lappinitup

Is Tim Krul our best keeper - EVER?

This must be a joke thread?? Is this for real?

I think Krul has been our best player this season but that said we have left him exposed and therefore he is always going to make many more saves. For all his fantastic displays has he really played so well this season that has kept a number of clean sheets by a sole effort himself - the answer is no. We have two clean sheets all season which is deeply concerning.

Last year he was a liability and mistake prone beyond the average and cost us more points than he saved us. Conceding penalties, terrible with the ball at his feet.

The reason we went up is due to our ability to outscore teams, not due to defensive stability.

I would take Henderson from Sheff Utd any day over Krul. I don’t think Krul would get in many other Prem teams, less than five for sure. Every time the opposition attack we look likely to concede and we have conceded the second most goals from corners - again a top keeper would be on top of this even with zonal marking.   How can our best ever keeper have so many few clean sheets? I suppose it’s defences fault - yet Godfrey and Aarons linked to Big Four - whose been linked with Krul. It’s a shame as at Newcastle he looked destined for world greatness but injury and form finished him at the top level. That’s the reality.

This thread is an embarrassment quite frankly of opinions forged from Radio Norfolk listeners.

Not the best, but he's become a major influence in the team and I really like him. When you look at it, our most consistent performers both came in for free, Krul and Pukki. This kinda debags the demand to spend money a little bit. We just need to keep being smart.

On 15/12/2019 at 18:45, East Rider said:

Not sure why 'Angus ' had been moderated. I thought he was quite good :classic_biggrin:

You probably missed the 'g' out.

Edit: Damn... somebody already suggested this! 🤣

Edited by BobLoz3

9 hours ago, CanaryLegend said:

I think Krul has been our best player this season but that said we have left him exposed and therefore he is always going to make many more saves. For all his fantastic displays has he really played so well this season that has kept a number of clean sheets by a sole effort himself - the answer is no. We have two clean sheets all season which is deeply concerning.

Last year he was a liability and mistake prone beyond the average and cost us more points than he saved us. Conceding penalties, terrible with the ball at his feet.

The reason we went up is due to our ability to outscore teams, not due to defensive stability.

I would take Henderson from Sheff Utd any day over Krul. I don’t think Krul would get in many other Prem teams, less than five for sure. Every time the opposition attack we look likely to concede and we have conceded the second most goals from corners - again a top keeper would be on top of this even with zonal marking.   How can our best ever keeper have so many few clean sheets? I suppose it’s defences fault - yet Godfrey and Aarons linked to Big Four - whose been linked with Krul. It’s a shame as at Newcastle he looked destined for world greatness but injury and form finished him at the top level. That’s the reality.

This thread is an embarrassment quite frankly of opinions forged from Radio Norfolk listeners.

Never one of Krul's biggest fans but even I think this is harsh! Nowhere near our top 5 Keepers in my opinion, but still one of our most improved players this season and I can't think of too many goals conceded so far this year that I would expect a keeper to save (unlike last season, when there were dozens). It's true he doesn't dominate his 6 yard box as he could, but his handling has been much better - tricky saves made at Everton and Leicester got us points.

In reality would "in their prime" Keelan, Woods, Green, either Gunn or Ruddy have won us more points this season? Probably not, because our back four are not very good defenders - but this message board won't let the facts get in the way of bigging up our "youngsters"......

No I agree he has improved massively this year and as I say this year maybe our best and most consistent performer but a long way off our best ever keeper. As you said not on top 5

On 15/12/2019 at 20:06, Yellow Wal said:

By far the best I saw was Keelan .................. but it's a much different game nowadays and keeper have to be good with their feet now and be aware enough to play out from the back. How the King could have adapted goodness only knows. I remember a rule change a few years ago which turned Bosnich from being a very good keeper to a complete flop.

What Yellow said.

But we have had some exceptionally good keepers over the years and it was a fantastic bit of business by Webber/Farke to pick Krul when they did - very important player for us and but for that injury think he would be at a top 6 club now.

In the last 10, 20 even 30 years we've not had many better in goal. Maybe none.

• Like 1

I think everyone is forgetting the legendary Lee Camp, a truly memorable keeper and hair bun. 

Loved Keelan but he was always kept busy during our early years in Division One. I always felt Woods was weak on crosses but with Watson and Bruce in front of him it didn't seem so apparent. Gunn and Green were good shotstoppers rather than all round goalkeepers, as for Krul, his best years were elsewhere but, based our budget last year he's been a brilliant signing. 

On 17/12/2019 at 07:46, CanaryLegend said:

Totally disagree. Last season by the end he was as good as anyone. He started poorly but significantly improved as match fitness returned. 

As for "best ever" - not for me. I consider John Ruddy a better keeper, and that's before you consider Gunn, Keelan, Woods etc 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2019 at 07:46, CanaryLegend said:

Krul wasn't a liability last season. He struggled when first coming back, a little, but nothing more than that.

On 18/12/2019 at 09:38, Terminally Yellow said:

Totally disagree. Last season by the end he was as good as anyone. He started poorly but significantly improved as match fitness returned. 

As for "best ever" - not for me. I consider John Ruddy a better keeper, and that's before you consider Gunn, Keelan, Woods etc 

Agree, apart from I don't think Ruddy is or ever was better than Krul

To be fair to Tim Krul, he came to us at a low point in his career and we were probably not that exciting a destination for him, he took a punt on us and we took a punt on him, it seems to be working very nicely for both parties. His Penalty antics will make him one of the least favourite keepers for takers to face, on his reputation alone. Added to that his penalty saves are mounting up and he's quite a formidable opponent from the spot. Hes a total WUM for opposition players , gives plenty of direction to the defence, and his all round game is improving. I hope he's happy at City and until someone better comes along he's good enough.