Who would you sell?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you sell?

• Teemu Pukki
    • Max Aarons
    • Emi Buendía
    • Todd Cantwell
    • Ben Godfrey

Let's assume that the board say they want to cash in on one of our most valuable players in order to strengthen the squad in January. The fee we receive will be enough to buy a 'like-for-like' replacement and a couple of other players in key positions. Which of the players above would you sell?

Edited by Feedthewolf

Assuming we get £50m, I'd happily cash in on Godfrey and buy a couple of other CBs who can actually defend set pieces.

• Like 1

I'd sell Emi Buendia.

The reason being that as he has such a long full name, we could purchase 'another Emi Buendia' and send him instead once we have received the multi millions. A bit like the US / UK deal involving London bridge.

Of course there is the small detail of medicals etc, but this time of year, dark nights, poor weather etc.

Think a like for like on Teemu is comfortably our very hardest replacement by a country mile. So it wouldn’t be him. 

I would have faith in Farke and Webber bringing in another good midfielder or defender though. But replacing Teemu on a budget I would deem near impossible.

On a serious note, it would have to be Max. 

I think his value is top dollar and we have a good replacement already at the club. Any other we then have a big problem on our hands.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Assuming we get £50m, I'd happily cash in on Godfrey and buy a couple of other CBs who can actually defend set pieces.

The problem at defending set pieces isn't much down to Godfrey though is it?

Hardly Godfrey's fault that The Mayor nodded off at the near post on Saturday for example. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Hardly Godfrey's fault that The Mayor nodded off at the near post on Saturday for example. 

No, not the Mayor’s fault either, this was down to the Norwich supporters acknowledging Madders by the corner flag

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Let's assume that the board say they want to cash in on one of our most valuable players in order to strengthen the squad in January. The fee we receive will be enough to buy a 'like-for-like' replacement and a couple of other players in key positions. Which of the players above would you sell?

Jamal Lewis? 

Tough question Wolfo,  I've plumped for max, mainly  because we have Sam Byram already who is proving decent and versatile,  I would also take the gamble of  letting him go for a little less than we could possibly squeeze out of someone, in exchange for a huge % sell on clause,  particularly if he went to the like of Everton,  Leicester  or wolves, as there is another level of silly money above them.

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Jamal Lewis? 

I'd deliberately left him out, as I guessed his value will have deteriorated due to being out injured plus the emergence of Byram. I'd say he's probably less valuable than the others right now, but with hindsight I should probably have included him.

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

A bit harsh, I seem to remember McLean getting up at the near post against Man City, all those multi million pound players defending a corner. It happens, let's not keep beating him up over it.

16 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

A bit harsh, I seem to remember McLean getting up at the near post against Man City, all those multi million pound players defending a corner. It happens, let's not keep beating him up over it.

Agree really - it was Petriix who started going on about Godfrey defending set pieces. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Agree with Petriix. Definitely Godfrey if the offer is anywhere above £20m.

Has Ben Godfrey stolen your girlfriend? 

I wouldn't sell Godfrey... Buendia would be my choice. Regarding the goal we conceded... The Mayor "fell asleep" , he was the one who should've picked up Vardy goal side! 

Buendia has been topsy turvy in a few games and we do have some other options in CM or on the wing. 

The case for Max is a good one too...we have a replacement and his value is high

Not really anyone's fault in a zonal marking system. You can't single a player out, as it relies on all those defending to do their jobs properly.

As for the OP... I'd rather not sell anyone!

Hoping we can retain our status in this league and then we likely won't have to. However, players may want to go and if we were to sell one in Jan I'd like it to be a scenario when we have the player loaned back to us (although not sure if it's possible to do). In this case, then I guess it's Max as we do have a decent replacement in Byram.

I can see Godfrey going in the summer regardless of what league we're in. Mainly because there's been a lot of noise around him going in the media, as opposed than the others.

From a practical perspective, I'd sell Emi- if we go down we're going to be struggling with the EFL homegrown player rules.

From a value perspective, I'd sell Aarons- I think we'd get a very good chunk for him and Byram looks more than capable of stepping up.

• Like 2

For me, Pukki is the player we will not be able to replace. Any others I would keep unless obscene money was offered. Godfrey, Aarons, Lewis, Buendia, Todd would not be going anywhere without at least bids of £50mil. 

28 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sell Max as we have an adequate replacement. Use the money to buy Bowen from Hull. We need a homegrown player who can score goals

I read somewhere Bowen is off to Leicester? Would be a shame if true, I think he would be perfect for us here.

18 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I read somewhere Bowen is off to Leicester? Would be a shame if true, I think he would be perfect for us here.

Do you think that he'll get a game at Leicester?

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

Not a clue. Don't know all that much about Leicester to be honest  

I'm just not sure that we'd spend the money required in a position that Emi holds and Roberts can't get a game. 

On 16/12/2019 at 17:19, Feedthewolf said:

Can't remember, did all of these sign new contracts last summer, so they all have good 'sell-on value', subject of course to any (Santa) clauses in their contracts.

Re: Bowen - if I were him or his agent, and he wanted to move, I'm afraid Norwich wouldn't be top of the list - contract-wise, he could easily ask for £30k a week and a fee of £20m+, which would immediately rule us out.

• Like 1

Biggest return on fee in and ease to replace is probably Max,  esp with Byram already at the club and Lewis taking the left flank.  

For me Godfrey & Emi are the two who are likely to improve the most over the next 18 months in terms of untapped potential to develop and therefore increase yet further in value.   Godfrey is the harder one  to replace,  with so few decent young centre backs about (potentially the carlisle 17 yo?) while emerging midfielders are out there.

Pukki would cost us a fortune to replace,  but his price wont be any higher than at the next couple of windows so cashing in now may make sense,  even if getting a replacement may be difficult.

Todd is harder for me to assess - he is still improving but how much more is there  to go?  As with Emi finding an alternative is relatively easier than with a striker or cb.

If I had to lose one right now it would probably be Todd or Max,  ideally I would keep hold of them all

Edited by ZLF

17 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Can't remember, did all of these sign new contracts last summer, so they all have good 'sell-on value', subject of course to any (Santa) clauses in their contracts.

Re: Bowen - if I were him or his agent, and he wanted to move, I'm afraid Norwich wouldn't be top of the list - contract-wise, he could easily ask for £30k a week and a fee of £20m+, which would immediately rule us out.

I can't see him costing £20m- he's only got 18 months left on his contract at this point and in the summer he'll be in his final year. 

Also there is no way £30k a week should rule us out.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I can't see him costing £20m- he's only got 18 months left on his contract at this point and in the summer he'll be in his final year. 

The reported fee touted earlier in the week was £10m. I would love him here as I think he could play anywhere across the front four and he takes a mean free kick as well.

I think he'd have the potential to be a regular starter as well, which might attract him. And presumably we still have the unspent Maurice money available.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Can't see it being £10m, would we sell Buendia for that?

I'm not close enough to the numbers, but I'd question if we have anyone on more than £30k a week - maybe Krul or Klose?  Webber's well-used mantra about not paying over the odds and over-committing us for the future (a la Naismith) has seen to that. 

Whether we SHOULD be paying more in order to compete in the EPL is another question...

7 minutes ago, Woodman said:

Can't see it being £10m, would we sell Buendia for that?

I'm not close enough to the numbers, but I'd question if we have anyone on more than £30k a week - maybe Krul or Klose?  Webber's well-used mantra about not paying over the odds and over-committing us for the future (a la Naismith) has seen to that. 

Whether we SHOULD be paying more in order to compete in the EPL is another question...

According to a quick google the average Premier League wage was £50k back in 2017. I'd be shocked if none of our players are on £30k at this point. I'd expect that anyone who is has a significant wage drop if we go down though.

I'm not sure what your point is regarding Buendia- we're a Premier League club right now and Buendia just signed a 5 year deal this summer. Bowen will be in his final year come the summer and Hull are a midtable Championship side. While I don't think £10m is likely, I wonder if something started at that level with an extra chunk being paid if we stay up might tempt Hull at this point.