Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Why do we strive for promotion

One question for our clubs board, and our fans, is why do we strive for promotion, when we spend nothing on strengthening the team to stay in the Premiership.

We are this years whipping boys (even Watford-the leagues basement team beat us), we are crumbling every game, and it's so painful for every single fan that we have to endure this.

Why are we even striving for promotion to the promised land if you don't invest in the team to strengthen and improve. Villa & Fulham have shown just spending doesn't secure survival, but the difference I feel is most on here do believe we have a very good coach in Farke and Webber, both who have the capability of taking us forward.

Yet to try and survive on a team, that whilst winning the championship, leaked goals for fun last year, was always asking for trouble. We were all concerned about our defence at the start of this campaign, before we kicked a ball. Even with Zimm back, our defence continues to fail in fending off set pieces, and constantly makes silly errors, that lead to goals every game.

I don't want to go down the "sack the board" because it's been done to death, but what ambition is there when we don't want to invest "sensibly" in trying to become an establised premiership team. Several loans, freebies, and a £700k are one talking point, but I can't believe Webber couldn't unearth potentially better players for sensible money in the summer.

It's hard to know where the goals, or wins are going to come from, else we're leaping head first back to the Championship at an increasing speed as every game passes.

40 years supporting ncfc and it's hard battling with how we approach promotion each time 

I;m worried about an air of apathy and disinterest in any potential promotion campaign going forwards. Part of what got us over the line last year was the fans being excited and right behind the team, i fear a return to the AN era atmosphere of disinterest. 

Imagine we're going well next year, in the top3/4 still playing our style but conceding lots of goals, still looking weak in the air, still being a side that lacks pace and physicality you couldn't blame fans for being not that bothered if we get promoted or not because we know what the next season will be like.That apathy could bleed into the culture at the club and hinder us going forwards. If the atmosphere is flat and fans aren't really into it could you still see the team busting a gut and every sinew to win every ball and force the ball into the back of the net right up to the 97th minute like they were last year? i could see an air of resignation having over us.  I don't know what the solution is, but it's a concern for me.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann