Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

'Gave himself a good talking to'!

Recommended Posts

Although I've lived in Norfolk all my life I'm sure there are many posters who are far more knowledgeable of the dialect and unusual 'sayings' than me. One I do know, though, is the subject of this post. For those still bemused, it basically means recognizing when one has done wrong and verbally promising to make amends (or words to that effect)!

Quite how that translates into the Argentinian tongue I've no idea but clearly (and not before time), the boy Buendia has realised that he needs to do precisely what this post says. I must admit to have all but given up on him not so much for individual mistakes (Godfrey and Trybull were just as guilty as him over 'that goal' Watford scored but somehow escaped admonishment it seemed) but for examples of outright petulance which have no place at our club where 'togetherness' was the undoubted quality that sprung us to that fabulous promotion last season.

 Example 1 - when he was subbed v Watford it was bad enough that Buendia ignored his manager and the teammate coming on but then stormed down the tunnel landing a deliberate kick on one of the internal doors in the players tunnel.

Example 2 - he came on at Everton for final few minutes in that great win. Upon final whistle he quickly stripped off his shirt and went straight down the tunnel whilst all the other players and all the coaching staff came over to join in with us celebrating Yellows.

Make no mistake these are instances of outright petulance and that boil had to be lanced. Imagine then my surprise and real pleasure at his behaviour yesterday. The Buendia song boomed out on several occasions and maybe it was just that which made him stop and think but what we saw was him wave to us on two or three occasions as he was subbed and left the field in a proper, professional manner with dignity intact. After final whistle he came over with the rest of the heroes and milked the richly deserved adulation. He responded accordingly.  

If he has 'given himself a good talking to' (or someone else has!) then I would like to eat some humble pie and say 'Welcome back Emi' and 'Happy Christmas'. If this change in his manner and behaviour is real then that vastly improves our chances of staying up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to think that if there was a problem with Emi's attitude then he wouldn't be in the team - Farke tends not to tolerate that. Can only assume he trains well and seems to put the effort in on the pitch even if it hasn't gone as well as we would have liked for him this season.

His through ball to Pukki yesterday was equisite and we are going to need more of that if we are to survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most talented players we have had in many a year. And without stereotyping, the Latin temperament, while not one we are used to, does show passion and maybe is what makes so many of them such good players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting upset when you are substituted / had a bad game is not a sign of a bad attitude, it's a sign of someone who is frustrated with the situation and wants to 'win'. I have no problem with that, as long as the reaction is only in that moment and afterwards, he is not being petulant. However, I agree that not coming over to the fans is not good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having Emi back on side and in form is a bloody good thing as far as I'm concerned! Set Teemu racing through with a perfect through ball against Leicester (something those two did so frequently last season) and almost got a nice win at the end, again with Teemu being found by an Emi ball.

However, he did still show little flashes of his temperament by getting booked for punching the ball away after a decision had gone in Leicester's favour and not ours. To be fair, it's probably exactly the same thing I'd do and I haven't got a single bit of Latin blood in me! He, however, does need to reign it in a bit on that side and just focus on his game. If that's the case and he can continue to do that then we will benefit.

Let's just hope the nonsense about him signing for Villa is purely nonsense and that this improvement in form hasn't been because another team were losing interest!

Edited by BobLoz3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Emi on form is one of the key things that could keep us up. Teemu is probably the player we can least afford to lose, without Emi it will be very hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

He’s still 5th in the PL assists table despite not playing as much recently.

Yep, and by way of comparison, the four above him are Kevin De Bruyne, Son Heung-Min, David Silva and Trent Alexander-Arnold.

I've posted this link on another thread, but it's a great insight into the mentality of Buendía-style players, who are known in Argentina as pibehttps://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/cult-pibe. Jonathan Wilson's book Angels With Dirty Faces is also a great Christmas present for the football savant in your life: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Angels-Dirty-Faces-Footballing-Argentina/dp/1409126943/ (other online retailers are available).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most worrying part of his game this season hasn’t been the “overt” petulance mentioned in the OP or the overplaying and losing it in dangerous positions. It’s the lack of tracking back, lack of effort and seeing disinterest/irritation when he doesn’t get passed to. I don’t really mind if a player is upset at being subbed and in this team there will be times when individuals overplay in dangerous positions because that’s how we play. 
 

As for “give yourself a good talking to” - I’m fairly sure that’s a nationwide saying, not just Norfolk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Having Emi back on side and in form is a bloody good thing as far as I'm concerned! Set Teemu racing through with a perfect through ball against Leicester (something those two did so frequently last season) and almost got a nice win at the end, again with Teemu being found by an Emi ball.

However, he did still show little flashes of his temperament by getting booked for punching the ball away after a decision had gone in Leicester's favour and not ours. To be fair, it's probably exactly the same thing I'd do and I haven't got a single bit of Latin blood in me! He, however, does need to reign it in a bit on that side and just focus on his game. If that's the case and he can continue to do that then we will benefit.

Let's just hope the nonsense about him signing for Villa is purely nonsense and that this improvement in form hasn't been because another team were losing interest!

He needs to see the Shrink that Arsene Wenger  sent Ian Wright to. Wright was prone to the same kind of reactions as Emi,  getting shirty with refs and getting ' too involved' in what should be  professional battles on the pitch.  His whole manner changed after his                 ' treatment ', still just as competitive but happy and a lot less volatile hence less yellows, some would say he was a better player altogether for it.

Edited by wcorkcanary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

He needs to see the Shrink that Arsene Wenger  sent Ian Wright to. Wright was prone to the same kind of reactions as Emi,  getting shirty with refs and getting ' too involved' in what should be  professional battles on the pitch.  His whole manner changed after his                 ' treatment ', still just as competitive but happy and a lot less volatile hence less yellows, some would say he was a better player altogether for it.

I was thinking something similar but wondering how much the language barrier should matter. Depends on how technical it gets I guess. And there’s the question whether Emi needs that passion to play as he does - if you nullify it, does that blunt his skill?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I was thinking something similar but wondering how much the language barrier should matter. Depends on how technical it gets I guess. And there’s the question whether Emi needs that passion to play as he does - if you nullify it, does that blunt his skill?

It didn't do Ian Wright  any harm,  maybe even helped him focus.  I have no idea what the  treatment  consisted of, so maybe just having an interpreter may solve that, or there may be someone similarly qualified that is Spanish/ Agentinian if it involves hypnotherapy  etc. I dunno,  just feel that there is so much more to come from Emi,  as when he's on his game, he is superb .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia was much better on Saturday but there were still a fair few occasions where he lost the ball and then failed to track back or try to win it back. His first reaction always seems to be to throw his arms up in the air or sit on his **** rather than trying to win it back.

if you watch the greatest players eg Messi that is what they do so often and it’s how Ronaldo Improved his game even further after leaving Man U.

He’s a great player but by improving that he could be a brilliant one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×