic is out.

15 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I like ol' Stiep' but please god no.   

However, if needs must, I'll still be cheering the 9/10 shin rollers he dribbles at goal, in the hope that the 1/10 screamer he occasionally hits finds its way off his boot.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 1

Maybe Onel with Stiepermann or MacLean in the 10 role - his pace would frighten the life out of any defence.

3 minutes ago, Orly said:

I like ol' Stiep' but please god no.   

However, if needs must, I'll still be cheering the 9/10 shin rollers he dribbles at goal, in the hope that the 1/10 screamer he occasionally hits finds its way off his boot.

Stiepy took a while to find his scoring feet last season, but once he did, he was a very reliable shot maker and scorer. He will do that again, once he gets his goal scoring touch back.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Stiepy took a while to find his scoring feet last season, but once he did, he was a very reliable shot maker and scorer. He will do that again, once he gets his goal scoring touch back.

He won't if he isn't playing... Which he isn't just now!

Simply put, if we don't have Pukki available it'll be as disastrous as when we didn't have any CB's. The way Farke sets up is around Pukki. As we all know, his runs and intelligent movement are what keeps opposing defenders busy and enables chances for us. We simply don't have another forward player who can do this so we'd have to change our game reasonably dramatically.

Edited by BobLoz3

31 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

He won't if he isn't playing... Which he isn't just now!

Simply put, if we don't have Pukki available it'll be as disastrous as when we didn't have any CB's. The way Farke sets up is around Pukki. As we all know, his runs and intelligent movement are what keeps opposing defenders busy and enables chances for us. We simply don't have another forward player who can do this so we'd have to change our game reasonably dramatically.

This. Presumably Drmic's skillset was similar to Pukki's, hence the signing. As he's out of the equation, that really only leaves Idah or Srbeny. There's no way Stiepermann could deputise for Pukki and play the same role.

As to whether Idah could step up - I haven't seen enough of him to comment, but I'd rather the were tried than Stiepermann in this position.

20 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

This. Presumably Drmic's skillset was similar to Pukki's, hence the signing. As he's out of the equation, that really only leaves Idah or Srbeny. There's no way Stiepermann could deputise for Pukki and play the same role.

As to whether Idah could step up - I haven't seen enough of him to comment, but I'd rather the were tried than Stiepermann in this position.

Yes, I think from what I've seen of Drmic (predominantly YouTube) he has good movement, but perhaps prefers to be more of a 'predatory' striker, getting on the end of crosses and finishing from close range.

While Pukki can do that too, I always feel he looks most dangerous when running on to a through ball after his movement has pulled the defenders about all over the shop! Perhaps another reason we play through the centre a lot and don't get loads of crosses in. Whatever happens, my point still stands. We'd have to adapt our game quite a bit to accommodate a different striker.

Personally, I feel the fact that Srbeny gets in front of Idah when it comes to the squad I doubt we'd see the latter deputise (if needed).

Surely Idah is behind Denis in the selection stakes and has scored in the Prem not too long ago so I imagine he would be 1st choice replacement. That is what he is there for. To back up Teemu. To talk of putting Marco in his place is not what having reserve strikers is about.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely Idah is behind Denis in the selection stakes and has scored in the Prem not too long ago so I imagine he would be 1st choice replacement. That is what he is there for. To back up Teemu. To talk of putting Marco in his place is not what having reserve strikers is about.

Agree. You only need to look at who is making the bench and who isn't, to see who is next in line for a starting positinon, should the unthinkable happen to Teemu. Srbeny is ahead of Idah and Stieperman is backup / rotation / starter at number 10.

On 16/12/2019 at 21:22, Thirsty Lizard said:

You wrote that? Really?

There are hundreds of thousands of youngsters who play a game of football every weekend - so, no, I don't think it's too much to ask a youngster to play a game of football.

But you know very well that wasn't what I was talking about!

Some people think he'd be scared playing. 

He could be our own Wayne Rooney given the chance 

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

Some people think he'd be scared playing. 

He could be our own Wayne Rooney given the chance 

Farke and Webber have a great record with bringing our young players through... I'm sure if he was that talented he'd be ahead of Srbeny in the pecking order. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Championship side in January if we bring in Rhodes or another striker.

• Like 2

There's no point having Srbeny in the squad if you going to pick Cantwell or Stiepermann ahead of him. It won't happen. Pukki will play even if his toe is bandaged and he has to wear a size bigger boot on one foot.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Farke and Webber have a great record with bringing our young players through... I'm sure if he was that talented he'd be ahead of Srbeny in the pecking order. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go out on loan to a Championship side in January if we bring in Rhodes or another striker.

Sorry I bothered saying anything. You're obviously correct. 

3 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Sorry I bothered saying anything. You're obviously correct. 

What a strange attitude.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What a strange attitude.

Yeah, I get that alot from him.

The problem really is whilst I agree Srbeny would be the likely candidate, we would completely have to change how we attack. He isnt going to make the kind of runs Pukki does and he isnt going to have the sort of movement that naturally creates space for others.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, I get that alot from him.

The problem really is whilst I agree Srbeny would be the likely candidate, we would completely have to change how we attack. He isnt going to make the kind of runs Pukki does and he isnt going to have the sort of movement that naturally creates space for others.

Yeah, agree about Srbeny. Idah is faster and more mobile, but still pretty strong from what I've seen - certainly seems to have more weapons than Dennis, and I can see what @Ward 3 is getting at. But ultimately, if Farke thought he was ready he'd already be ahead of Srbeny... I can't wait to see the lad develop, but I think we might have to be patient. 

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

What a strange attitude.

It's just me my friend. Very strange 😂😂

1 hour ago, Ward 3 said:

It's just me my friend. Very strange 😂😂

Who would want to be normal anyway? I can't wait to see what Idah's made of either... I'm sure we will in 2020, whether that's with us or on loan.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Who would want to be normal anyway? I can't wait to see what Idah's made of either... I'm sure we will in 2020, whether that's with us or on loan.

Yep, having seen Idah since he was a 11/12 year old , would love to see him make it,  so much more so that hes at City. We had a lad that very  nearly made it  at Sunderland  a few years ago, given pro contract  at 18, but that was as far as he got, not playing professional footy now. Idah has progressed further than that lad, in as much that he's a regular at Ireland u21, but still a long way to go, that one small footstep over the touchline , into a regular  senior competitive  position  is a massive leap in standards, international u21, though competitive,  is still development  football. Look at Troy Parrot  at spurs, a year younger than idah, very well thought of , regular Ireland u21, CL U19 top scorer, penalty taker,bags of swagger,and a senior  , albeit friendly,start,has played  very little indeed for spurs seniors, making his senior debut as a sub when spurs were 5 nil up, so no pressure. I can see Idah being introduced as part of a front3, right or left, as opposed to dropping him in as main striker, less pressure. 

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Thanks 1