markf1

Leicester goal

14 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

No  he wasn't , the ball only has to overhang the line, which it did.  The goal was 100% down to poor defending,  not ball placement.  Let it go guys , there was no issue in reality,  just in green and yellow  land. If we get relegated on gd, then this goal will still not be to blame. Defending  set pieces,  we're currently second worst in the league at defending  corners,  will be the culprit. 

Do people not actually read other's postings or do they deliberately misinterpret them to suit their agenda?

Not one person in this thread has claimed that the goal resulted directly from ball placement. Nobody.

What some have asserted, including myself, is that rules are rules and it is important that they be adhered to.

In the case of the corner quadrant issue, if the  official's view need be from the Moon in order to  to judge when these rules are broken then something is wrong.

We can all bring out our magnifying glasses (whether yellow and green tinted or not) and opine about millimetres and it will probably result in constant disagreement but it does seem that the current rule encourages the taker to constantly stretch the limits of the law.

I repeat, I cannot see the advantage of these extra inches but there must be some perceived gain as they all seem to do it, whereas in days gone by it never seemed to be an issue.

It seems to be getting commonplace without much  interference from the officials .

Where will it end? Give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Maddison's kick may or may not have been an infringement (AM's freeze frame suggests it was) but you can bet your bottom dollar that, with the way things are going, there will have been many other totally illegal corner kicks taken over the week-end without penalty, some may have led to goals.

Finally, if VAR is to be loved it need be precise on ALL matters of the law and not just paper thin off-side decisions and those related to Max Aarons' right kneecap.

The point made above that this is a trivial matter compared with  the constant rule breaking by players feigning injuries and time wasting etc. is a good one but you have to start somewhere and decisions about line placement are a relatively easy thing to start with.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Leicester had 12 corners, can't remember but probably all taken by Maddison.

And no doubt he would have placed the ball on the same spot for each one.

Maybe he did when he played for us.

Presumably the 11 that didn't result in a goal we're acceptable

People need to get over this minor incident and concentrate on the real issues like our defending

Soften your cough Broado, the thread title is Leicester goal, not     ' what Broado thinks  about petty infringements of the rules'.  I've  noticed your posts are grumpier in the morning,  why is that? Wish I could hang around to chat but I've heard there are plenty sea bass running and its light enough to fish so byeee.

51 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Leicester had 12 corners, can't remember but probably all taken by Maddison.

And no doubt he would have placed the ball on the same spot for each one.

Maybe he did when he played for us.

Presumably the 11 that didn't result in a goal we're acceptable

People need to get over this minor incident and concentrate on the real issues like our defending

Perhaps you can post a little list telling people what they should and should not post about then.

"I've  noticed your posts are grumpier in the morning,  why is that?"

I wouldn't know, especially as I'm GMT +8 at the moment. Perhaps it's the heat. Perhaps I need a Tiger in my tank.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The advantage gained -the reason they do it - is probably psychological as they know how much it can wind up the oppo fans! 

most of whom have no way to accurately  tell if the ball’s overhanging the line or not ...

Rules is rules.... if not enforced then everyone will cheat at throw ins (oops) and penalties (oops) - well you know what I mean.... they did stamp out free kick abuse with the magic foam. 

On 16/12/2019 at 04:36, Petriix said:

Back to the original post... 

The same as for crossing any other line on the pitch (particularly obvious for goals given using goal line technology) the ball is 'in' the quadrant if any part of the ball is breaking the vertical plane of any part of the line. It's possibly a little too difficult to explain to most football fans so officials tend to insist that some part of the ball is actually touching the line, but that is not obligated by the rules. It also doesn't help that from the angle of the fans behind the kicker, a clear gap between ball and line can be visible while the ball is legally 'in' the quadrant. I'm not sure where people are getting the alternative interpretation from.

All of this can be simply solved with technology. We just need to change the rules so that it’s the center line of the ball that counts, and put a high precision receiver / transmitter into it, and then allow the crowd to track it in real time on their Paddy Power app and 5G network cell phone.

There problem is solved, no more controversies - of course an additional benefit is getting real time stats for ball velocity, spin and all sorts of other metadata to analyze how good the top EPL teams are and why it’s the worlds best league.

Edited by Surfer

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

All of this can be simply solved with technology. We just need to change the rules so that it’s the center line of the ball that counts, and put a high precision receiver / transmitter into it, and then allow the crowd to track it in real time on their Paddy Power app and 5G network cell phone.

There problem is solved, no more controversies - of course an additional benefit is getting real time stats for ball velocity, spin and all sorts of other metadata to analyze how good the top EPL teams are and why it’s the worlds best league.

I (almost) totally agree. Precision tracking technology could be used to instantly rule on all offside and corners/throws etc. When a free kick is awarded, lights could precisely mark the spot to place the ball and project a 10 yard circle around it. Any opposition player still in the circle 5 seconds later (or deliberately entering it, touching the ball etc) could be automatically booked.

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I (almost) totally agree. Precision tracking technology could be used to instantly rule on all offside and corners/throws etc. When a free kick is awarded, lights could precisely mark the spot to place the ball and project a 10 yard circle around it. Any opposition player still in the circle 5 seconds later (or deliberately entering it, touching the ball etc) could be automatically booked.

Maybe we could dial up the science fiction aspect and start using Roboref. 

As I see it there are various minor rule infractions that go on in football all the time and are often not picked up by the officials, and the last thing we want now is for these to be picked up all the time or checked by VAR where they make no difference to the outcome.

Such as

Free kicks not taken from exactly the right place

Throw ins where the player moves a few yards up the pitch while preparing to take the throw

Players not being 10 yards back when a free kick is taken, or being slow to get back.

Foul throws where the ball is not properly taken back above the head.

Corners not placed properly within the D when taken.

All of these mostly make no difference, but it's up to the Ref to pick up when they do, e.g. making a player move back before taking a throw or booking a player who over-does it when not getting 10 yards back from a free kick.

The risk if these are picked up every time is that the game would be stopped a lot more and if VAR was applied it would become completely farcical e.g. if a goal was disallowed because the move started with a throw in a few yards away from the correct place.  It would end up being like rugby where it seems play is being stopped all the time for infractions where the crowd have no idea what has actually been done wrong and even the commentators on TV with replays are struggling to work out the decision the ref has made.

With VAR I think it would be better for it to focus more on major incorrect decisions, not getting even more picky about trivial infractions which make no difference to the outcome (as here).  It's bad enough as it is !

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

With VAR I think it would be better for it to focus more on major incorrect decisions, not getting even more picky about trivial infractions which make no difference to the outcome (as here).  It's bad enough as it is !

What I was proposing was for these things to be enforced in real time which would actually speed the game up by eliminating the need for the ref to mark the position of the wall and preventing the time wasting you see at every free kick where players deliberately get in the way or grab the ball. But I concur with your point. We definitely don't want any unnecessary nitpicking, additional delays or retrospective enforcement of minor infringements. 

I don't disagree that it would be better for VAR to focus on major decisions as otherwise everything has to be checked. I also don't disagree that in reality that "inch" made no difference to the outcome.

But nor did Aarons infringement against Arsenal, he would have cleared that ball regardless of whether or not he'd had his toes on the line and his upper body inside the box at the point the penalty was taken.

So really the point here for me (if one assumes it was outside) is that you can't have some goals being ruled out for technical infringements which are checked for by VAR and then have others standing despite technical infringements because "there was no real advantage gained." You either have to say that VAR is not going to check all of these things or that VAR is going to check everything otherwise unfairness will arise.

Its not even been clarified as to whether VAR checked it has it?

As to the rule itself, this "overhanging" the line nonsense is not, as far as I am aware (although happy to be corrected) actually in the rules is it? My understanding is that its an interpretation that has evolved, possibly drawing on the same principles as with the goal line (i.e. whole ball has to be over the goal line for the ball to be in the goal or out of play) rather than expressly stated in the rules. The rules actually say that the ball has to be "in" the quadrant and I simply don't see how in any rational sense it can be claimed that the ball was "in" the quadrant when Maddison took that corner. I find it incredibly hard to believe that a throw in would not have been given if that was the touchline and the ball bounced in an equivalent position. So in my view the rule should be clarified and the ball needs to be on the line at worst.

• Like 1