Sign in to follow this  
ridgeman

Simon Hooper

Hooper has proved once again he is unfit to referee in the Premiership. Having shown a red card that player should have gone down the tunnel instead of standing on the touch line. If Hooper was not certain then he should have consulted VAR before making a decision but his decision has now become farcical " off you go oh no come back on". Why was their offside goal checked on VAR the linesman clearly flagged for offside Hooper awarded a free kick they played on put the ball in the net then insisted on VAR. Noticeable that none of his  dodgy decisions against us went to VAR. He didn't have the bottle to book their goalkeeper for persistent time wasting. 

2 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

Hooper has proved once again he is unfit to referee in the Premiership. Having shown a red card that player should have gone down the tunnel instead of standing on the touch line. If Hooper was not certain then he should have consulted VAR before making a decision but his decision has now become farcical " off you go oh no come back on". Why was their offside goal checked on VAR the linesman clearly flagged for offside Hooper awarded a free kick they played on put the ball in the net then insisted on VAR. Noticeable that none of his  dodgy decisions against us went to VAR. He didn't have the bottle to book their goalkeeper for persistent time wasting. 

Maybe somebody can confirm 100 % this happened.

Fact - on Thursday a linesman flagged and Shelvey was the only player who continued. After VAR the goal was given. This was explained as you must carry on until there is a whistle ie no whistle Sheffield Utd should have carried on.

Now a number of people have said today Hooper blew his whistle when the Lino flagged and before the ball went in. Is this correct ? Did that really happen ? If that is the case how the hell did that go to VAR completely the opposite to how it was explained Thursday.

What happened to Lino’s not flagging ? Why could we not have carried on at Liverpool in the first game where we shown not to be offside twice ?

Could anyone confirm 100 % Hooper blew his whistle ? Or didn’t as the case maybe.

Thanks

Hooper 'should' have gone over to review the red card on the screen to check his own decision.....however if theyve been instructed not to do that and leave it to the possibility of corruption within the VAR booth , then Mike Riley needs shooting

11 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Pretty sure I heard a whistle 

If that is correct that is horrendous. So I bet if at Liverpool Pukki had carried on and put the ball in the net there would have been no review, and probably Pukki would have been booked. 

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

If that is correct that is horrendous. So I bet if at Liverpool Pukki had carried on and put the ball in the net there would have been no review, and probably Pukki would have been booked. 

I dont know if there was a whistle, I was the other end of the ground.

However, it does concern me that after the Shelvey decision - football for the last 100 years dictates that the mentality of a footballer will be to see a raised flag and stop. To now continue play ignoring the flag seems a big jump. It also seems to contradict earlier in the season where against Liverpool, in our first game, we were flagged offside on some marginal decisions and there was never any check or waiting for VAR. The play just stopped. 

27 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Could anyone confirm 100 % Hooper blew his whistle ? Or didn’t as the case maybe.

Thanks

Watched it on the stream - He blew the whistle after the Sheff United player had shot but before it went in the net.

Clearly audible (and visible) - 

Edited by kick it off

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Maybe somebody can confirm 100 % this happened.

Fact - on Thursday a linesman flagged and Shelvey was the only player who continued. After VAR the goal was given. This was explained as you must carry on until there is a whistle ie no whistle Sheffield Utd should have carried on.

Now a number of people have said today Hooper blew his whistle when the Lino flagged and before the ball went in. Is this correct ? Did that really happen ? If that is the case how the hell did that go to VAR completely the opposite to how it was explained Thursday.

What happened to Lino’s not flagging ? Why could we not have carried on at Liverpool in the first game where we shown not to be offside twice ?

Thanks

It was down my end. Yes, Hooper definitely blew his whistle. 

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It was down my end. Yes, Hooper definitely blew his whistle. 

Yet the announcement was that VAR was checking for a goal?!.....if think if that would have been awarded I would have walked out if the ground, as I'd been close to doing vs both Man Utd and Arsenal.....and I think our players should probably have come off the pitch in protest.

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I dont know if there was a whistle, I was the other end of the ground.

However, it does concern me that after the Shelvey decision - football for the last 100 years dictates that the mentality of a footballer will be to see a raised flag and stop. To now continue play ignoring the flag seems a big jump. It also seems to contradict earlier in the season where against Liverpool, in our first game, we were flagged offside on some marginal decisions and there was never any check or waiting for VAR. The play just stopped. 

I hate to in any way be seen to be defending Simon Hooper, but I really don't think any of the controversy today was his fault.

There was an incident in the second half when the ball was played through to Mousset who was coming back from what appeared to be an offside position. The linesman flagged, but the play continued - and I was very pleased to see that none of our players stopped even though they had seen the flag. Mousset's shot was blocked and then Hooper correctly gave a free kick to us. 

There was also an incident in the Watford game where Hernandez was put through down the left and crossed it to Pukki who hit the ball straight at Foster from about three yards out. The linesman flagged for offside against Hernandez, but nobody stopped playing. If the ball had ended up in the back of the next on either occasion VAR would have checked to see if the initial offside decision was correct. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Yet the announcement was that VAR was checking for a goal?!.....if think if that would have been awarded I would have walked out if the ground, as I'd been close to doing vs both Man Utd and Arsenal.....and I think our players should probably have come off the pitch in protest.

Hooper blew his whistle because he saw that the linesman had flagged for offside - I've got no problem with that. VAR then checked that the initial offside decision was correct - which it was. 

It was at our end of the ground. He did blow the whistle, but I'm not sure Krul made little attempt to save it because he heard the whistle or because he could not get to what was a good shot. Have not bothered to see the 'highlights'

Today was a poor day for us. Really looked good with Mario back and playing well initially. 

Was never a Red Card, laughable how all these fellow professional footballers roll around to try and get the ref to issue a card.

The offside flagging is one I really don’t like. Yes you should play to the whistle, but if the linesman’s flag goes up, you can’t seriously say that the defenders don’t switch off.

Linesman just shouldn’t be making offside decisions any more. what’s the point of them doing so? If they flag not only do the defenders stop, but also the linesmen themselves are out of position to assist with anything that happens later on. Just let them do line calls and leave the rest to VAR.

10 minutes ago, daly said:

Was never a Red Card, laughable how all these fellow professional footballers roll around to try and get the ref to issue a card.

What's laughable is that it ended up a yellow. The one thing it couldn't have been. 

27 minutes ago, daly said:

Well I’ve just seen it for the first time. Read the rule ( undue force ) and not the VAR interpretation it was a red. Hooper was a couple of yards away and his experience being next to the players would have meant he could judge far more than somebody 150 miles away. Had that right foot had connected ( there was no way he did not mean to go in physically ) he would have broken McCleans leg. Even if you are not 100 % convinced can you really honestly say it was a clear and obvious error - I think not. If that had been McClean on Rashford do you believe for 1 second it would have been overturned ?

The disallowed goal there is clearly a whistle before the ball crossed the line therefore based on the explanation from Thursday there was absolutely no way that the Visual Assistant to Relegate smaller clubs should have been involved and Hooper himself should have been telling those making the decision no need as the ball was dead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

The disallowed goal there is clearly a whistle before the ball crossed the line therefore based on the explanation from Thursday there was absolutely no way that the Visual Assistant to Relegate smaller clubs should have been involved and Hooper himself should have been telling those making the decision no need as the ball was dead.

I think I know why VAR was involved. Before the flag goes up for offside, there's a collision between a Norwich player (Hernandez?) and another SU player who is in an onside position. They might have been checking for a penalty. If the offside decision had been incorrect, VAR might have decided it was a penalty instead.

The one-eyed Hooper fantasists really need to let it go, by the way. He was fine yesterday. VAR was farcical, but we knew that already.

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I hate to in any way be seen to be defending Simon Hooper, but I really don't think any of the controversy today was his fault.

There was an incident in the second half when the ball was played through to Mousset who was coming back from what appeared to be an offside position. The linesman flagged, but the play continued - and I was very pleased to see that none of our players stopped even though they had seen the flag. Mousset's shot was blocked and then Hooper correctly gave a free kick to us. 

There was also an incident in the Watford game where Hernandez was put through down the left and crossed it to Pukki who hit the ball straight at Foster from about three yards out. The linesman flagged for offside against Hernandez, but nobody stopped playing. If the ball had ended up in the back of the next on either occasion VAR would have checked to see if the initial offside decision was correct. 

I agree Thirsty. I actually had a bit of me that felt sorry for Hooper yesterday. Having said that, I hope there is a very fluid dialogue going on between the Refs on the pitch and the VAR head honchos, as to what effects are happening in each game, for the players and the fans and the 'beautiful' game.

Hooper, whilst not at fault over the VAR stuff, was most definitely not ‘fine’. Time wasting not punished, Lundstram got away with multiple tactical fouls and no consistency for either side.

Also how on earth were there only 6 minutes of stoppage time? Clues in the title of stoppage. I’m too disappointed by our performance and football in general to go back and check but I’d put my mortgage on the fact it’s closer to double the amount of stoppages that actually occurred.

2 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Hooper, whilst not at fault over the VAR stuff, was most definitely not ‘fine’. Time wasting not punished, Lundstram got away with multiple tactical fouls and no consistency for either side.

Also how on earth were there only 6 minutes of stoppage time? Clues in the title of stoppage. I’m too disappointed by our performance and football in general to go back and check but I’d put my mortgage on the fact it’s closer to double the amount of stoppages that actually occurred.

Have you ever refereed a game, Zac? Just curious.

For the record, I agree there should have been more stoppage time, but that's a trend that's occurred throughout this season under VAR. I think people's views of Hooper are still skewed because of one ludicrous decision more than four years ago. He booked one of their players in the first half for delaying the restart by kicking the ball away a small amount... how many times have you seen that unpunished this season?

6 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Have you ever refereed a game, Zac? Just curious.

For the record, I agree there should have been more stoppage time, but that's a trend that's occurred throughout this season under VAR. I think people's views of Hooper are still skewed because of one ludicrous decision more than four years ago. He booked one of their players in the first half for delaying the restart by kicking the ball away a small amount... how many times have you seen that unpunished this season?

Just my opinion. Because it’s a trend this season doesn’t mean it’s right to get the stoppage time so ludicrously wrong. They’re changing VAR rules as the season goes on, supposedly for the better so why is this being ignored.

My view’s not at all skewed by the past. I don’t think he was fair or consistent to either side (as I have already stated). As bad as it was, I moved on from the Jerome incident, erm, about 4 years ago. I actually think Oliver is one of the better referees (with the odd clanger now and then) yet believe his decision to send off Holty vs Reading was worse than Hoopers. No grudges here.

Good on him for the one booking he got right for time wasting. Makes it all the worse then that he wasn’t consistent from then on. He bottled it on too many occasions.

And no, I haven’t refereed a game in my life. I’ve got eyes though and an opinion on what’s a good refereeing performance, I don’t think I need to have been a referee to have that.

Can someone confirm with the joys of VAR then - even though Hooper blew his whistle, before the goal had gone in, had the player not been offside would VAR have given the goal? If so VAR is even more farcical than I thought, and I already think it's an absolute disgrace and middle finger to every single fan that pays to go see their team play in person.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Can someone confirm with the joys of VAR then - even though Hooper blew his whistle, before the goal had gone in, had the player not been offside would VAR have given the goal? If so VAR is even more farcical than I thought, and I already think it's an absolute disgrace and middle finger to every single fan that pays to go see their team play in person.

I don't think VAR would have awarded the goal.

Had the player have been onside they would next have looked at the penalty claim. Had that not have been deemed a penalty I'd have no idea what would come next but that would be Simon Hoopers problem for blowing the whistle so soon. I've never seen play reinstated after a referee have blown a whistle and Hooper is lucky they actually were offside.

4 hours ago, Hillhead said:

I don't think VAR would have awarded the goal.

Had the player have been onside they would next have looked at the penalty claim. Had that not have been deemed a penalty I'd have no idea what would come next but that would be Simon Hoopers problem for blowing the whistle so soon. I've never seen play reinstated after a referee have blown a whistle and Hooper is lucky they actually were offside.

They specifically said it was for the offside, never checked a penalty. The whistle had gone, why could Hooper not tell them ‘ sorry I have already blown ‘

5 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Just my opinion. Because it’s a trend this season doesn’t mean it’s right to get the stoppage time so ludicrously wrong. They’re changing VAR rules as the season goes on, supposedly for the better so why is this being ignored.

My view’s not at all skewed by the past. I don’t think he was fair or consistent to either side (as I have already stated). As bad as it was, I moved on from the Jerome incident, erm, about 4 years ago. I actually think Oliver is one of the better referees (with the odd clanger now and then) yet believe his decision to send off Holty vs Reading was worse than Hoopers. No grudges here.

Good on him for the one booking he got right for time wasting. Makes it all the worse then that he wasn’t consistent from then on. He bottled it on too many occasions.

And no, I haven’t refereed a game in my life. I’ve got eyes though and an opinion on what’s a good refereeing performance, I don’t think I need to have been a referee to have that.

We'll agree to differ. What I will say, though, is insufficient added time due to VAR and lenient handling of timewasting are two things that are pretty universal among referees. Be honest, when was the last time you said (or saw someone say) "the ref was really strict on timewasting, he clamped down on it early and ended up booking four players for it"?

"Eyes and an opinion" is no substitute for having spent a few seasons with a whistle, trust me on that. Once you've spent a bunch of afternoons being the only person on your team, and having to make 50/50 decisions on the spot in full knowledge you're going to p*ss off one set of players/supporters, you'll have a lot more empathy for referees.

Edited by Feedthewolf