lappinitup

Is Tim Krul our best keeper - EVER?

I loved Keelan's amazing reflex saves and passion - but he was prone to the odd mistake.....

Woods was pure class and went on to play for England....

Gunny - well he was Gunny, great keeper.

But I think Tim Krul is up there with them. The way he controls the area and helps the young kids in front of him, very agile, catches the ball rather than punching it away most of the time, and his distribution is always good. Oh, and he can save penalties.

I think if we can stay in this division for another couple of seasons, he will become a legend.

What do you think?

1 minute ago, lappinitup said:

I loved Keelan's amazing reflex saves and passion - but he was prone to the odd mistake.....

Woods was pure class and went on to play for England....

Gunny - well he was Gunny, great keeper.

But I think Tim Krul is up there with them. The way he controls the area and helps the young kids in front of him, very agile, catches the ball rather than punching it away most of the time, and his distribution is always good. Oh, and he can save penalties.

I think if we can stay in this division for another couple of seasons, he will become a legend.

What do you think?

I think he's nowhere near that level personally. He's been very good overall in the 18 months he's been with us, but still makes a fair few mistakes (the one he dropped onto the post yesterday nearly cost us, for example). He's been a very positive influence on the team undoubtedly, but to put him in the same categories as the likes of Keelan and Gunn is hugely premature.

I'd be interested to hear what some of our more 'experienced' fans feel about this; I'd have loved to have watched Keelan in his prime, and of course there's Nethercott even further back in time, not to mention Marshall, Green and Ruddy in more recent times. Forster and Angus were both brilliant for us for a season too, but until you've done it continuously for a number of years I don't see how you can be in that top echelon really.

I think it's impossible to compare Goalies from different eras, but we've usually had good keepers. You have to feel sorry for Keelan's understudy - Keelan wouldn't train all week and would still crawl onto the pitch and play.

I think what can be said is that Krul fits with our plan of finding underpriced gems. We took a punt on him and it's paid off.

1 minute ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I think it's impossible to compare Goalies from different eras, but we've usually had good keepers. You have to feel sorry for Keelan's understudy - Keelan wouldn't train all week and would still crawl onto the pitch and play.

I think what can be said is that Krul fits with our plan of finding underpriced gems. We took a punt on him and it's paid off.

Absolutely agree with this. In so many areas we've been given far better than we have an entitlement to expect with such a meagre budget. Considering we had a brilliant loan player in Angus for Farke's first season, getting someone of that pedigree on a permanent deal was outstanding business. He took a while to get up to speed, but since he did he's been great. Long may it continue.

I was thinking yesterday how good Tim Krul has been for us however, that thought has been enhanced possibly by the penalty saves he has made.

The furthest I can go back is to Keelan, and he was an icon for us in the days players stayed much longer at clubs. The saying is with him that he was the best keeper never to play for the national team. 

In shear ability wise it is very difficult but I thought **** Gunn and Fraiser Forster for the short periods they were with us were superb.

However, you should really look at them over a longer period and with that in mind I would put Chris Woods right up there along with Bryan Gunn.

Gunn was a man who like Tim Krul did not take any cr4p of any team no matter how famous or big they were. And that gave us confidence.

Robert Green was a favourite of mine, and if not for that mistake could have had more caps for England perhaps.

We have often had good keepers and at the moment Tim Krul could turn out to be one of the very best. Keep it up Tim.

Hes very good but not sure against those comparisons.

He is certainly a better GK than Ruddy, for example. In my opinion, of course.

8 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Maybe they thought you called him an A-n-u-s ? 😀

We have had a few I would have used that to describe them, that's for sure

Good yes, but hey, come on, he is not even close to being our best ever.

Nethercott, Kenyon, Keelan, Woods, Green, Gunn, Ruddy would be in my list ahead Krul.

By far the best I saw was Keelan .................. but it's a much different game nowadays and keeper have to be good with their feet now and be aware enough to play out from the back. How the King could have adapted goodness only knows. I remember a rule change a few years ago which turned Bosnich from being a very good keeper to a complete flop.

Keelan and Woods for me although Krul has been superb this season, he has upped his performances this season measurably over last. Best ever no, but very happy to have him and definitely prem quality. 

47 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I remember a rule change a few years ago which turned Bosnich from being a very good keeper to a complete flop.

Was it a ban on cocaine? 

• Haha 2

There's already been a poll on this on the readnorwich.com site.

The % anomaly reflects the voting system used whereby each keeper was pitched directly against the other and a preference required..

Result:-

Kevin Keelan 86%
 Bryan Gunn 73%
 Chris Woods 68%
 John Ruddy 51%
 Rob Green 49%
 Angus Gunn 37%
 Sandy Kennon 30%
 Fraser Forster 26%
 Tim Krul 18%
 Ken Nethercott 14%
 David Marshall 11%
 Andy Marshall 5%

In fairness to Tim KruI I believe it might have carried out before this season and his almost faultless display thus far. Ken Nethercott would be before most voters time I should imagine. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

Gunn was not that good but him play so many games for us on amazing period especially 88-92

I still have VHS record with our lost 4-0 away at Spurs 89-90 season i think was and Gunn was shocking this game !

Also we always ended with minus Goal difference even we ended 3rd 4th etc lol.

He was OK and is legend coz  played around 400 games on great period for us but  never been very good imo.

I think Krul is crucial for us because of his experience. We have a back four with an average ages of what, 22? He is the wise old (relatively!) head who keeps them on track, and with a different keeper I believe we would have concede many more. Which is probably the major reason why we haven’t seen Fahrmann take Tim’s place.

He had a dodgy beginning which was meat and drink to those needing a scapegoat for the team's indifferent start to the campaign.

Their views took some shifting despite Krul's eventual and vital contribution to the cause. Every minor slip-up, common to all 'keepers, was consequently pounced upon and magnified with unseemly glee.

They have been well and truly silenced regarding TK, who has been replaced by of a whole line of culprits, which, with the exception of Krul himself and Teemu Pukki, seems to have included the whole of the rest of the squad.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Gunn Senior for me. I never watched Keelan, and Chris Woods, whilst I was watching football, I was very young and don't really recall. Gunny was fantastic, if he hadn't got injured, we would not have got relegated first time round.

Krul is good - better than we could really expect at our level / budget - but he's not been good enough to be considered in that bracket.

Edited by All the Germans

16 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

By far the best I saw was Keelan .................. but it's a much different game nowadays and keeper have to be good with their feet now and be aware enough to play out from the back. How the King could have adapted goodness only knows. I remember a rule change a few years ago which turned Bosnich from being a very good keeper to a complete flop.

I agree, trouble is time plays trick. I always seem to recall that when he dived he always collected the ball. Today’s keepers tend to palm it out, often to the opposition.

But as you say, playing out from the back is so different these days, just look at Joe Harts career after Man City found him not able to do that well enough for them.

I think Ruddy is much underrated by us, one of the most solid keepers I think we have had and did not look our of place in the top division at all. I think ability wise he is top two for me.

Always had a soft spot for Gunn (snr) but I think Gunn (jnr) is rated higher than his performances warranted because of the family connection to the club. If he had come in without that I think we would have considered him to be a good keeper but not top draw.

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Kevin Keelan all day long. 673 games says all you need to know.

Just about to post the same message