Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The end is nigh....or is it.......

Beat Everton, the world is as it should be, draw with Arsenal close to winning and the world is as it should be. Lose to Sheff Utd, the bottom drops out of the world.......or does it.......still one good result from getting back in touch with the pack.

I'm looking forwards to Leicester and seeing if we can give them a bit of a surprise. The PL this season is proving unpredictable for many clubs .  Take us - Beat Man City, then lose to Watford.....but the reality is we are trying to find a consistent level like everyone else - and not many teams will be able to do that.

No-one likes losing to Sheff Utd/Wilder, but get over it, they have made a good start but will start to struggle as the season goes on - but our season goes on, our challenges lie ahead, not behind.

We can and will improve. All to play for!

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Beat Everton, the world is as it should be, draw with Arsenal close to winning and the world is as it should be. Lose to Sheff Utd, the bottom drops out of the world.......or does it.......still one good result from getting back in touch with the pack.

I'm looking forwards to Leicester and seeing if we can give them a bit of a surprise. The PL this season is proving unpredictable for many clubs .  Take us - Beat Man City, then lose to Watford.....but the reality is we are trying to find a consistent level like everyone else - and not many teams will be able to do that.

No-one likes losing to Sheff Utd/Wilder, but get over it, they have made a good start but will start to struggle as the season goes on - but our season goes on, our challenges lie ahead, not behind.

You missed a game out. Hint: we came second.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What makes you think they will struggle and we will improve? I honestly would love your positivity, but I just can’t 

Have a day, week, month, season off will you.

Same regurgitated nonsense week after week, lots of words, no substance.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Have a day, week, month, season off will you. Same regurgitated nonsense week after week, lots of words, no substance.

No. I could say the same to those that churn out beyond reasonable negative drivel whenever we have poor results.

People seem to just want to be negative for the sake of it, not just on here either. Last season proved beyond doubt that you can change from a struggling team to a winning team, you just have to believe in what you are doing, work hard, keep strong mentally, stick together and you will get results.  What kyboshes most teams in our position is that they lose belief - and we have enough characters in the squad to see that won't happen.

Some of our most vocal fans on here make so much negative "noise" on here that the reality needs pointing out.

We are in a battle and to win that battle it needs everyone - including fans - to be onside with it. Some just plainly not up to it.

10 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No. I could say the same to those that churn out beyond reasonable negative drivel whenever we have poor results.

People seem to just want to be negative for the sake of it, not just on here either. Last season proved beyond doubt that you can change from a struggling team to a winning team, you just have to believe in what you are doing, work hard, keep strong mentally, stick together and you will get results.  What kyboshes most teams in our position is that they lose belief - and we have enough characters in the squad to see that won't happen.

Some of our most vocal fans on here make so much negative "noise" on here that the reality needs pointing out.

We are in a battle and to win that battle it needs everyone - including fans - to be onside with it. Some just plainly not up to it.

So what it boils down to is if we all just believed more we'd be fine?

Don't buy it.

Belief has an awful lot to do with it.  Players have to have it of course, but it helps if fans have it too. Negativity, once set in, is hard to displace - so we have to keep optimistic that things will improve. We've seen seeds of that against Everton and Arsenal. Just need to keep believing!

Lost 11 of 16 Lakey. If there’s too much negativity following a loss for your liking then the simple way for us to have less negativity on the board is to lose less!

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Belief has an awful lot to do with it.  Players have to have it of course, but it helps if fans have it too. Negativity, once set in, is hard to displace - so we have to keep optimistic that things will improve. We've seen seeds of that against Everton and Arsenal. Just need to keep believing!

Talent has an awful lot more to do with it...

56 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

What makes you think they will struggle and we will improve? I honestly would love your positivity, but I just can’t 

Beat me to it. 

It would be interesting to know exactly why Sheffield United are going to start struggling and why we're going to improve, because I didn't see much evidence of this yesterday.

25 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm pretty positive, Lakey. But, as I mentioned in the very first reply to your OP, you've completely erased the Southampton game from your assessment of events.

As you yourself said, you can draw the line wherever you want when it comes to recent form; however, using last week's metric of the last three games, we've gained a single point, and deservedly lost the other two games. Over the last six, over the last eight, over the last ten... whichever way you cut it, we are where we deserve to be right now.

I'm not saying we're down, I'm not saying we're doomed, and I'm not saying I'm not going to cheer and support the team every match. Oh and yeah, I'll actually be going to the matches too, rather than just doing the usual and preaching to people how to support from my armchair 300 miles away.

• Like 1

Anything is possible, but I would expect Leicester to to have too much in their locker for us. I have seen glimpses to be optimistic amount, but you will see the confidence fading from players soon enough if we dont pick up further points soon.

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Belief has an awful lot to do with it.  Just need to keep believing!

After the Everton & Arsenal games I think there was plenty of fan belief when we went to Southampton.

And despite that absolute shambolic effort there was plenty of it on here at half time yesterday.

Very difficult to keep on believing when you are constantly being let down by performances on the pitch.

It's a bit like the lottery, you believe that you will win it one day but you know deep down that you probably won't.

57 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The negative brigade have substance, they have some dreadful defeats, awful performances, they have a 'super keeper' who can't stop conceding, they have this 'super young defense' that cant stop conceding,  they have our most talented player throwing his arms up in the air every time hes brushed off the ball, they have a manager who cant decide his midfield 3, they have Villa, West Ham, Watford, Palace, Burnley, Southampton and the Championship game we lost yesterday.

What do you have? Belief and Man City.

PS. I'm not part of the negative brigade, just a realist and someone who is bored of your crap week in, week out.

Edited by CDMullins
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

What do you have? Belief and Man City.

There is more to it than "Man City".  Everton and Arsenal to start with.  My belief is that we can and will improve. Several clubs in the bottom half of the league at the moment are good clubs, but are struggling. We simply have to find points where we can and it can be against any opponent in any week. No shame to lose to Sheff Utd, they are just another PL side who have been on a good run and such is the quality of the opponents each week, they will have a downturn at some stage, as much as we will have an upsurge - we simply have to look at the next game positively.  Leicester is a huge challenge, but one we should relish.  

The alternative to believing we will improve is believing we won't improve and that just does not make sense to me - it could happen, but I can't "believe" it will happen.  My faith is that we will get better as the season progresses into the second half where the experience we have had in the first half of the season will have taught us some valuable lessons. 

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There is more to it than "Man City".  Everton and Arsenal to start with.  My belief is that we can and will improve. Several clubs in the bottom half of the league at the moment are good clubs, but are struggling. We simply have to find points where we can and it can be against any opponent in any week. No shame to lose to Sheff Utd, they are just another PL side who have been on a good run and such is the quality of the opponents each week, they will have a downturn at some stage, as much as we will have an upsurge - we simply have to look at the next game positively.  Leicester is a huge challenge, but one we should relish.  

The alternative to believing we will improve is believing we won't improve and that just does not make sense to me - it could happen, but I can't "believe" it will happen.  My faith is that we will get better as the season progresses into the second half where the experience we have had in the first half of the season will have taught us some valuable lessons. 

But what makes you think Sheffield United are likely to have a downturn and we're likely to have an upsurge? You're not making those predictions based on anything.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But what makes you think Sheffield United are likely to have a downturn and we're likely to have an upsurge? You're not making those predictions based on anything.

Yes I am.  My instincts.  Might be right, might be wrong, but I'll be amazed if Sheff Utd can sustain what they have been doing so far for the whole season. Equally I'll be amazed if we don't start showing signs of improvement.   Seeing Vrancic come in to the team was a step forwards in that process and he was hugely influential last season - he has the coolness under pressure that we need.  Amadou will imo prove himself along the way and the young players are on a huge learning curve and if Farke manages them well, as I am sure he will, they will prove themselves more as time goes on.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

195 Words there,

Not a shred of evidence, not a piece of analytics and no substance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes I am.  My instincts.  Might be right, might be wrong, but I'll be amazed if Sheff Utd can sustain what they have been doing so far for the whole season. Equally I'll be amazed if we don't start showing signs of improvement.   Seeing Vrancic come in to the team was a step forwards in that process and he was hugely influential last season - he has the coolness under pressure that we need.  Amadou will imo prove himself along the way and the young players are on a huge learning curve and if Farke manages them well, as I am sure he will, they will prove themselves more as time goes on.

Its not even based on instinct it’s just blind hero worship. Its never allowing yourself to question your betters. Frankly it’s sycophantic beyond belief. Hell its almost like a strange form of Stockholm syndrome.

we could sign Jimmy Krankie to play centre half and some on here would be sure “she’d” improve and come good!!

all the evidence points one way and you still won’t concede. Where do you stand on flat earth theory and creationism?

Look, without being negative about it we are going down. If people want to get upset about it and moan about it that is their right, for me it is what it is, I have far bigger things in my life to contend with to get upset over something I have absolutely no control over. We are not a bad side, we are just not quite good enough, personally I am going to enjoy being in the Premiership while it lasts.......

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

If I'm being completely honest, I'll agree with you about Sheffield United. They're a good side and have been playing very well, but I think that there are several better sides than them and I doubt they'll finish in the top half.

I'm not convinced by the 'we will improve' belief, though. We've got some decent players and the technical skill is probably there, but the confidence and the fight isn't at the moment. And the concerning thing is that with every setback it gets worse, and it's a vicious circle that is hard to get out of. Obviously we'll pick up points and wins here and there like against Everton and Arsenal (funnily enough, two teams who were also very low on confidence and had been criticised for not showing enough fight) but once you're in a rut and a run of bad form, it's hard to get out of. Last season was the total opposite: everyone's confidence was sky-high, there was always the belief that we'd come back from behind and there was the habit of winning. This season there's no confidence, little belief (certainly on yesterday's showing) that we can come back from behind and a habit of losing.

For us to break this cycle, something has to change. It could just be a simple thing like a lucky ricochet off Jonny Evans' backside next week that gets us something at Leicester on Saturday. But until the confidence, the fight, the determination and the genuine belief amongst the players improve I can't see our form changing.

Rather than allude to random 'instincts' and 'belief' factors for positivity, why not use actual facts?

For me, one of the most positive things to take from our current situation is despite the fact we were significantly hampered for the first 10 games or so due to an unprecedented injury situation - we're still only 4 points from safety AND there's a group of 8 or 9 teams who are really struggling to show any sign of consistency as of yet.

If we can keep in touching distance until January and make a couple of signings, more than anything just to try and give everyone a lift and press that 'reset' button, we'll be in with a shout again.

If we could get lucky and play well in 3 or 4 games and win 2, draw 1 lose 1 or something similar we'll be in a much better position. Much easier said than done but, a lucky 1-0 or something against the run of play could be a starting block. The caveat is that for me Everton was a great result to build on but our opening half against Southampton ultimately was no where near good enough.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

For us to break this cycle, something has to change. It could just be a simple thing like a lucky ricochet off Jonny Evans' backside next week that gets us something at Leicester on Saturday. But until the confidence, the fight, the determination and the genuine belief amongst the players improve I can't see our form changing.

It kind of feels like Everton should have been that game though- win, a clean sheet with the return of Zimmerman followed up by being unlucky to beat Arsenal- then we just no-showed against Southampton for 45 minutes.

Edited by king canary

1 minute ago, king canary said:

It kind of feels like Everton should have been that game though- win, a clean sheet with the return of Zimmerman followed up by being unlucky to lose to Arsenal- then we just no-showed against Southampton for 45 minutes.

I think you mean unlucky not to beat Arsenal.........

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Its not even based on instinct it’s just blind hero worship. Its never allowing yourself to question your betters. Frankly it’s sycophantic beyond belief. Hell its almost like a strange form of Stockholm syndrome.

we could sign Jimmy Krankie to play centre half and some on here would be sure “she’d” improve and come good!!

all the evidence points one way and you still won’t concede. Where do you stand on flat earth theory and creationism?

Ridiculous, way too short for a CH.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes I do!

Like yourself I thought those two games would signal an upturn in fortunates but then we had the first half at Southampton and  the second half against Sheff Utd to bring us all back down to earth with a bang. DF actually addressed the issues in the Southampton game and we almost snatched an improbable point, for me the bigger concern was the total second half capitulation against Sheff Utd, I am sure most Norwich fans thought Sheff Utd would come out fighting but we  seemed to come out half asleep, it made me wonder what an earth happened in our dressing room at half time, I think we must have had an Ovaltine or something.......