Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Maddison is great, but.....

I don't think showing respect before and after the game constitutes a love in. Had it not been for the form of Madders that season then it could have been a whole lot worse for Farke and the club. That said I would be expecting him to be doing everything he can to score and us and we will be doing everything we can to stop him. The problem we have is that Leicester have 10 other players equally as dangerous and a top coach in Rodgers who frankly won't be as unprepared as Guardiola was.

I agree Pantso, give the lad a cheer and a clap, then it's business as usual for 90 mins. After the game, whatever the result is the right time for supporters and JM to thank each other.

Maddison play dirty against Tettey and over all try his usual cheats against us today...

Not  like his altitude at all today and also decline Onel to exchange shirts at the end.

17 minutes ago, Boris said:

Maddison play dirty against Tettey and over all try his usual cheats against us today...

Not  like his altitude at all today and also decline Onel to exchange shirts at the end.

I would imagine he was keeping the shirt today for Sophie Taylor’s sister or family, just a guess. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

• Like 2

Radio 5 Live were comparing Todd to Madders today - good times. Just need Todd to develop a wicked free kick and we have our replacement 🙂 

Edited by Surfer

So the love in carries on into the match where we applaud Maddison when he comes over to take a corner....like the one they scored from...doh!   We are supposed to be partisan...you know.....like supporting Norwich, not the opposition?  I still like the guy, loved him at Norwich, but he celebrates their goal, hacks down Tettey a couple of minutes after he had been caught totally accidentally by his trailing hand, so he wasn't being "nice" during the match.  Don't understand it. In my book once the match starts, it's them against us, no exceptions.  If he had scored a great goal, then yes, maybe acknowledge that........I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but it used to be that you cheered your team on and gave the opposition as much stick as possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Radio 5 Live were comparing Todd to Madders today - good times. Just need Todd to develop a wicked free kick and we have our replacement 🙂 

Pleased to hear that, there are lots of good comparators, Todd is taking perhaps a little longer to develop physically, Maddison was lucky that he had the chance to have a season out on loan where he wasn’t  being  scrutinised at a high level.  Todd however is constantly in the spotlight. That may of course be helpful but the negative stuff that we hear sometimes certainly won’t be.

23 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Pleased to hear that, there are lots of good comparators, Todd is taking perhaps a little longer to develop physically, Maddison was lucky that he had the chance to have a season out on loan where he wasn’t  being  scrutinised at a high level.  Todd however is constantly in the spotlight. That may of course be helpful but the negative stuff that we hear sometimes certainly won’t be.

Don’t disagree with the crux of your point, but just to keep it factual, Todd did have half a season on loan in the Dutch championship. I’ve no idea of the standard and probably lower than SPL but he did have a loan opportunity 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Don’t disagree with the crux of your point, but just to keep it factual, Todd did have half a season on loan in the Dutch championship. I’ve no idea of the standard and probably lower than SPL but he did have a loan opportunity 

They're pretty different players to be comparing in terms of style anyway. Maddison is very much reliant on his low centre of gravity to turn quickly. 

Anyway, Todd certainly offered more than Maddison did yesterday looking at the highlights. Long, long way for him to be considered anywhere near as good but he certainly hasnt done himself any harm this season.

32 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So the love in carries on into the match where we applaud Maddison when he comes over to take a corner....like the one they scored from...doh!   We are supposed to be partisan...you know.....like supporting Norwich, not the opposition?  I still like the guy, loved him at Norwich, but he celebrates their goal, hacks down Tettey a couple of minutes after he had been caught totally accidentally by his trailing hand, so he wasn't being "nice" during the match.  Don't understand it. In my book once the match starts, it's them against us, no exceptions.  If he had scored a great goal, then yes, maybe acknowledge that........I dunno, maybe I'm old fashioned, but it used to be that you cheered your team on and gave the opposition as much stick as possible.

I disagree. Maddison is a player whose like I have never seen in a city shirt in terms of quality with the exception maybe of huckerby. I’m 32. Maddison have everything for us that season and singlehandedly put us mid table. Without him, we may very well have gone down. He was and still is utterly brilliant with sophies family as demonstrated by having her sister be a mascot last week. Madders never once demanded we sell him etc, he conducted himself with utter class with regards to our football club and deserves the same back. I’ll never forget the 2-0 win at Elland Road and when Johnny Howson scored, the Leeds fans to a man, stood up and applauded. One of the classiest moments I’ve seen in football. Maddison is a special footballer and we were privileged to see him play for us. I have no problem with him having a positive relationship with our fan base after he has moved on to better things. You sound like a jealous ex-girlfriend of his lakey

• Like 4

Re Maddison and class.

We all saw the incident where Iheanacho ran straight at our goal when he should have given the ball back which sparked the mass melee and saw our players understandably getting very wound up.

As a result of this Leicester got a free kick in a very dangerous position just outside our box. What did Maddison do? He played the free kick straight out for a goal kick to us thereby totally defusing the situation. 

Class! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I disagree. Maddison is a player whose like I have never seen in a city shirt in terms of quality with the exception maybe of huckerby. I’m 32. Maddison have everything for us that season and singlehandedly put us mid table. Without him, we may very well have gone down. He was and still is utterly brilliant with sophies family as demonstrated by having her sister be a mascot last week. Madders never once demanded we sell him etc, he conducted himself with utter class with regards to our football club and deserves the same back. I’ll never forget the 2-0 win at Elland Road and when Johnny Howson scored, the Leeds fans to a man, stood up and applauded. One of the classiest moments I’ve seen in football. Maddison is a special footballer and we were privileged to see him play for us. I have no problem with him having a positive relationship with our fan base after he has moved on to better things. You sound like a jealous ex-girlfriend of his lakey

Totally agree with this. Applauding him when he comes over to take a corner is hardly going to make him more likely to set up a goal, is it? I hadn't planned to, but when I saw him running over to our corner for the first time to take that corner, I was emotionally compelled to applaud him. I love the guy, and always will - the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen in a Norwich shirt (going back to 1986). It's not like it was a 90-minute love-in for the guy, we spent the other 89 minutes singing songs about our own club and players, and totally outsinging 30,000 Leicester fans.

Edited by Feedthewolf

6 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Totally agree with this. Applauding him when he comes over to take a corner is hardly going to make him more likely to set up a goal, is it? I hadn't planned to, but when I saw him running over to our corner for the first time to take that corner, I was emotionally compelled to applaud him. I love the guy, and always will - the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen in a Norwich shirt (going back to 1986). It's not like it was a 90-minute love-in for the guy, we spent the other 89 minutes singing songs about our own club and players, and totally outsinging 30,000 Leicester fans.

Ditto this and the initial post from KIO.

Fantastic player, who still speaks very highly of us.

A player who probably saved Farke's job, which gave us the foundation to be where we are now.

14 minutes ago, kick it off said:

You basically just agreed with me because I said that if he scored a great goal, then yes, applause is appropriate.  My point is that in a match, we don't want to build up opposition players during it.  Yes, after the match, get your todgers out and wave them at him, if that is what you want, he deserves continued praise for what he is to us, but during, never ever give anything to an opposition player.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I guess people can't control their emotions, shame really, if I had been down near that corner flag I would have been shouting at him to try and put him off, like any opponent. 

Just now, lake district canary said:

I guess people can't control their emotions, shame really, if I had been down near that corner flag I would have been shouting at him to try and put him off, like any opponent. 

Is shouting at him to put him off not an emotional response? What would you have shouted? You'd have been in a minority of one, anyway.

But I guess that's not an alien concept to you.

9 hours ago, Boris said:

Yes, that was poor. Very disappointed.

25 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I agree.

When we have player of that quality in our team even for just a season, you have to witness and watch as many live games as possible. These moments, with that level of player are very rare for a club like ours. So for anyone getting agitated to our support for showing a measured response to that type of player is lacking the reality.

He was simply brilliant for us and as someone mentioned without him playing so well, we would not have got to the lofty height of mid table that season and Farke would have probably gone, therefore it is likely we would not be in the PL!

If of course you did not have the pleasure of watching him live in the yellow and green then I'm afraid you missed out. And I go further back than Feedthewolfs measured comments date.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Yes, that was poor. Very disappointed.

As has been said elsewhere, it's possible that he didn't exchange shirts because he wanted to give his shirt to the family of Sophie Taylor. The tackle on Tettey was a bit naughty, but it's indicative of the frustration he was feeling because we stopped him having any influence on the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Is shouting at him to put him off not an emotional response?

Yes, of course. One appropriate to the situation. He's an opposition player first, an ex-Norwich hero second. 

What would I have shouted? I don't know....nothing abusive and if I was close enough that I knew he would hear it, maybe shout something daft, totally unrelated to football, that might just distract him. 

image.png.ba50dba8c8e31c75951db7943187da66.png

"A family member holds Sophie's shirt - a birthday present signed by James Maddison - as the Leicester City player takes a corner kick."

Applaud or boo?

I know which one I would have done

14 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

A family member holds Sophie's shirt - a birthday present signed by James Maddison - as the Leicester City player takes a corner kick."

Applaud or boo?

I know which one I would have done

I never said boo him.

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, of course. One appropriate to the situation. He's an opposition player first, an ex-Norwich hero second. 

What would I have shouted? I don't know....nothing abusive and if I was close enough that I knew he would hear it, maybe shout something daft, totally unrelated to football, that might just distract him. 

Well if you'd have been there, you'd have been able to exercise your right to do the exact opposite of everyone else.

Glad we all know that we were being inappropriate, though. You should come along more often so you can tell us all how to behave appropriately in person.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Without Maddison we would not have this team, the likes of Pukki would be players we would be admiring at another club. We would not have been in the EPL we could possibly have been in league 1 and the Webber / Farke experiment could have fallen apart. Why have you picked up on the incident with Tettey and not when he deliberately kicked the ball out for a goal kick ? The incident with Tettey could well have been an accident, the kicking out of the ball for a goal kick was 100 % deliberate.

Bet you were one of the many advocating we should clap Lambert on his return who totally shafted our club at the end.

58 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No reason to break the habit of a lifetime................................................. (😉 😉 😜)

• Haha 1

People like Madison get over it... Really strange but hey ho...

He's an opposition player first, an ex-Norwich hero second

Disagree

One of my favourite ever City players first, no matter who he’s playing for or if it’s against us (and he only really had one season with us which shows how good he is)

everything else second.

Cant help my natural response, the man is and was, luckily for us, a joy to watch.

Some strange responses. I never said boo him, I never said I don't like him, I never said he shouldn't be hero worshipped......just not during a match where he is playing against us.  I don't care if a player wins us the league title or the FA cup, if he is playing for the opposition he is just that - the opposition. 

It goes back to the "what is good supporting" idea.  The booing of our players? The shouting for the managers head during a tight game where we really needed points and just one goal behind (the Huddersfield 1-2 under Neil sticks in my mind), now this, the applauding of as player who is about to try and put us in trouble on the pitch....and he did. 

I just can't believe the way some people look at "supporting", these days.  Maddison is brilliant and was wondeful for our club both on and off the pitch - and there will always be a bond.....but once he is in an opposing team, then he is the opposition and friendliness should go out of the window from the first whistle and until the match is over, when all is back as it should be.  All that matters is helping OUR players do their best on the pitch.  I can only think that some people just don't get it - shame really.