Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

7.25 million?

A good deal I reckon. It''s been on the cards so lets get on with finding a replacement. No chance of going up this year but this is a chance to build for the future. We ought to be able to get three or four proven players for a 4-5 million outlay and if rumour is correct some of the deals are done and only awaiting Ashton''s exit

For goodness sake Link, he''s hardly going to say it''s a rip off is he?

Whether or not we should have let him go, it''s a good deal, whichever

way you slice it. We''ve made one of the best returns on a player in 1

year ever imagine. Lets concentrate on how we''re gonna use the money

rather than moan about how much it is.

Some of you have gone mad. £7,250,000 is a huge amount of money . Dean has not been at his best this season and was always going to leave at the end of the season.

It is a great move for him in terms of his career and that Norwich have made so much money is a plus for us. If Worthy can spend the money wisely (crewe only receive £1,500,000) he can get a number of good players.

This could be a blessing in disguise.

I very much regret the departure of Dean Ashton and having watched the Nigel Worthington imports yesterday, passing themselves off as a midfield, I fear for the future.  Why has Worthy not given Paul McVeigh a new contract ?  This is difficult to understand when he gave the ageing Iwan Roberts a new two year contract.

[quote user="Intenso"]I very much regret the departure of Dean Ashton and having watched the Nigel Worthington imports yesterday, passing themselves off as a midfield, I fear for the future.  Why has Worthy not given Paul McVeigh a new contract ?  This is difficult to understand when he gave the ageing Iwan Roberts a new two year contract.[/quote]

Why has McVeigh not been  offered a new contract ?   how do you know he hasn`t been offered a new contract ?   , how can you know  if he hasn`t  accepted the terms , or that his recent run of form  isn`t showboating  for other clubs to get interested in him  ?    there`s been much comical breastbeating  from posters  about  the board  being " dishonest "   , do they seriously  expect them  to keep the fans informed about all things  , jaysus  we would be the laughing stock  of the league , and  agents will die laughing !!

A1 - I never said I was moaning about the size of the fee; I was simply quoting their Financial Director, who infers that we were a little too ready to part company with Deano. In fact, in the circumstances, I think that it''s a reasonable deal.

I am not overly concerned that Deano''s gone, simply because our desperately poor midfield was giving the poor guy hardly any service anyway and his talents deserve to play in a better side. What DOES worry me is that Worthington brought in three terrible midfielders (Hughes, Etuhu and Jarrett) who are filling positons that could be filled by decent players (using the money from Ashton''s sale). We could replace Ashton with Thierry Henry and he''d still struggle to receive the ball via midfield and score.

Whoever replaces Ashton is going to have to be good at having the ball played to him at head height every few minutes and curbing his frustration when he finds that he''s got no support up with him or no midfield runners.    

......and you forget the 15% sell on fee. So if Deano really is the real deal and becomes one of England''s top strikers there could be a future windfall which would be very nice thank you. With inflation and 3 years at a good footballing club (which is also, rightly or wrongly, more "trendy" than Norwich and therefore gets more profile), lets say he is worth £15m. That would be £2.25m to us for doing nothing. That ain''t bad.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]......and you forget the 15% sell on fee. So if Deano really is the real deal and becomes one of England''s top strikers there could be a future windfall which would be very nice thank you. With inflation and 3 years at a good footballing club (which is also, rightly or wrongly, more "trendy" than Norwich and therefore gets more profile), lets say he is worth £15m. That would be £2.25m to us for doing nothing. That ain''t bad.[/quote]

No, whilst I can see that people are disappointed to lose Deano, the fee really is not bad.  I did start off being a bit annoyed about the deal, but the more I think about it the more I think it is actually a very good deal and is for the best - he was not on the form we''d hoped this season, and we now have the opportunity to get in 2/3 decent players who can take us forward, rather than putting too much reliance on the one player.

As we all do, I wish Dean well and will look forward to watching him play for West Ham. With respect to the "steal" comment by the West Ham financial director, I would wager a better barometer of the value would be the pressure Ashton is probably already feeling as to how he will perform during his first few games. Hammers fans will expect a lot for that kind of money ( a record for them ) and they will not be easily pleased. Despite that, I would venture a lot of Norwich fans will see Dean Ashton perform much better than you have been used to, simply because West Ham plays football and will service him in the appropriate way.

Its a good deal. Only problem is that only a few days left in transfer window so hope no panic buys made. Present squad should comfortably survive this season, but going nowhere, so rebuild and strengthen in summer. We must change coaching staff. Adrian Boothroyd won yesterdays tactical battle by a mile. In particular played numerous high balls to Charlton, who is a decent player but lacks height, and caused us problems in that area for most of the match. What was Worthy''s response. Stood and watched for 90 minutes arms folded and virtually no reaction.

It is a good deal - crouch went for a similar price and we are only selling Ashton on his reputation from half a season at the start of this year.  He is a proven goal scorer at whatever level he will play and I am sure that he will score bundles for West Ham.  At this moment in time it is hard to see how we would have got much more.

I think the only reason why we as fans are disappointed in the clubs build approach to the sale with comments that only ''silly money'' and this weeks rumours of £8m raising fan expectation to an unrealistic level.

I amd not sure how the fee will be paid all up front or in instalments - hopefully immediately so we can buy as and when we need.  

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

It is a good deal - crouch went for a similar price and we are only selling Ashton on his reputation from half a season at the start of this year.  He is a proven goal scorer at whatever level he will play and I am sure that he will score bundles for West Ham.  At this moment in time it is hard to see how we would have got much more.

I think the only reason why we as fans are disappointed in the clubs build approach to the sale with comments that only ''silly money'' and this weeks rumours of £8m raising fan expectation to an unrealistic level.

I amd not sure how the fee will be paid all up front or in instalments - hopefully immediately so we can buy as and when we need.  

[/quote]

To be honest ZLF £7m it is silly money.  I am sure Deano is Premiership and maybe even England quality but if we look at what we have sold £7m, is a silly price.

Ashton has played only half a year in the Premiership and has had an average half year in the Championship so far.  We have not sold the player "as seen", we have sold the player as having potential.  In reality Deano is probably worth maybe £4m - £5m tops, so I think we have done very well with £7m + 15% sell on.  The majority of West Ham fans are happy with him signing but most of them feel the price is too much.

I am very pleased for Ashton and I wish him well because he was wasted here.  Although he has not been at his best very often this year you only had to be at the Saints game to see what he was capable of, IF he was given the right service.