Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Is this the best team ever?

After our fantastic promotion winning season, there were many fans, many of whom have been supporters for decades, who were claiming that this was the best Norwich team that they had ever seen.

I would be interested to revisit this, now that we have seen the team at both ends of the table.

How do the current crop rank for you? Are they as good as the team who beat Bayern Munich in Europe? Are they even as good as the Lambert team who finished 12th?

I don’t think it’s far off from a football technique point of view and I honestly believe it’s better than the Lambert team that finished 12th. Unfortunately everyone else has moved on too.

My worry is that we look weak mentally, especially compared to the Lambert team but even when set against the Alex Neil team.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

This is the best of the Norwich teams that have won promotion from the Championship. Unfortunately we've been found out at Premier League level, but Farke's commitment to our style of football, despite not having the budget to strengthen the team, is laudable. 

9 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

There are quite a few of these kind of posts currently. It's passive anger I suppose.

I haven't seen any on here. Which ones have I missed?

It's not passive anger at all. Whilst I love this team and the whole set up (Webber/Farke etc.), I was a bit dubious when people were saying that it was the best team ever, even though they're entitled to their opinions.

I just want to see if people would stand by what they said, or if they would backtrack a bit now that we're struggling.

The promotion team from last year was certainly a much stronger team than Lamberts promotion team. But... 

I remember Lambert brought in a fair few important reinforcements on promotion. Signings that didn't cost us much money at all. 

We predominantly played a very narrow 442 diamond in the championship, and hence recruited two new wingers in Pilkington and E Bennett who allowed us to try something new. While we certainly gave the promoted squad a chance, both new signings ended up with a lot of game time come the end of the season. 

That is one of the biggest differences imo between that PL campaign and the current one so far. We have nothing but like for like changes for the system we played last season. It is proving incredibly difficult to change games with such subs. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I haven't seen any on here. Which ones have I missed?

It's not passive anger at all. Whilst I love this team and the whole set up (Webber/Farke etc.), I was a bit dubious when people were saying that it was the best team ever, even though they're entitled to their opinions.

I just want to see if people would stand by what they said, or if they would backtrack a bit now that we're struggling.

I opened up the forum this morning to be predictably confronted with negativity. I probably responded to the wrong post if you are serious about the support for our current set up.

34 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

The promotion team from last year was certainly a much stronger team than Lamberts promotion team. But... 

I remember Lambert brought in a fair few important reinforcements on promotion. Signings that didn't cost us much money at all. 

We predominantly played a very narrow 442 diamond in the championship, and hence recruited two new wingers in Pilkington and E Bennett who allowed us to try something new. While we certainly gave the promoted squad a chance, both new signings ended up with a lot of game time come the end of the season. 

That is one of the biggest differences imo between that PL campaign and the current one so far. We have nothing but like for like changes for the system we played last season. It is proving incredibly difficult to change games with such subs. 

Spot on.

That season under Lambert we also bought in Naughton to compete at fullback, Johnson as an upgrade on Crofts and Morrison to keep Holt on his toes. 

Morrison, Pilkington, Naughton and Johnson all started 20+ games in that season. New signings who made a real impact.

• Like 1

We did bring in new signings though. Amadou, Byram, Drmic, Roberts. Jury’s out if they are upgrades as yet. Certainly Byram has performed ok, Amadou hit and miss, the other 2 have barely played. 

Just now, ec-p said:

We did bring in new signings though. Amadou, Byram, Drmic, Roberts. Jury’s out if they are upgrades as yet. Certainly Byram has performed ok, Amadou hit and miss, the other 2 have barely played. 

But that's the point- we've bought in new players that right now can't be claimed to be an upgrade. Fahrmann is clearly second choice. Drmic has done nothing apart from get injured. Roberts can't even get on the bench. Amadou is apparently below a 33 year old Tettey in the pecking order. Byram has been solid when needed. 

Our entire group of summer signings have combined for 15 starts all season, despite an injury crisis and poor form. If they can't break into this squad now then it is difficult to conclude anything other than they've failed to improve the squad.

• Like 2

With any sport it's hard to make comparisons because fitness, nutrition, training methods, tactics have all developed.  If you took the great footballing sides from the past and dropped them straight into the Prem they'd probably struggle in the same way that Bjorn Borg would probably struggle against modern day top players.  Everyone has moved on and improved.

However, take those great sides or players and give them modern methods etc and the greats would still be great. 

I would say our side which nearly won the Prem and had the run in Europe is our greatest ever side.

Last season's side IMO was better than our recent Prem sides under Lambert etc.

The sad thing for me is that this season we have been performing significantly worse than last season in many ways, for a mix of reasons.  I'd have loved to see how last season's team, with some moderate strengthening, would have got on in the Prem, but we've just not had that.  This season's team wouldn't win the Championship on our performance quality so far.