Sign in to follow this  
Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Parma’s Tactics Masterclass 19

GPB, I have amended ‘posits’ for ‘assumes’.

Parma 

‘Stated simply, Alice and Bob are in Nash equilibrium if Alice is making the best decision she can, taking into account Bob's decision while his decision remains unchanged, and Bob is making the best decision he can, taking into account Alice's decision while her decision remains unchanged. Likewise, a group of players are in Nash equilibrium if each one is making the best decision possible, taking into account the decisions of the others in the game as long as the other parties' decisions remain unchanged.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Tbh Parma's somewhat 'verbose' style does invite accusations of pretentiousness.

The above post is a fine example- lots of words that basically boil down to 'teams are better in the Premier League so we can't just play how we did last season.' 

I actually really like his style.  For someone who obviously does not have English as his first language, to be able to express himself with such creativity in his use of vocabulary and grammar, is a joy to see.  The fact that it takes a little effort to read is worth it - it is not just a simple message that he gives, it is full of nuances and detail that are worth thinking about and taking time to digest. 

English people are often quite careless about the way they use the language and people from other countries who take time to lerarn the language well, often put us to shame. I think of Daniel Farke and Zimbo in this regard too. Using the language well, is a work of art and Parma is as elequent a user of the English language in written word, that I have seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Teemu, actually you could put me in a room with players of multiple nationalities because I speak fluent Italian, French, German and - arguably 😂 - English. I have coached in multiple countries and learned a great deal from it. 

Parma 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Teemu, actually you could put me in a room with players of multiple nationalities because I speak fluent Italian, French, German and - arguably 😂 - English. I have coached in multiple countries and learned a great deal from it. 

Parma 

Kabooooom!!!!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Now,now, lets leave life outside of footy where it is, outside.

Wot like you an Commandero Tilsono.....wcorkio?.....

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I actually really like his style.  For someone who obviously does not have English as his first language, to be able to express himself with such creativity in his use of vocabulary and grammar, is a joy to see.  The fact that it takes a little effort to read is worth it - it is not just a simple message that he gives, it is full of nuances and detail that are worth thinking about and taking time to digest. 

English people are often quite careless about the way they use the language and people from other countries who take time to lerarn the language well, often put us to shame. I think of Daniel Farke and Zimbo in this regard too. Using the language well, is a work of art and Parma is as elequent a user of the English language in written word, that I have seen.

Like your written words.....lerarn and elequent?......

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He may have all the coaching badges on the world but stick him in a dressing room with 18 footballers of various nationalities and not one of them is going to understand what the f*ck he is talking about. 

I'd believe it if somebody told me that he's Eric Cantona's ghostwriter. If he could just do a three line summary in the style of Harry Redknapp at the bottom of each of these complex pieces of abstract art he'd be doing us all a big favour. 

Lighten up chap, he's having a laugh with our language, assuming youre not Finn/Dutch, or both.

5 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Wot like you an Commandero Tilsono.....wcorkio?.....

:classic_biggrin: Nah Chap, takes himself far too seriously, just think real life should be kept off a footy forum.

50 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

:classic_biggrin: Nah Chap, takes himself far too seriously, just think real life should be kept off a footy forum.

Especially when they're going to make wild judgements without knowing what's going on internally within a business. 🙄😂

However, I should take it as a compliment how many people feel it important to look into my personal life. Feels a bit like being a celebrity, only without the money.

Oh, and all the people that follow me a total d*ckheads.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He may have all the coaching badges on the world but stick him in a dressing room with 18 footballers of various nationalities and not one of them is going to understand what the f*ck he is talking about. 

I'd believe it if somebody told me that he's Eric Cantona's ghostwriter. If he could just do a three line summary in the style of Harry Redknapp at the bottom of each of these complex pieces of abstract art he'd be doing us all a big favour. 

Well I'm not sure how he writes is how he would necessarily address footballers.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Especially when they're going to make wild judgements without knowing what's going on internally within a business. 🙄😂

However, I should take it as a compliment how many people feel it important to look into my personal life. Feels a bit like being a celebrity, only without the money.

Oh, and all the people that follow me a total d*ckheads.

I'm deffo gonna screenshot this an' have a good guffaw about it with my mates in the pub on Saturday.....Because we're all total di ckheads and  that's what total dic kheads do.....Care to join us?.....Unfortunately though, we're not more lemonade than lager shandy drinkers....

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Parma 

Parma old chap. I thought I saw a few months back someone on here requesting more specifics on those qualifications of yours. That's when you alluded to to have done something in 'the Italian system', or something equally vague. You know, who ,where,when, that sort of thing. But I must have missed your reply. Could you just remind me, us.

All you needed to have said, Parma, is that our backline is not good enough for the Premiership and you could have covered it all in just one sentence.

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

GPB, I have amended ‘posits’ for ‘assumes’.

Parma 

‘Stated simply, Alice and Bob are in Nash equilibrium if Alice is making the best decision she can, taking into account Bob's decision while his decision remains unchanged, and Bob is making the best decision he can, taking into account Alice's decision while her decision remains unchanged. Likewise, a group of players are in Nash equilibrium if each one is making the best decision possible, taking into account the decisions of the others in the game as long as the other parties' decisions remain unchanged.’

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium

Now that’s much clearer and makes sense.

5 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I actually really like his style.  For someone who obviously does not have English as his first language, to be able to express himself with such creativity in his use of vocabulary and grammar, is a joy to see.

I always thought he was just some English bloke who did a bit of coaching in Italy? Where is he from then? 

Very long and very apt, for my two pence worth, agree with Parma in most areas, a so called plan B as a lot of people keep going on about never exists, it’s normally a last ditch effort when a team is losing and have nothing to lose by throwing on another attacking option.

The start of every game most teams play their best starting 11 in a system being coached, they are used to it and in some games look more defensive or attacking depending on a number of factors, the team they are up against, the system they are up against and the current mental strength of the players.

Southampton for example didn’t change against us to when they lost 9-0, just upped their press and stopped us playing our game the way we can, we moved the ball too slow and looked ineffective in the first half.

The second half two changes made all the difference, but we didn’t change to plan B we just moved the ball better and quicker opening up more chances.

There is no plan B, it’s like the fabled Bermuda Triangle it doesn’t exist.

• Thanks 1

It doesn't matter where he's from, it's what he's saying that is the subject. He's a damn sight more interesting than most armchair experts. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Looks like some people think that Parma is not English, oh deary me.

I assume you know him then?  Are you saying he is just playing with us?  

Just another bor style character?

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Parma knows his stuff, I've sat with him at games. He's also a top PUP and top man. 

So is his use of language just airy persiflage?

10 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Parma knows his stuff, I've sat with him at games. He's also a top PUP and top man. 

Does he shout “ git it forward ! “ 😉

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lakey, I have no idea what that means. My post which you are replying to is my POV.

36 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:
3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Lakey, I have no idea what that means. My post which you are replying to is my POV.

Yeah, sorry, I was being a bit obtuse, just wanted to know if the way Parma uses language on here is put on or genuine. 

Lakey, 

I don’t write often - I have a very low post count for almost 15 years of membership on here, most of which is proudly on Ray’s Funds - though if I do it is because I have something specific that I want to say, usually because I feel it might aid understanding or provide context in (typically) difficult, fractions or negative times. 

It is long form and somewhat academic language because I want to be precise about my meaning, plus I wish to add nuance to issues that others paint as black and white (as you yourself identified earlier). It is also my professional style.

It is certainly not written for everyone, nor is it written as fact or truth, only what added (or not) insight I can bring from my own experiences, which I believe are often relevant and not necessarily common. Perhaps I’ll change ‘Masterclass’ to ‘Resumé’ or some such. When I started these years ago I had been asked to give Masterclass seminars on certain issues, so I used it here. 

Revealing my identity online is not something I intend to do, nor feel the need to justify. Over the years I have posted a fair amount of detail for those keen enough to search it out. Those who do know won’t say and those who don’t know can’t say. The work is open, judge it as you see fit. 

One sad element - and I think of investment in the Club, Cantwell or personal attacks on Delia here - is that people seem threatened or wish to judge their own far more harshly, with far less objectivity, than they do others. 

Funny old game Saint. 

Parma

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Revealing my identity online is not something I intend to do, nor feel the need to justify. Over the years I have posted a fair amount of detail for those keen enough to search it out. Those who do know won’t say and those who don’t know can’t say. The work is open, judge it as you see fit. 

Thanks for your reply, Parma - and I appreciate your stance on the above - I just got side tracked on this thread by those that prefer to run your input down.  Personally I find your writing both informative and thought provoking, so look forward to your posts, whoever you are and wherever you are from - indeed, if you are from this country, which Tilly suggested, then it is a compliment to your command and use of the language which is rare these days.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

One sad element - and I think of investment in the Club, Cantwell or personal attacks on Delia here - is that people seem threatened or wish to judge their own far more harshly, with far less objectivity, than they do others. 

I agree 100% with this, I find it sad how some appear to delight in making overly harsh comments and casting damning verdicts of our own (board / players / managers) not just recently, but always.

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Funny old game Saint. 

You've got to be from the UK using that quote!

Edited by All the Germans
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Does Parma share his Tictacs and violets with you?....