Sign in to follow this  
mccanary

Defenders

How can our young and talented defence be worth the sums of money being bandied about when they cant defend ?? 

Discuss ! 

Anything, or anyone in this case, is worth what someone will pay, no more or less. On the plus side,  our young defenders were part of an exciting team that stormed the Championship playing attractive football,  two of them are English, they have shown skill in attack and they are still learning and growing. On the negative side, they are 3/4 of a defence that ships a lot of goals (note: this is not the same as "they can't defend"). If there were no negatives they would be worth even more, but even with them, the positives add up to a high valuation. 

2 hours ago, mccanary said:

How can our young and talented defence be worth the sums of money being bandied about when they cant defend ?? 

Discuss ! 

English, puts a 1 in front of any value 

Defenders?.......I have a very reliable 3 year old Land Rover Defender that I potter around my vast estate in......albeit, it's a council house estate.....

Anyway, table don't lie and it was imperative to address our goals conceded well over a season ago. But our ability to 'score more than you' cancelled out our conceding goals......The step up to the Prem has exacerbated our problems - and although we've had those unfortunate injuries, I still think we'd be struggling at the nether regions of this league.....Even in the January transfer window, it may be a little to late and we would be paying over the excessive odds for a decent centre half in a vain attempt to survive..... 

3 hours ago, mccanary said:

Discuss ! 

You've answered your own question. They're worth a lot of money because they're young and talented. 

• Like 1

The 50m banded about does seem a crazy figure for BG but I hope we do attain somthing like and then there can be real investment in strengthening. 

11 minutes ago, Chumino said:

The 50m banded about does seem a crazy figure for BG but I hope we do attain somthing like and then there can be real investment in strengthening. 

It only seems crazy until you realise that Adam Webster went from Bristol City to Brighton for £22 million. Webster is three years older than Godfrey, had never played Premier League football before that move (and of course was so bang average that he'd played for Ipswich for two seasons). 

Godfrey has already captained England U21s and is playing week in week out in the most competitive league in world football having impressed massively the season before in The Championship. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Who remembers defenders of the earth? Loved that cartoon.

And the award for random post of the day goes to....

🤣

19 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

You've answered your own question. They're worth a lot of money because they're young and talented. 

But are they talented defenders based on their apparent inability to defend ?

Our defensive record over two seasons,  even allowing for the injuries,  has been atrocious.  

Should we sell the lot and purchase slightly less talented players who can defend? 

23 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Next time we’re defending a set piece I’m pretty sure there will be more than just our four defenders in the penalty area

I don’t think it’s just set pieces. In open play they individually get caught out at times.

However, the main reason we don’t defend well is not down to any one individual. It’s because we”re too open, there are too many gaps across the whole field and too much space between the lines. Against Man City, okay we still conceded twice, but we looked pretty solid - the full backs stayed back and tucked in tighter and there was very little space between the defence and the midfield. Defensively in that game, we set up like a side ready to park the bus - the difference was that we actually played some pretty good football to get out from the back and cause Man City problems.

Likewise with set pieces - chances are most goals conceded from set pieces are because of either a lack of practice on the training field or a lack of organisation/leadership on the pitch. 

I think put any one of  the three young defenders into another side’s defence with more experienced pros around them, perhaps a side who plays more compact, perhaps a coaching staff with more defensive nouse, and they’d look better than they do currently. It’s exciting and a credit to our academy/scouting staff, but also perhaps our “problem”, that we’ve got three young lads without that experience in at the same time.

Their age, Godfrey’s ball playing ability and Aarons’ threat going forward (and Lewis’ to a lesser extent) are where their value lies.

Edited by Aggy

It’s a strange one op on the face of it. What we have is young raw English defenders and in the case of our two full backs the important position of 2 attacking full backs. What we don’t have is the squad to finish their development. IE this development will reach its peak in 2 - 3 seasons Time probably meaning if we want to finish their development it will cost us a Relegation ( that is not a criticism of them, as I said they will reach the top ).

In the case of Godfrey lots of people are talking about him being a future England captain. These people know far more about football than me, and it is not just one club. He will also develop quicker playing / training alongside the likes of Kane, Ali or Maguire ( to name but a few ). 

With our full backs, in the modern game to get to the top, you need to be attacking full backs. With us if they lose the ballup the pitch it often results in a goal. If they were at Spurs for instance if they lost the ball in the same position, there would be class players to win it back. That would make their job easier for a start and they could express themselves.

So what in my opinion you are buying is the article that you finish up with, not the one we see that still needs the finishing touches.

5 hours ago, mccanary said:

But are they talented defenders based on their apparent inability to defend ?

Our defensive record over two seasons,  even allowing for the injuries,  has been atrocious.  

Should we sell the lot and purchase slightly less talented players who can defend? 

It really hasn't been - that's ridiculous hyperbole. We had the 7th best defensive record in the Championship last season.

We've been through this on this board hundreds of times - we play in a quite open way which means that our defence gets less protection from the midfield than a lot of other teams and also we rely on our full backs to get forward a lot which can leave us open to the counter attack on occasions. 

In answer to your question - no, I'm not in favour of selling talented players and replacing them with less talented players. 

• Like 1

"You've got to give a lot of credit to Norwich defensively, they were well organised, they were putting their bodies on the line".

The words of Radio 5 live summariser Andy Reid after today's game. 

33 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

"You've got to give a lot of credit to Norwich defensively, they were well organised, they were putting their bodies on the line".

The words of Radio 5 live summariser Andy Reid after today's 

We played really well today and I'm happy to be proved wrong! 

OTBC.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2019 at 13:44, Chumino said:

No offence to Ben, but if someone is prepared to offer half of that, I’ll help him pack so we can invest some cash in our defence.

Given how well we perform, the decision to not invest at the back looks more and more stupid with every passing game.  Insane.

16 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

No offence to Ben, but if someone is prepared to offer half of that, I’ll help him pack so we can invest some cash in our defence.

Given how well we perform, the decision to not invest at the back looks more and more stupid with every passing game.  Insane.

Seems a bit harsh to say that after today. I don't think the defence got a lot wrong.

Truth is, at today's prices, 25 mill buys you potential and nothing more at the top level...... and with our boys being so young and having achieved so much in a short space of time,  there's a hell of a lot of potential there.