Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Maddison is great, but.....

Like someone else has said, I went and was happy to applaud his name but didn’t intend to give him any acknowledgement during the game.

BUT when he came over for that corner there was a swell of emotion in the crowd and I joined in the clapping. He did a nice job of acknowledging it and then got on with his job (which turned out to be bad news for us!).

during the game he made it clear he’d be giving us the ball back after the free kick and at the end he came over and applauded the Norwich fans.

he was a brilliant player for us and continues to speak highly and support the club so I don’t regret for one minute applauding him during the game,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Some strange responses. I never said boo him, I never said I don't like him, I never said he shouldn't be hero worshipped......just not during a match where he is playing against us.  I don't care if a player wins us the league title or the FA cup, if he is playing for the opposition he is just that - the opposition. 

It goes back to the "what is good supporting" idea.  The booing of our players? The shouting for the managers head during a tight game where we really needed points and just one goal behind (the Huddersfield 1-2 under Neil sticks in my mind), now this, the applauding of as player who is about to try and put us in trouble on the pitch....and he did. 

I just can't believe the way some people look at "supporting", these days.  Maddison is brilliant and was wondeful for our club both on and off the pitch - and there will always be a bond.....but once he is in an opposing team, then he is the opposition and friendliness should go out of the window from the first whistle and until the match is over, when all is back as it should be.  All that matters is helping OUR players do their best on the pitch.  I can only think that some people just don't get it - shame really. 

"What is good supporting" generally involves attending matches. When you attend the matches, your opinion on what constitutes "good supporting" is valid. 

What rock bus said is literally all it was; a hearty and impromptu round of applause the one and only time he came over to the Norwich section to take the corner. For the other 89 minutes, we neither booed nor cheered him (except he copped a bit of flak when he stuck one on Tettey), and we totally got behind the team and utterly outsang the 30,000 Leicester fans for the entire game.

Such a shame that practically the entire away end "don't get it", though, eh? If only they could support their team more like you do...

I struggle with the concept of

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

"What is good supporting" generally involves attending matches. When you attend the matches, your opinion on what constitutes "good supporting" is valid. 

Such a shame that practically the entire away end "don't get it", though, eh? If only they could support their team more like you do...

But then I do attend matches. Every season. Maybe 6-8 times, some home, some away. Been three times so far. That isn't bragging, I can't match those that go every week, but my opinion is presumably valid under your criteria.

As for "not getting it" I don't think the modern day supporter does get it. It's actually cringeworthy to hear about a player being gaily applauded by the opposition, he gives us a happy wave in return and then proceeds to damage us. Ludicrous.

10 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

As has been said elsewhere, it's possible that he didn't exchange shirts because he wanted to give his shirt to the family of Sophie Taylor. The tackle on Tettey was a bit naughty, but it's indicative of the frustration he was feeling because we stopped him having any influence on the game.

bad tackle against Tettey was just after incident with Alex elbow and I not like his reaction especially against our most serving player!

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But then I do attend matches. Every season. Maybe 6-8 times, some home, some away. Been three times so far. That isn't bragging, I can't match those that go every week, but my opinion is presumably valid under your criteria.

As for "not getting it" I don't think the modern day supporter does get it. It's actually cringeworthy to hear about a player being gaily applauded by the opposition, he gives us a happy wave in return and then proceeds to damage us. Ludicrous.

I'll tell you what's actually cringeworthy: your inability to ever back down in the weight of an ever-growing weight of evidence. A near-unanimous spontaneous round of applause from 3,000 loyal away fans, punctuated by 89 minutes of non-stop cheering and positivity, and you're still farting out rhetoric about the "modern-day" fans "not getting it".

By "modern-day fans", I'm presuming you mean practically the entire away end, and by "not getting it" you mean not agreeing with the contrarian viewpoint of one armchair fan several hundred miles away.

You spend most of your time on here being outrageously positive, yet here you're being incredibly negative about the behaviour of our fans who have filled the away end in December, made constant positive noise for 90 minutes and helped the lads to a brilliant away point against the form team in the league?

And you choose to use the word "cringeworthy"... take a look at yourself, honestly!

26 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'll tell you what's actually cringeworthy: your inability to ever back down in the weight of an ever-growing weight of evidence. A near-unanimous spontaneous round of applause from 3,000 loyal away fans, punctuated by 89 minutes of non-stop cheering and positivity, and you're still farting out rhetoric about the "modern-day" fans "not getting it".

By "modern-day fans", I'm presuming you mean practically the entire away end, and by "not getting it" you mean not agreeing with the contrarian viewpoint of one armchair fan several hundred miles away.

You spend most of your time on here being outrageously positive, yet here you're being incredibly negative about the behaviour of our fans who have filled the away end in December, made constant positive noise for 90 minutes and helped the lads to a brilliant away point against the form team in the league?

And you choose to use the word "cringeworthy"... take a look at yourself, honestly!

So how come you are going on about the whole match when I have criticised just one thing?  I haven't questioned the great support, the superb chanting throughout the match or anything else - my point is about just one thing - the applauding of an opponent at an inopportune moment.  Yay, lets clap him and make him feel good, just as he is about to pull the trigger.  Wonderful stuff.

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So how come you are going on about the whole match when I have criticised just one thing?  I haven't questioned the great support, the superb chanting throughout the match or anything else - my point is about just one thing - the applauding of an opponent at an inopportune moment.  Yay, lets clap him and make him feel good, just as he is about to pull the trigger.  Wonderful stuff.

I'm just intrigued as to why you would home in on a perceived negative when there has been so much positivity on the board in light of a brilliant performance and result. Do you honestly think that round of applause made them any more or less likely to score from that set piece? The goal was scored because McLean was marking a zone ahead of Vardy, and Vardy ran from behind him to get a free header. Whether you blame McLean or the zonal system for that eventuality, blaming our supporters for clapping at the corner taker is just plain daft.

You've called the behaviour of our away supporters 'ludicrous' and 'cringeworthy', and lectured us on what 'good supporting' is and is not 'these days' (despite the applause you've criticised being from people of all ages).

The way you talk down to other fans is really unpleasant. I don't expect any acknowledgement of this, any contrition or any modification of your tone; you've been doing this little routine for years. 

Oh wow, and literally in the few minutes since my post above, you've infected another thread with exactly the same point, only using even more aggressive language to criticise your own fans.

Stay classy.

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The way you talk down to other fans is really unpleasant. I don't expect any acknowledgement of this, any contrition or any modification of your tone; you've been doing this little routine for years. 

I always say it as I see it. Like the ball being kept by the fans the other week...result - a goal. Fans applaud an opponent taking a corner when they could have been shouting out that the ball was not in the quadrant and perhaps unsettling the player....result goal.

Yes, I've made complaints in the past about fans - but that is because the fans are important and affect what happens on the pitch - I know some people don't accept that - but the manager and players say it all the time. It's a relatively simple concept - 100% support 100% of the time.   For me it's like a loss of concentation - 3,000 fans get distracted from the proceedings by Maddison coming over to take a corner - players will sense that either consciously or sub-consiously.  The goal the other week that came as a result of them having to get another ball was another case in point.  

These are very minor points, but important - because fans are important and can make the difference either positively or negatively. So what's more important, clapping Maddison or us letting in a goal......I know the stock answer is the fans don't affect what happens....but they do.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I always say it as I see it. Like the ball being kept by the fans the other week...result - a goal. Fans applaud an opponent taking a corner when they could have been shouting out that the ball was not in the quadrant and perhaps unsettling the player....result goal.

Yes, I've made complaints in the past about fans - but that is because the fans are important and affect what happens on the pitch - I know some people don't accept that - but the manager and players say it all the time. It's a relatively simple concept - 100% support 100% of the time.   For me it's like a loss of concentation - 3,000 fans get distracted from the proceedings by Maddison coming over to take a corner - players will sense that either consciously or sub-consiously.  The goal the other week that came as a result of them having to get another ball was another case in point.  

These are very minor points, but important - because fans are important and can make the difference either positively or negatively. So what's more important, clapping Maddison or us letting in a goal......I know the stock answer is the fans don't affect what happens....but they do.

I agree that the ball being kept by the fans the other week was dumb... I think I said so at the time. This is a completely different situation, though. I'm happy to agree to differ with you on whether it was right or wrong to applaud Maddison as he came over to take the corner. I still think the language you used (particularly in the second thread you waded into) was totally unnecessary and provocative.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

What is this "modern day supporter" rubbish? I've seen former players applauded at matches since the 80s, it's not a new thing, and as far as I recall nobody has ever had a problem with it before.

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

What is this "modern day supporter" rubbish? I've seen former players applauded at matches since the 80s, it's not a new thing, and as far as I recall nobody has ever had a problem with it before.

Maybe so, but it is not desireable imo to applaud an opposition player during a match, whoever it is, the Bradley Johnson thing at Derby for instance, who then wins the match for them.  Before a match, ok - and after, of course - but during - I'd rather make it harder for them if at all possible. 

From David Freezer- The hugs and handshakes that James Maddison shared with his former team-mates showed the high regard in which he is held - but there was no room for friendship during the game. Late in the first half the new England international went down like he'd been shot after being caught slightly by a flailing Alex Tettey hand in midfield - and took clear exception to no punishment following from the referee. Daniel Farke and his team looked rather unimpressed by that behaviour and even more so when he charged into a tackle on Tettey, with his blood still pumping, prompting angry words. While he now has to act in Leicester's best interests, of course, it seemed poor form from a player who had the honour of lifting the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy as recently as 2018.

I'll not say any more about it, the point I have been making is down to my long held belief that a large crowd of people can have an affect on a game and on individuals within that game. It can work in our favour and yes, it can work against us too.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

From David Freezer- The hugs and handshakes that James Maddison shared with his former team-mates showed the high regard in which he is held - but there was no room for friendship during the game. Late in the first half the new England international went down like he'd been shot after being caught slightly by a flailing Alex Tettey hand in midfield - and took clear exception to no punishment following from the referee. Daniel Farke and his team looked rather unimpressed by that behaviour and even more so when he charged into a tackle on Tettey, with his blood still pumping, prompting angry words. While he now has to act in Leicester's best interests, of course, it seemed poor form from a player who had the honour of lifting the Barry Butler Memorial Trophy as recently as 2018.

I'll not say any more about it, the point I have been making is down to my long held belief that a large crowd of people can have an affect on a game and on individuals within that game. It can work in our favour and yes, it can work against us too.

So you have just completely  torn up your argument. You say we shew him respect and that is not right. Your quote now shows he did what you were asking us to do ie become complete enemies for 90 minutes, yet you say that is wrong as well. Which is is it ?. Maybe we should have booed McClean for not getting to the ball before Vardy or Farke for going for zonal marking as that had more to do with the goal than us applauding Maddison.

whoops you can’t answer that as you said you won’t say anymore.

15 hours ago, lake district canary said:

For me it's like a loss of concentation - 3,000 fans get distracted from the proceedings by Maddison coming over to take a corner - players will sense that either consciously or sub-consiously.

I do totally agree that positivity from the fans certainly does us no harm, and those that arrogantly dismiss DF’s and the players knowledge and repeated reminders of how much it helps raise their game and confidence are just mad in my opinion, and not helpful to our cause.

However, the City faithful showing a bit of love to Madders I’m sure had no effect on our players during that corner. They’re professional and I think that’s the last thing that distracted them. They would have 100% expected that reception anyway, it was hardly any sort of surprise. I’m fairly sure if the City fans had kept quiet then Madders wouldn’t have suddenly lost his fantastic dead ball ability and ballooned it into the centre circle. Realistically it had no relevance at all to the goal.

• Like 1

Tease and insult a player and he may crumble or he may perform better.  Applaud and cheer a player and he may perform better or he may crumble under the expectation.  So unless you know which player reacts in which way, there is no way of knowing what effect the crowd has on any given player, too imperfect a science to attribute  a goal to,  anyway .

In  regard to the previous  paragraph,  I think Todd Cantwell  has benefitted  from the abuse directed at him by Jobbo. Good work Jobsworth . He seems to enjoy proving you wrong.

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Good use of asterisks there.

I was hopi*g no one would be able to wo*k it out, Wolfie 😉😂

More I read this topic name, the more I think of those "Yeah s e x is great, but..." memes.

For example:

Maddison is great, but have you ever been laser shooting? 🤣

On 15/12/2019 at 22:16, Feedthewolf said:

I'm just intrigued as to why you would home in on a perceived negative when there has been so much positivity on the board in light of a brilliant performance and result. Do you honestly think that round of applause made them any more or less likely to score from that set piece? The goal was scored because McLean was marking a zone ahead of Vardy, and Vardy ran from behind him to get a free header. Whether you blame McLean or the zonal system for that eventuality, blaming our supporters for clapping at the corner taker is just plain daft.

You've called the behaviour of our away supporters 'ludicrous' and 'cringeworthy', and lectured us on what 'good supporting' is and is not 'these days' (despite the applause you've criticised being from people of all ages).

Just spat my coffee out.  That's a bit rich coming from you!

39 minutes ago, norfolkbroadslim said:

Just spat my coffee out.  That's a bit rich coming from you!

Yeah, but I'm clever.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

🤢

I was only being flippant, Lakey. As I recall, we sorted our disagreement out at the time and moved on. Season's greetings, OTBC!

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I was only being flippant, Lakey. As I recall, we sorted our disagreement out at the time and moved on. Season's greetings, OTBC!

I know, it was a nauseated face with it's tongue in the cheek 😁

Merry Christmas to you and yours 👍

• Like 1