mccanary

I think I've had enough.

For over 30 years I've had a season ticket and missed very few games.  Over the last few seasons I've become more and more disillusioned with the game.....proportionate to the increasing stranglehold that tv and big money has on the game at this level.  Ridiculous kick off days and times and moving those kick offs without a thought for fans. Saturday 3 o'clock is football,  ( or 745 weds) not 430 Sunday  -( Or any time they feel like trying something else)

I'm completely fed up with the whole circus. Don't get me started on VAR and official bias towards the top teams.  

Two season tickets up for grabs in the barclay next season.  I'll keep chris company on the radio. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, mccanary said:

For over 30 years I've had a season ticket and missed very few games.  Over the last few seasons I've become more and more disillusioned with the game.....proportionate to the increasing stranglehold that tv and big money has on the game at this level.  Ridiculous kick off days and times and moving those kick offs without a thought for fans. Saturday 3 o'clock is football,  ( or 745 weds) not 430 Sunday  -( Or any time they feel like trying something else)

I'm completely fed up with the whole circus. Don't get me started on VAR and official bias towards the top teams.  

Two season tickets up for grabs in the barclay next season.  I'll keep chris company on the radio. 

It’s about once a fortnight, for about 9 months a year, good grief 

I fully understand your disillusionment. Btw.  I will be in Norfolk for Christmas between 21 Dec and 3rd Jan. Could I use your tickets for the three home fixtures or any of them? 

Edited by Budapest Canary
  • Haha 4

30 years , don’t give up now ! Sod the people running football now . You could regret this big time ! 

Go on , change your mind . 

17 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Man Utd was a late ko

Ah yeah... I was there as always but another one I must have put out of my mind! 🤣

It's not an airport lounge.... there is no need to announce your departure.

(Although seems a weird decision now, given last year saw one of the most exciting seasons ever and some of the best football we have played!)

13 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

30 years , don’t give up now ! Sod the people running football now . You could regret this big time ! 

Go on , change your mind . 

Yeah I agree!

There have been times when I've thought, "F&%k it! I'm jacking this in. Let someone else suffer!"

But then I really think about it and there are so many things I'd miss...

Going to the pub with friends beforehand is always brilliant, I'd miss the random folk I sit next to who I have become friendly with over the years (even if some of them do drive me nuts), I'd miss the feeling of a good win. I'd miss doing the unexpected or unfathomable. Just being out watching the team I love. I'd miss wondering why the heck I do this when we lose badly, but always looking forward to "getting up and going again".

While I agree that there are rubbish bits about football now (and in the past) I do think there's something special about seeing it live- right there, in front of you. And also feeling like in some small way I, as a fan, have contributed to a great atmosphere that has helped get the boys across the line.

Keep your season tickets. Times always get better 😊

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bit o' patience and ride out the storm......Everything will hopefully be back to how it was for the forthcoming 2020/21 season.....The large majority of Saturday and midweek kick offs will again be at fan acceptable and sensible times. More games and no VAR or 4 minute slots on Gary Linelickers Match of the Me Me ME!.....But, we'll be happily returned to EFL on Quest - where we were so adored and held in such high esteem......Oh, and maybe a return to local derbies against them Suffark mockerneez 40+ miles down t' road.....yup.....

It's not all that bad....Is it?......

45 minutes ago, mccanary said:

Can understand this up to a point, I lost interest in the general game of football quite a long time ago - when the silly money started coming in and the Premier League gravy train set off, with greed at the heart of it.  

I only take any kind of interest now because of NCFC and games/teams we are playing. If Norwich had sold out to some big time money merchant, I think I would have long ago lost interest in us too and it is only the family nature of the club that has kept me on board.  I think that if I lived in Norwich still, I would want to be involved though and I think you are lucky if you have the chance to go and see us every week. Even at a distance I can see how good our club is run and how it is so immersed in the community - and that counts for a huge amount in the scheme of things.

Just think of it as us against the world - the club that is bucking the trend by going down the sustainable route - we can be - and probably are - an inspiration to other clubs who likewise don't have vast amounts of money.  There is a lot more to the game of football than just money and NCFC is a breath of fresh air in the cynical world of "money, must have more money". 

I don't really care about the top clubs, who plays for them, how much they pay for their players etc etc.....it is just a numbers game. The real football happens lower down the game, where money is not such an issue. Well run clubs living within their means is the real world and we are at the forefront of that....long may it continue.  Salah, Rashford etc etc... yeah they score some class goals to be admired....but then we have seen some incredible goals too, over the years, all the better because they are scored by our players....Howson's volley, Holt's goals, Vrancic's free kicks, Pukki's goals etc etc. 

So just think what you might be missing if you give your season tickets up......you're lucky, you have the choice to go or not, when many of us don't.  Don't give it up lightly.

• Like 2

I could never desert watching if I lived in Norwich still.

But not living there means that I needed an outlet. A place that had live sport, some sherberts before and after and a sense of belonging to a club.

So I go to my local rugby club virtually every other week and luckily I have only missed the Villa game because of clashes. In a sense I have the best of both worlds but watching the rugby I do see why footballers are perceived as a bunch of overpaid, underworked posers.

8 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Surely part of the fun of being a Norwich fan is the continual misery and underachievement? 

I think you and Lakey should have an arm wrestle......

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I could never desert watching if I lived in Norwich still.

But not living there means that I needed an outlet. A place that had live sport, some sherberts before and after and a sense of belonging to a club.

So I go to my local rugby club virtually every other week and luckily I have only missed the Villa game because of clashes. In a sense I have the best of both worlds but watching the rugby I do see why footballers are perceived as a bunch of overpaid, underworked posers.

That was indeed a stroke of luck....😀

42 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Bit o' patience and ride out the storm......Everything will hopefully be back to how it was for the forthcoming 2020/21 season.....The large majority of Saturday and midweek kick offs will again be at fan acceptable and sensible times. More games and no VAR or 4 minute slots on Gary Linelickers Match of the Me Me ME!.....But, we'll be happily returned to EFL on Quest - where we were so adored and held in such high esteem......Oh, and maybe a return to local derbies against them Suffark mockerneez 40+ miles down t' road.....yup.....

It's not all that bad....Is it?......

....that is, only if they don't raise the prices of our season tickets......?

Mccanary, would you not wish to see the likes of Power, Gilmour, Famewo, Idah and others coming through into the first team next year?

Ps. whichever league we are in :)

2 hours ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

Surely part of the fun of being a Norwich fan is the continual misery and underachievement? 

I think that’s your contribution to this board isn’t it?

• Haha 3

I've been watching City more than 30 years. That quite wonderful season last season was the best in my lifetime and more than made up for any other misery.

The key is not to take it too seriously because at the end of the day it really isn't important. Football to me is a great alround social occasion. If it was just left to watching the game I'm not sure I'd bother.

While I have some sympathy with the op, I also detest what the game at the top level has become. 

Meanwhile, days out at Hillsborough in '82 seeing us promoted, Wembley in '85, Portsmouth under Lambert, dancing in the aisle, hugging a middle aged man I'd never met when Jackson scored. Winning at Tottenham when old 'Arry was nailed on to be the next England manager and Bennett blasted past Friedel. 

Even Howson's solo effort at the Etihad, I was there, and while I can't get there as often as I'd like, I would never give it up completely. 

It's in the blood I tell ya.

• Like 1

Football is a joke still enjoy it but it's just mad ,stupid kick off times used to be all games whatever leauge at 3pm sat ,you could name and pronounce all the players virtually in the old first division .players were mostly ordinary  not megastars on huge ridiculous  amounts of money, more than they can spend in a lifetime. There was not all this diving mostly they got up and got on with it .No subs with 1 min to play to waste time .No VAR ,one ref ,two linesman. Better time for the game .can still see enjoyable games but money dominates .

14 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Can understand this up to a point, I lost interest in the general game of football quite a long time ago - when the silly money started coming in and the Premier League gravy train set off, with greed at the heart of it.  

I only take any kind of interest now because of NCFC and games/teams we are playing. If Norwich had sold out to some big time money merchant, I think I would have long ago lost interest in us too and it is only the family nature of the club that has kept me on board.  I think that if I lived in Norwich still, I would want to be involved though and I think you are lucky if you have the chance to go and see us every week. Even at a distance I can see how good our club is run and how it is so immersed in the community - and that counts for a huge amount in the scheme of things.

Just think of it as us against the world - the club that is bucking the trend by going down the sustainable route - we can be - and probably are - an inspiration to other clubs who likewise don't have vast amounts of money.  There is a lot more to the game of football than just money and NCFC is a breath of fresh air in the cynical world of "money, must have more money". 

I don't really care about the top clubs, who plays for them, how much they pay for their players etc etc.....it is just a numbers game. The real football happens lower down the game, where money is not such an issue. Well run clubs living within their means is the real world and we are at the forefront of that....long may it continue.  Salah, Rashford etc etc... yeah they score some class goals to be admired....but then we have seen some incredible goals too, over the years, all the better because they are scored by our players....Howson's volley, Holt's goals, Vrancic's free kicks, Pukki's goals etc etc. 

So just think what you might be missing if you give your season tickets up......you're lucky, you have the choice to go or not, when many of us don't.  Don't give it up lightly.

This sums up the way I feel. I support NCFC, and watch them as many times as possible. But I'm not interested in the money boys or the corrupt CL. I wouldn't toss your ST away just yet though

• Like 1

I happen to like most of the way things have progressed.

Twenty four seven live football suits me. 3pm Saturdays, Sports Report on the radio on the drive home and then Gerry Harrison on Sunday after that traditional roast is all full of marvellous feelings but reflect a bygone age. (never much enjoyed the brass band at half-time though.)Times change, so do we. What alternative is there but to accept, like it or not? There's plenty to like as well after all.

"I can't change time, but time changes me" (Bowie?)

I certainly wouldn't want to swap the internet and it's increasing availability for watching live football for that once a year live game, which was the FA Cup Final and which brought every kid in the street out to kick a ball about at 5pm. because it was such a novelty.

Of course there is a lot wrong. The excessive finances, the cynicism on the field of play, agents etc. but life has never been a cafeteria whereby you can pick and chose just what suits.

Overall, I've never had instant access to (all) sport (it's not just a football thing you know) and enjoyed it more than I do now.

Question:

Is there some pre-ordained ruling that the beautiful game should be primarily a live spectator game enjoyed by thousands rather than a televised sport enjoyed by millions now that the technology makes it possible? Neither is it an either/or. Just more choice.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

Kind of agree... Just not the game I grew up loving... Atmosphere is so sterile these days, the traditional 3pm kick off getting fewer and fewer. The 6 hour round trip to a home game not helping. Will probably look to watching non league nearer to home next season..

6 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Kind of agree... Just not the game I grew up loving... Atmosphere is so sterile these days, the traditional 3pm kick off getting fewer and fewer. The 6 hour round trip to a home game not helping. Will probably look to watching non league nearer to home next season..

I agree with the sterile atmosphere the current Barclay end is terrible compared to the support of yester year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

I agree with the sterile atmosphere the current Barclay end is terrible compared to the support of yester year

It's like going to the cinema these days